First time riding the rails

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the Train Photography Section of this Forum, lots of info and tips there! Some of our members take pro level pics and videos and really are knowledgeable and helpful about photography!

I do a solo in a roomette. I have two pieces of luggage with me, a standard 4 wheel rolling piece and a backpack full of my electronics, laptop, multiple cameras, their accessories, and important papers for trip. I take my backpack with me to the dining car. If I cant stick the backpack on the floor by my legs, they can place it on one of the unused dining tables while I eat. I don't think they like the idea, but don't object either. Sometimes I can place it on the seat next to me, but that depends if they need to sit anyone next to me.

The rolling piece of luggage goes with me in the sleeper. At Penn, the station is the same height as the car, no steps. But when I disembark at Orlando, they help lower my luggage to the ground. They warn.. its not light :)

Bruce-SSR

Please read the Train Photography Section of this Forum, lots of info and tips there! Some of our members take pro level pics and videos and really are knowledgeable and helpful about photography!
I have been checking out the section quite a bit. It is helpful and a lot of good tips and pics.

I do a solo in a roomette. I have two pieces of luggage with me, a standard 4 wheel rolling piece and a backpack full of my electronics, laptop, multiple cameras, their accessories, and important papers for trip. I take my backpack with me to the dining car. If I cant stick the backpack on the floor by my legs, they can place it on one of the unused dining tables while I eat. I don't think they like the idea, but don't object either. Sometimes I can place it on the seat next to me, but that depends if they need to sit anyone next to me.

The rolling piece of luggage goes with me in the sleeper. At Penn, the station is the same height as the car, no steps. But when I disembark at Orlando, they help lower my luggage to the ground. They warn.. its not light :)

Bruce-SSR
I like the backpack ideal. Instead of a regular backpack with boring things in it I will just stick my computer in it, camera, hand purse, and electronic accessories instead of the computer bag. I won't mind backpacking around Chicago. Then I don't have to worry about leaving anything valuable behind! :p

--

What are the costs like on a dining car versus where snacks are sold?

Here is the Dining Car menu for the Southwest Chief:

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/230/404/Southwest-Chief-Dining-Car-Menu-0514.pdf

Here is a Lounge Car menu from 2012:

attachicon.gif
100_9372.jpg
I didn't know you can buy souvenir items from the cafe car. Will they have souvenir items for sale on the Zephyr?

I didn't know you can buy souvenir items from the cafe car. Will they have souvenir items for sale on the Zephyr?
That photo is from the Crescent, but I've seen the same menu on other trains.

Souvenir items are hit or miss, and if they do have stock, it can run out quickly. If you're hoping to get something, head down as soon as the cafe opens for business at the beginning of the run.

Here is the Dining Car menu for the Southwest Chief:

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/230/404/Southwest-Chief-Dining-Car-Menu-0514.pdf

Here is a Lounge Car menu from 2012:

attachicon.gif
100_9372.jpg
Depends. I tried to get a lapel pin on the Cardinal and they did not have them. I ended up getting it from the online Amtrak store when I had other things to order (S&H is high for such a small item).

Here is the "current" Cafe Car menu: http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/829/273/National-Cafe-Menu-2013.pdf

Sarah, the Cafe Menu is the same on the trains - it's the National Cafe Menu

I would take valuables (like your purse, wallet and cell phone) with you to the other car or location. Myself, if my computer or camera is not taken out and it does not look like that in the bag (an example is the bag is the mentioned backpack), I may not carry it with me. If you did, you can generally tell if the others around you are "trustworthy". (Most are.) You might even ask your seatmate if s/he will watch your computer while you use the restroom. I have done so with no problems.

Even if someone does take something, most likely they're still on the train. Very few people get off while the train is moving at 79 mph! If something is wrong, alert an attendant, staff or the conductor ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting back to an early question about checked back, you'll understand the HUGE difference between airlines and trains with this story.

I checked my bag in Atlanta to final destination for trip to El Paso. We overnighted in a hotel on our own dime in New Orleans. When we got to NOL that evening, I realized there was an item in the checked bag I needed so I stopped the guy with the baggage cart taking it to our other train and told him the situation and showed him my claim check. He patiently waited while I took the bag off the cart to the floor, opened it, removed what I needed, closed it up and put it back on the cart. Then he drove it to the other train which was leaving in the AM.

Try doing THAT on a plane!

Thanks everybody!

I came out with a lot more helpful information than I came looking for which is great. I'm pretty excited to take a train for a first time rather than flying! :)

Maybe I can pull this off without it looking like it's my first time... ^_^

What's it like taking pictures from a train? I'm alright with moving objects but would the observation car be the best area?
Here are some snapshots from my April trip on the Coast Starlight from L. A. to Seattle. They were all taken with my cell phone, a BlackBerry Z10, with no special equipment or techniques. Just point and shoot. Most were taken from the Parlour Car, which has windows similar to what you will have in the Sightseer Lounge aboard your trains, but some were taken from the dining car which has about the same windows and view that you will have from Coach.

IMG_20140423_120114.jpg

The California coast near Ventura.

IMG_20140423_120455.jpg

California coast near Santa Barbara.

IMG_20140423_135020.jpg

California coast near Vandenberg AFB, as taken from the dining car.

IMG_20140423_150337.jpg

Central Valley agriculture. Reflections in the glass are something you need to watch out for.

IMG_20140424_182449.jpg

Steak dinner in the dining car. Try getting that on an airline!

