First overnight trip LAX - IND with an infant in December

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davids

Train Attendant
Getting nervous and excited for my first overnight LD trip next month from LAX to CHI and finally to IND for baby's first visit to grandma. I use AGR points for all legs except CHI-IND and IND-CHI legs. There will be the 3 of us, me, my wife and our 4 month old baby and we will have a roomette all the way. Baby will sleep with wife on the lower bunk. We did a trip from LAX to SLO roundtrip in a roomette last month just to test it out how comfortable my wife and the baby sleep in the lower bed and how the baby react sleeping on the train. They both did good, granted my wife is only 5'5'' tall and about 115 lbs.

Here's our itinary below:

Outbound: LAX-CHI on Texas Eagle. Stay overnight in CHI for sightseeing. (Wife has never been to Chicago). Then continue to IND on the Cardinal.

Inbound: IND-CHI on the Cardinal. Stay 1 night in CHI, then board Empire Builder to PDX and finally Coast Starlight to LAX.

On the inbound trip, amtrak.com does not offer Cardinal-Empire Builder-Coast Starlight option unless if I start in Chicago. That's why I start my AGR trip in CHI instead of IND and have to pay for IND-CHI leg. :(

I know it's not the most direct route, and EB is notoriously always late, but for more train time, I'll take my chances.

We only have 2 hours and 45 minutes layover in PDX, what is the chance that we miss our connection to CS? I don't mind if we miss the connection to CS, I am just hoping that we will not be bussed or loose our roomette for the next day CS.

I requested roomette #9 or #10 for TE, EB and CS so if our baby cries in the middle of the night, she will not bother too many people since #9 or #10 has only 1 adjoining room next to it. I would personally prefer roomette in the center of the car for better ride, my consolation is our roomette might be next to the railfan window as we will be on the last car on TE and EB.

What are the cold breakfast choices on EB last day before reaching PDX?

Any other insights and tips as far as for traveling with an infant in December, roomette#9 and #10 location, and scenery are really well appreciated.

Thanks

David

Looking at the arrival history, my chance is slim to make the connection to CS. Do you know if amtrak sent these pax to a hotel in PDX to catch CS on the next day?

History for Amtrak 27 at PDX Origin Date Sch AR Act AR Comments Service Disruption Cancellations 11/11/2014 11/11/2014 11:40 AM 6:53PM Arrived: 7 hours and 13 minutes late. 11/10/2014 11/10/2014 11:40 AM 7:03PM Arrived: 7 hours and 23 minutes late. 11/09/2014 11/09/2014 11:40 AM 2:14PM Arrived: 2 hours and 34 minutes late. 11/08/2014 11/08/2014 11:40 AM 9:34PM Arrived: 9 hours and 54 minutes late. 11/07/2014 11/07/2014 11:40 AM 12:58PM Arrived: 1 hour and 18 minutes late. 11/06/2014 11/06/2014 11:40 AM 5:45PM Arrived: 6 hours and 5 minutes late. 11/05/2014 11/05/2014 11:40 AM 3:32PM Arrived: 3 hours and 52 minutes late. 11/04/2014 11/04/2014 11:40 AM 5:10PM Arrived: 5 hours and 30 minutes late. 11/03/2014 11/03/2014 11:40 AM 5:57PM Arrived: 6 hours and 17 minutes late. 11/02/2014 11/02/2014 11:40 AM 6:34PM Arrived: 6 hours and 54 minutes late. 11/01/2014 11/01/2014 11:40 AM 3:53PM Arrived: 4 hours and 13 minutes late.

Thanks

David

Looking at the arrival history, my chance is slim to make the connection to CS. Do you know if amtrak sent these pax to a hotel in PDX to catch CS on the next day?

History for Amtrak 27 at PDX Origin Date Sch AR Act AR Comments Service Disruption Cancellations 11/11/2014 11/11/2014 11:40 AM 6:53PM Arrived: 7 hours and 13 minutes late. 11/10/2014 11/10/2014 11:40 AM 7:03PM Arrived: 7 hours and 23 minutes late. 11/09/2014 11/09/2014 11:40 AM 2:14PM Arrived: 2 hours and 34 minutes late. 11/08/2014 11/08/2014 11:40 AM 9:34PM Arrived: 9 hours and 54 minutes late. 11/07/2014 11/07/2014 11:40 AM 12:58PM Arrived: 1 hour and 18 minutes late. 11/06/2014 11/06/2014 11:40 AM 5:45PM Arrived: 6 hours and 5 minutes late. 11/05/2014 11/05/2014 11:40 AM 3:32PM Arrived: 3 hours and 52 minutes late. 11/04/2014 11/04/2014 11:40 AM 5:10PM Arrived: 5 hours and 30 minutes late. 11/03/2014 11/03/2014 11:40 AM 5:57PM Arrived: 6 hours and 17 minutes late. 11/02/2014 11/02/2014 11:40 AM 6:34PM Arrived: 6 hours and 54 minutes late. 11/01/2014 11/01/2014 11:40 AM 3:53PM Arrived: 4 hours and 13 minutes late.

Thanks

David
I just realized the table is hard to read, I tried to copy and paste the table but did not work and don't know how to fix it. :(

You will be given a boxed breakfast by your SCA after leaving Spokane on #27 when the sun comes up, usually somewhere along the Columbia. It's OK but not as good as the Boxed dinners they serve leaving Portland on #8.

There are numerous trip reports here on AU about these routes, I encourage you to read them so as to get an idea of what to look for on your trains!

As for the connection in PDX, its a crspshoot as to whether y'all will make your connection in PDX from #27 to #11. Odds are against you with what's happening on the High Line! The real problem is that the CS is a popular train and there might not be rooms available on the next days #11 after being put up on Amtraks dime in PDX resulting in riding Coach to LAX!

