First train trip...getting nervous

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OKay, so I lied. Sorry, I said I had one more question but I thought of something else. I did some reading elsewhere and was informed that the trains can sometimes be late, very late, as in several hours late. We are meeting family when we arrive in Chicago at Union Station. I'm pretty sure no one here has a crystal ball and can predict exactly when our train will arrive, however baring any unforseen circumstances and based on previous history, does the SWC arrive in Chicago pretty much on time? Or is it more common for it to run late?
Here is Amtrak's route performance for the train. In the last twelve months, it was on-time 88% of the time.

Amtrak Route info

Sometimes things happen that make the train late- but those are normally out of Amtrak's control. But yes, it may be that the train is very, very late- but don't count on it.

About the wipes - never flush them down the toilet. It could clog up the works for the entire coach.
Good to know. I wouldn't, but I'll make sure my kids know not to as well. I am thinking of getting some of the wipes that are sold in the home health care aisles of the drugstores. I am used to showering daily so going without one is going to be rough, but these will hopefully help us all feel a bit more fresh.
Due to a medical issue, I couldn't bathe or shower for a while - ugh.

I tried some of those health care shower wipes and I thought they were awful.

Even the unscented ones smelled gross and made me feel gross and not fresh at all.... on top of that, I thought they cost too much.

Just buy a big container/package of baby wipes - they also come in unscented.

If you're kids are older, they might not like the idea of using anything *baby* though.

Seriously, if they can clean a baby's booty, they'll work on regular old daily grime.

Baby Wipes at Walmart

Wet Ones would also work, they come in quite a few varieties.

Wet Ones at Walmart

I use Walmart's brand - Equate - of facial cleansing towelettes.

They smell nice, are invigorating, and feel fresh.

2pk of 60ea./$6 and are easy to pack too.

Equate brand Facial Towelettes at Walmart

Also, Suave has a dry shampoo that is great for a quick hair fluff and freshening.

Inexpensive with a nice citrus fragrance.

I've seen it at Walmart, usually sold out too, but can't find it on their site.

Target carries it and I'll bet that Walgreens and CVS do too.

Suave Dry Shampoo

Here is Amtrak's route performance for the train. In the last twelve months, it was on-time 88% of the time.
In the OP's case this is not an issue, but I just thought I'd point out that only the last stop is counted toward on-time performance in Amtrak's performance numbers. Thus, a given train could be two or even three hours late to 90% of the stops on it's route and still be recorded as "on-time" according to Amtrak's questionable reasoning.

This is my first post on this board, and it's regarding plans for my first train trip ever. My family and I (husband, and four kids, ages 12, 12, 15 and 17) are booked on the Southwest Chief this summer. We are traveling by bus from Las Vegas to Kingman, AZ. From there we will catch the train and take it all the way to Chicago.
If you are traveling with teenagers, something you should make sure they understand is that there will be no WiFi available on the SWC. Amtrak has not yet added WiFi to the LD trains (besides a limited and reportedly poor service in the Pacific Parlor cars on the Coast Starlight). If you or they want internet access, you will have to use and pay for your own 3G/4G connection to cell phone systems.

If you or someone in your family have a smartphone with GPS or a portable car GPS system, that is a useful item to bring to monitor where you are. There are GPS and map apps available for iPhones, iPads (3G/4G), and Android phones that are handy for monitoring speed and location. If you or someone in the family uses one with downloadable maps, be sure to be aware of how much data is getting used so the access charges are not run up (unless it is an unlimited data plan).

In the OP's case this is not an issue, but I just thought I'd point out that only the last stop is counted toward on-time performance in Amtrak's performance numbers. Thus, a given train could be two or even three hours late to 90% of the stops on it's route and still be recorded as "on-time" according to Amtrak's questionable reasoning.
Good to know- I did not know this.

There are two plug in's at each seat so no problem rechargeing things. I went prepaired with a power strip because I had heard the plugs may be recessed and hard to plug some things in....On the CZ I found that not to be true, never took the power strip out of my bag.
That's a sleeper problem, the recessed plugs, not a coach problem. Still having a surge protector can be useful if your seat mate wants to plug in something and you want to both charge your cell phone and use your laptop for example at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amtrak Route info
Thanks for the link. Good to know that it's mostly on time.

Due to a medical issue, I couldn't bathe or shower for a while - ugh.

I tried some of those health care shower wipes and I thought they were awful.

Even the unscented ones smelled gross and made me feel gross and not fresh at all.... on top of that, I thought they cost too much.

Just buy a big container/package of baby wipes - they also come in unscented.

If you're kids are older, they might not like the idea of using anything *baby* though.

Seriously, if they can clean a baby's booty, they'll work on regular old daily grime.

Baby Wipes at Walmart
Those home health care wipes are pretty expensive. I just thought they'd work better. Glad to know that regular old baby wipes work just as well if not better. And I'll have to check out the Suave dry shampoo. That sounds like it would come in handy. I hate that greasy hair feeling.

