First Timer...procedure?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Matt

This is my first time taking an Amtrak trip and I am excited. I don't leave for a month but I was wondering what the procedure is. I haven't gotten my tickets yet...how long do they take to arrive?

The train leaves at 4:15AM from the station. When should I arrive? Will I know where to go to get on the train?? Who takes my bags?? Are there any security things I have to do?? Can I lock my suitcase??

Sorry for all the questions I am just a little nervous as the station is only open from Midnight to 8AM and I am a little worried as to how it is going to go.

When did you book your trip? Did you pick for them to be mailed to you, or did you select station pick-up (assuming your station has that option)? I don't know how long they take to arrive (since I always do station pick-up), but if they take more than two weeks, call Amtrak to see what's up.

If your train is on-time, you should arrive no later than 4:00 AM for a 4:15 AM train. The station should have some sort of signage about where to wait. If your station is staffed (hard to tell, since I don't know where you're coming from), the agent should let you know where to go.

You can lock your suitcase if you want. If you are carrying your bags on the train with you, then you take them yourself (if you need assistance, a member of the train crew can help you). If your station offers checked baggage, and you want to take advantage of that service, arrive about a half hour early (at busier stations, maybe less at smaller stations) to check your bags.

Make sure you have a photo ID on you in case a member of the train crew requests it. Also, check with the agent or call 1800-USA-RAIL (1800-872-7245) to determine whether your train is on time.

Didn't your reservations agent go over all of these details with you? If you booked with live person you should be told all of these things. Even the Amtrak website gives some general guidelines about check-in (such as it is) and baggage limitations.

The tickets, if you chose to have them delivered via the mail, will be printed roughly two weeks after the order has been placed. They will be printed earlier than that if you chose a date less than a month in advance.

If you are departing from an "unstaffed" station, there will be no person there. "Unstaffed" means just that - no ticket agent at the desk, no checked baggage service, nothing. Just a waiting room with a parking lot outside. If your departure is at 0-dark-thirty, plan on getting there by 4 AM. make sure to call the toll fre number to find out if the train will arrive on time, though.

Airport style security really doesn't work with Amtrak, as trains are so different than air travel that any sort of airport-style security can be easily bypassed or nullified.

I am going from Lincoln, NE (LNK) to Chicago, IL (CHI) on MLK weekend (14th - 16th). I would like to be able to check one of my bags since it's a big suitcase and I don't want to lug it all around. I booked my ticket online about 10 days ago. They have little information about the Lincoln, NE station. In fact I don't even know where it is LOL! I might go check it out before my trip.

Thanks for the tips though.

I assume you purchased your tickets on line or by phone and just have not received them in the mail. The tickets should arrive no later than about two weeks prior to your departure. If you do not get them by that time, call Amtrak reservations and find out what’s up. They may have coded them for station pick-up. Amtrak has been known to foul up on ticket distribution.

Lincoln NE offers checked baggage service, so if you are carrying more than one or two standard “carry-on” sized bags, I would check the larger ones through. If, however, you only have minimal luggage, carry it on with you and save the hassle. If you are checking bags, get to the station at least 30 minutes early. The one and only baggage clerk can get pretty busy as train time nears. Checked baggage on Amtrak is a decidedly low-tech operation.

The only “security” issues are a check of a photo ID by the ticket agent (if you get your tickets at the station) and a possible ID check on the train as your ticket is lifted. There are no baggage checks, but the size and weight of all bags is being closely scrutinized, so check the Amtrak requirements

here.

The eastbound California Zephyr, Amtrak Train 6, is notoriously late. Several hours late is not uncommon. I would suggest checking the Amtrak web site or calling Amtrak reservations to check the status prior to leaving for the station. The train is scheduled to leave Denver at about 7:30 mountain time (8:30 central time) the night before. Most of the delays encountered by the train occur between California and Denver. Checking train status the night before may save you hours of waiting at the station in Lincoln. Find out how late the train was when it departed Denver. Allow for the possibility that it could make up some time, maybe up to an hour or a little more. If it left Denver 90 minutes late, I would assume the possibility of a nearly on-time arrival at Lincoln (not at all probable, but I would not take the chance of a miracle). But if it left Denver four hours late, then I would assume no less than two to three hours late at Lincoln and catch a little more sleep.

Enjoy your trip and stop back here with any questions or a final report on your experience.

I'm originally from Lincoln, so can help with the directional issues (although I've never taken the train out of Lincoln, so don't know anything about station operations).

The station is just off of downtown in the haymarket district. Are you familiar with that area? If you know where the main post office building is, then the station is just down the street. You can't miss it. I think there is a big metal mural of a steam locomotive on the station exterior wall, and there are usually several freight cars parked there on siding. For historical reasons, the station building is large. However, as far as I know, the Zepher is the only train that still stops there.

www.amtrak.com ought to have the station's exact street address. Mapquest.com can show you where that address is.

cbender said:
I'm originally from Lincoln, so can help with the directional issues (although I've never taken the train out of Lincoln, so don't know anything about station operations).
The station is just off of downtown in the haymarket district. Are you familiar with that area? If you know where the main post office building is, then the station is just down the street. You can't miss it. I think there is a big metal mural of a steam locomotive on the station exterior wall, and there are usually several freight cars parked there on siding. For historical reasons, the station building is large. However, as far as I know, the Zepher is the only train that still stops there.
Ohhh..yeah I know where the post office is. I am going there next week to mail some packages so I will walk over to the Amtrak train.

Aloha

Last September i rode the Zephyr eastbound :D here is a picture in the Linclon Station
9582435-M.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

Eric

Wow, I'd forgotten about the engine sitting there! You can see the mural in the left background part of the picture. From this perspective, the post office is behind and to the left.

Back