The CZ lounge car attendant used to sell souvenir coffee mugs that were "bottomless". Used mine for many ywars on that train before I went off coffee cold turkey. Most attendants no longer honor these bottomless mugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

3) ... Because in airports once you get through security you aren't allowed to leave the terminal until you are at your final destination, regardless of how long the layover is.

Where did you ever get that idea from? Except for international arrivals where you need to clear Immigration and Customs, there is nobody who is going to stop you from leaving an airport while making a connection. And to get back through security, all you need is a boarding pass for the flight from there. TSA will not know or care that you are making a connection rather than originating there.

In fact at some airports, if you're changing airlines, you will need to exit the secure side and re-enter at another terminal (there are even some places where an airline's operation is split between terminals and you need to do so for online connections although are pretty rare these days.

The only situation I know of where you can't leave the airport is if making a "Transit without Visa" (connecting in a country where a visa is required to enter but not for connecting). And some places, even that does not stop you from exiting if desired. Ironically, while transit without visa is no longer permitted in the U.S., a transit without visa in China allows a stop of up to 72 hours (and you can leave, go into the city, stay in a hotel for three nights, and do some sightseeing).

3) ... Because in airports once you get through security you aren't allowed to leave the terminal until you are at your final destination, regardless of how long the layover is.

Where did you ever get that idea from? Except for international arrivals where you need to clear Immigration and Customs, there is nobody who is going to stop you from leaving an airport while making a connection. And to get back through security, all you need is a boarding pass for the flight from there. TSA will not know or care that you are making a connection rather than originating there.

In fact at some airports, if you're changing airlines, you will need to exit the secure side and re-enter at another terminal (there are even some places where an airline's operation is split between terminals and you need to do so for online connections although are pretty rare these days.

The only situation I know of where you can't leave the airport is if making a "Transit without Visa" (connecting in a country where a visa is required to enter but not for connecting). And some places, even that does not stop you from exiting if desired. Ironically, while transit without visa is no longer permitted in the U.S., a transit without visa in China allows a stop of up to 72 hours (and you can leave, go into the city, stay in a hotel for three nights, and do some sightseeing).
The only way you can get out of the terminals is walking out to the baggage claim, then you have to re-do security all over again. I'm not personally a fan of being felt up just to go sight seeing for a few hours. So I was always taught to stay in the terminal. Saying it's impossible to leave the airport may have been the wrong words to say.

I had another question about the train ride. I am a few days away from riding the rails and someone in my ambulance corps said when he rode Amtrak awhile back that you are supposed to tip the luggage cart guy takimg your luggage. Does this have to be done? Im slightly curious cause he had a grin on his face.

Passengers would ask me "am I supposed to tip?" regarding various services.

My stock response was always "Tipping is at your discretion. There's no rule saying you must, and there's no rule saying you can't."

In actual fact, it is traditional to tip for these services; but as an employee I couldn't say that because it could be construed as soliciting tips, which is a violation of the rules.

My quick personal guide to tipping:

Red Caps (baggage handlers in the station): $2 a bag.

Sleeping car attendants: $10 per night for good service (beds made up and taken down when requested; coffee/juice/water and ice available during all normal hours; help with luggage in and out of the car. ETA: Keeping the restrooms clean!). If they serve meals in your room, tip them for that service as well.

Dining Car waiters: tip as you would for the same meal in a restaurant.

Cafe/Lounge attendants: I normally don't tip for a simple, routine purchase, but if they heat up a snack or prepare a mixed drink I recommend tipping as you would a bartender.

Coach attendants: I normally don't tip unless they help out with some personal service such as serving meals at my seat or assisting me with luggage.

The train's operating crew (Conductors, Assistant Conductors, Engineers) is never tipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
My quick personal guide to tipping:

Sleeping car attendants: $10 per night for good service (beds made up and taken down when requested; coffee/juice/water and ice available during all normal hours; help with luggage in and out of the car. ETA: Keeping the restrooms clean!). If they serve meals in your room, tip them for that service as well.

Dining Car waiters: tip as you would for the same meal in a restaurant.

Cafe/Lounge attendants: I normally don't tip for a simple, routine purchase, but if they heat up a snack or prepare a mixed drink I recommend tipping as you would a bartender.

Coach attendants: I normally don't tip unless they help out with some personal service such as serving meals at my seat or assisting me with luggage.

The train's operating crew (Conductors, Assistant Conductors, Engineers) is never tipped.
Sounds fair enough to me, thanks!

Sounds fair enough to me, thanks!
Just to make clear: The "Red Cap" is an employee who meets you (ideally) at curbside and helps you with your luggage to the trainside (and/or the checked baggage counter), or vice versa. I always tip them for this service. In addition, at some major stations such as Chicago they staff baggage storage rooms associated with the Metropolitan Lounges or Club Acelas where first class passengers can leave their carry-on luggage for a few hours; I normally tip $1 a bag or so for this service as well. (In many cases Amtrak will also store luggage for Coach passengers at stations which handle checked baggage, but there is a set fee for this service...something like $4 a bag.)

The gentleman (or lady) who checks in your luggage at the ticket counter to place it on the train as checked baggage, and the corresponding employee who releases your checked luggage back to you at the other end of your trip (whether at a carousel in a baggage room or more informally directly off a cart at trainside at the smaller stations) is not a Red Cap, and does not expect a tip. (Special services, such as helping you with your bags out to your car, excepted, of course.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back