If you are traveling with teenagers, something you should make sure they understand is that there will be no WiFi available on the SWC. Amtrak has not yet added WiFi to the LD trains (besides a limited and reportedly poor service in the Pacific Parlor cars on the Coast Starlight). If you or they want internet access, you will have to use and pay for your own 3G/4G connection to cell phone systems.

If you or someone in your family have a smartphone with GPS or a portable car GPS system, that is a useful item to bring to monitor where you are. There are GPS and map apps available for iPhones, iPads (3G/4G), and Android phones that are handy for monitoring speed and location. If you or someone in the family uses one with downloadable maps, be sure to be aware of how much data is getting used so the access charges are not run up (unless it is an unlimited data plan).
Thanks. I'll make sure they know. And look into the GPS map apps. It would be nice to follow along with where we are.

There is water on the train you can drink. I've drink it many times in the past, and had no issues with it.
I thought I had seen a water fountain of sorts in one of the many photos I've looked at but I wasn't sure. It's nice to have that option if we need it.

I just wanted to share an experience I just had with Amtrak. Per a suggestion on this thread, I called Amtrak Customer Service to request if my family and I could be seated near each other. I was on hold for a few minutes, nothing unusual. When a lady came on the line to speak with me, I was honestly expecting the same hurried, borderline rude service you get when you call most places these days. At best lately when I call someplace with a request or question, I get polite tolerance.

Well, I really wish I'd asked this lady's name because she was the nicest, sweetest person I've spoken to in a long while. She was on the phone with me for almost 19 minutes!! After I made my initial seating request, which she said she'd make a note of on the reservation, she proceeded to ask if I was familiar with this policy or that policy, and went on to explain everything to me. (a lot of it I knew from reading here and on the Amtrak website, but it was nice of her to do that)

Then she went above and beyond once she found out I was a new Amtrak customer, and proceeded to tell me about her own experiences traveling by train with her son. She offered up personal advice/tips, shared more about what I could expect and encounter along the way. You could tell she loved train travel. She was talking about how neat it was to see parts of the U.S that you read about in History class. Her enthusiasm was very evident.

Anyway, I don't know if this is appropriate to post here. It's a comment, not a question, but I just had to share with anyone reading. It really gave me a good feeling which is rare to get from any customer service or business these days. And, it made me even more excited for our first Amtrak adventure!! :)

Anyway, I don't know if this is appropriate to post here. It's a comment, not a question, but I just had to share with anyone reading. It really gave me a good feeling which is rare to get from any customer service or business these days. And, it made me even more excited for our first Amtrak adventure!! :)
It's perfectly fine to post what you did here. We like to hear when someone at Amtrak does a good job too!

I just wanted to share an experience I just had with Amtrak. Per a suggestion on this thread, I called Amtrak Customer Service to request if my family and I could be seated near each other. I was on hold for a few minutes, nothing unusual. When a lady came on the line to speak with me, I was honestly expecting the same hurried, borderline rude service you get when you call most places these days. At best lately when I call someplace with a request or question, I get polite tolerance.

Well, I really wish I'd asked this lady's name because she was the nicest, sweetest person I've spoken to in a long while. She was on the phone with me for almost 19 minutes!! After I made my initial seating request, which she said she'd make a note of on the reservation, she proceeded to ask if I was familiar with this policy or that policy, and went on to explain everything to me. (a lot of it I knew from reading here and on the Amtrak website, but it was nice of her to do that)

Then she went above and beyond once she found out I was a new Amtrak customer, and proceeded to tell me about her own experiences traveling by train with her son. She offered up personal advice/tips, shared more about what I could expect and encounter along the way. You could tell she loved train travel. She was talking about how neat it was to see parts of the U.S that you read about in History class. Her enthusiasm was very evident.

I have always found the late-evening agents to be wonderful.

Email Amtrak. Tell them the date and approximate time you called and what wonderful service you had. Details about how long she talked are not necessary. A note of thanks and a recommendation her supervisor be told of her help is sufficient.

MamaU4 said:
1339087211[/url]' post='372234']I just wanted to share an experience I just had with Amtrak. Per a suggestion on this thread, I called Amtrak Customer Service to request if my family and I could be seated near each other. I was on hold for a few minutes, nothing unusual. When a lady came on the line to speak with me, I was honestly expecting the same hurried, borderline rude service you get when you call most places these days. At best lately when I call someplace with a request or question, I get polite tolerance.

Awesome!I'm so glad you had a nice experience with CS.I've had some great experiences too.I'm looking forward to your trip report.I hope you and your family will love the train as much as I and most everyone here does.

Glad to hear this..

I think being nice to someone up front, they will be nice with you the rest of the way. I work retail, and love when people are nice up front w/ me, and I go along and out of my way helping them.