I'd suggest you consider booking the Southwest Chief from CHI- LAX, its a historic route ( old ATSF) and a realiable, well run train with a good OTP Record!

Nice trip, y'all have a ball and please share your trip reports with us!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently, the connection between the EB and CS is broken and not guaranteed, but nobody knows for how long. Right now, AGR is allowing a 1 night stopover in PDX, but at your expense (you must pay for the hotel and take the next CS).

3 things --

Your planned trip with the CHI layovers and the infant -- very likely works really good.

The connection from WB EB -- (sheesh - that's ambiguous at best) -- from the Westbound #27 to the Coast Starlight at Portland -- is likely to fail. If AGR has given you a 2-zone redemption that includes connecting from the #27 to the #11 at PDX -- that can be rescinded any time. Hold what you've got. Consider alternatives.

Traveling by train with an infant to see grandparents -- OMG -- bless you and all.

Traveling with a wee babe on Amtrak - especially if you have a roomette -- super good!

Currently, the connection between the EB and CS is broken and not guaranteed, but nobody knows for how long. Right now, AGR is allowing a 1 night stopover in PDX, but at your expense (you must pay for the hotel and take the next CS).
Are you sure the EB #27 to CS #11 connection is not guaranteed? I have my e-ticket already. It shows #27 arrives in PDX at 11:40 am and connect to CS on the same day at 2:25 pm. Now, I am confused. If it is not a guaranteed connection, why would amtrak publish it on their website and why my e-ticket shows the same day connection?

I know it is a huge gamble to connect the same day to CS, and if we miss the connection we may not get a roomette on CS the next day. For that reason, I am thinking to book a roomette with AGR points on CS the day after EB arrives in PDX as my safety net. If we can make the connection to CS on the same day EB arrives in PDX then I will call AGR to cancel my next day CS trip. If we miss the connection and there's no available roomette on the next day CS, then I will call AGR to use my room that I already book on CS and refund my AGR point back to my account. Do you think this will work? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks

David

3 things --

Your planned trip with the CHI layovers and the infant -- very likely works really good.

The connection from WB EB -- (sheesh - that's ambiguous at best) -- from the Westbound #27 to the Coast Starlight at Portland -- is likely to fail. If AGR has given you a 2-zone redemption that includes connecting from the #27 to the #11 at PDX -- that can be rescinded any time. Hold what you've got. Consider alternatives.

Traveling by train with an infant to see grandparents -- OMG -- bless you and all.

Traveling with a wee babe on Amtrak - especially if you have a roomette -- super good!
Thank you for your compliment. Yes, it is booked as a 2-zone redemption for now.

I am hoping that our baby will co-operate during the long trip. There is not much room to maneuver to calm the baby in our little roomette. Actually, our baby will see grandma only, my dad passed away in January this year from a cancer. Too bad he did not get a chance to see his new grand daughter, but hey, he is seeing her from up above now. :)

You will be given a boxed breakfast by your SCA after leaving Spokane on #27 when the sun comes up, usually somewhere along the Columbia. It's OK but not as good as the Boxed dinners they serve leaving Portland on #8.

There are numerous trip reports here on AU about these routes, I encourage you to read them so as to get an idea of what to look for on your trains!

As for the connection in PDX, its a crspshoot as to whether y'all will make your connection in PDX from #27 to #11. Odds are against you with what's happening on the High Line! The real problem is that the CS is a popular train and there might not be rooms available on the next days #11 after being put up on Amtraks dime in PDX resulting in riding Coach to LAX!

I'd suggest you consider booking the Southwest Chief from CHI- LAX, its a historic route ( old ATSF) and a realiable, well run train with a good OTP Record!

Nice trip, y'all have a ball and please share your trip reports with us!!
Hi Jim,

Thank you for your advise. I already booked Cardinal to CHI then SWC to LAX for my inbound trip. This morning I did some test booking, then the EB to CS came up if I start in CHI. I immediately called amtrak to modify my booking.It gives me more train time and a chance to ride 2 of Amtrak most scenic routes eventhough now I have to pay for my IND-CHI trip. :(

Hopefully, next time when I am on SWC, they have not detoured it from Raton Pass.

Yes, I will share my trip. Thank you Jim.

Regards,

David

Enjoy Chicago, when you get here. Despite the cold, December is a wonderful time to be in the city, with the Christmas lights, and decorations.

Good to know Amtrak is allowing the #27 to #11 Connection again but as was said it doesn't look likely you'll make the connection resulting in a night in PDX on Amtrak's dime!

Portland is a great place!(if it wasn't for the winters and the cost I'd live there!) Maybe y'all will get lucky and make the connection but if you don't as you say you're covered and get to ride the Hi Line! Amtrak, always an adventure!

We had friends do a 2 nite trip with an infant. They said 1st night was fine but 2nd was pretty rough.

Have to say this... please forgive me... boarding the EB with an infant may have an arrival with a toddler.

I received a phone call from Amtrak informing me that the EB #27 to CS #11 is no longer a guaranteed connection. I have to pay a night stay in PDX on my own dime, but they still honor the 2-zone award. Bummer... :(

I reworked my itinary and decided to do a side trip from IND to NOL. I was contemplating whether I should use my rewards for IND-NOL leg or just pay with cash. Since the lowest bucket from IND to NOL is for only $198.00 in a roomette upgrade on Cardinal and CONO, I decided to pay with cash for this leg so I can save my rewards for longer and pricey trip in the future. Thanks to amsnag.

We will stay a couple night in NOL, then go back to LAX via CONO and SWC

Glad it worked out and Amtrak seems to be doing a better job of communication!

Nice price for the trip to NOL and of course yall will love it there!

Good idea to save points for a longer trip! Please keep us up to date on the trip, were envious!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back