I have had great servie w/ the Amtrak phone rep the times I've called them.

You can see pictures from my most recent SWC trip here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100233031200704.2419429.30311596&type=3

They're out of order, so you start halfway through the trip and then back at the beginning, but it gives you a good idea of how large the coach seats are, how to sleep in them, sights, and so on. Feel free to skip over the Christmas pictures. My boyfriend's family lives in ABQ, so those are in between all the train pictures. :)

This is from August 2010:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.730675453674.2286242.30311596&type=3

Not as many train shots, but lots of scenery.

You can see pictures from my most recent SWC trip here:

https://www.facebook...30311596&type=3

They're out of order, so you start halfway through the trip and then back at the beginning, but it gives you a good idea of how large the coach seats are, how to sleep in them, sights, and so on. Feel free to skip over the Christmas pictures. My boyfriend's family lives in ABQ, so those are in between all the train pictures. :)

This is from August 2010:

https://www.facebook...30311596&type=3

Not as many train shots, but lots of scenery.
Thanks for posting the links to your photos! I was eager to see them, but unfortunately when I clicked on the link this is the message the was displayed: "The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page."

Maybe I'll try again later to see if it's just an issue with Facebook at the moment, or if they in fact cannot be viewed. Hopefully I'll get the chance to check them out. :)

But, I'm also getting nervous. I've read stories of how awful and dirty the coach bathrooms can be, stories of unruly and intoxicated passengers, rude staff, etc. and I hope I'm not making a mistake taking my kids on this journey.
As a statistician in a former incarnation, I cringe when I hear statements like this.

Tell you what I'll do. If it will help you get over your nervousness, I'll sell you awful and dirty bathroom insurance. For a $1 premium, I'll sell you a $100 policy that pays off if your coach's bathroom is worse than mine at home. Same for drunk and disorderly insurance.

But more than that, I would hate to see the kids miss out on the educational and maturing experience. A dirty bathroom or even a drunk won't injure them permanently. I once put my 14 year old daughter on the dirty dog in Salina, KS heading for Denver. She lived through it; but the best thing about it was it disabused her of the idea that everyone in the world is upper middle class.

But, I'm also getting nervous. I've read stories of how awful and dirty the coach bathrooms can be, stories of unruly and intoxicated passengers, rude staff, etc. and I hope I'm not making a mistake taking my kids on this journey.
As a statistician in a former incarnation, I cringe when I hear statements like this.

Tell you what I'll do. If it will help you get over your nervousness, I'll sell you awful and dirty bathroom insurance. For a $1 premium, I'll sell you a $100 policy that pays off if your coach's bathroom is worse than mine at home. Same for drunk and disorderly insurance.

But more than that, I would hate to see the kids miss out on the educational and maturing experience. A dirty bathroom or even a drunk won't injure them permanently. I once put my 14 year old daughter on the dirty dog in Salina, KS heading for Denver. She lived through it; but the best thing about it was it disabused her of the idea that everyone in the world is upper middle class.
*LIKE*

I'm also taking the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Los Angeles in the middle if July 2012. There's a ton of helpful info on this site. I have a question about the seating in coach. I know about lower level seating with the common luggage storage and bag storage over-head and under or near your seat. What about upper-level seating and bag storage? Is there over-head storage up there also? And under or near your seat?

I'm also taking the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Los Angeles in the middle if July 2012. There's a ton of helpful info on this site. I have a question about the seating in coach. I know about lower level seating with the common luggage storage and bag storage over-head and under or near your seat. What about upper-level seating and bag storage? Is there over-head storage up there also? And under or near your seat?
There is an overhead luggage rack above the seats. They are not bins like airlines, but open racks with dividers in them to keep things from sliding too far. You can use the downstairs common rack if you want as well. It isn't customary to store things under the seat, besides, the footrests kind of get in the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like also

*LIKE*

So glad you had a good experience. I'm a newbie here, about to take my first semi-LD ride (San Diego to Sacramento and back), and every time I hear something good, my whole body relaxes. I'm glad you're looking forward to your trip, and I look forward to your report...

Also - I'm assuming that since the SWC going west originates in Chicago, the cars are empty and the coach seats are unoccupied. Is that right? How does the conductor or assistants assign cars and seats - on the platform or after the passengers enter the cars? Is it a random decision? By the way, how many coach cars are there on the SWC?

Also - I'm assuming that since the SWC going west originates in Chicago, the cars are empty and the coach seats are unoccupied. Is that right? How does the conductor or assistants assign cars and seats - on the platform or after the passengers enter the cars? Is it a random decision? By the way, how many coach cars are there on the SWC?
Yes, they're empty. Usually coach attendants or even conductor may assign passengers to specific cars, based on their destinations. It is usually done at the platform at Chicago. Some originated stations may assigned when check in at the ticket booth (or even seat claim desk) and some at platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back