First train trip...getting nervous

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But, I'm also getting nervous. I've read stories of how awful and dirty the coach bathrooms can be, stories of unruly and intoxicated passengers, rude staff, etc. and I hope I'm not making a mistake taking my kids on this journey.
As a statistician in a former incarnation, I cringe when I hear statements like this.

Tell you what I'll do. If it will help you get over your nervousness, I'll sell you awful and dirty bathroom insurance. For a $1 premium, I'll sell you a $100 policy that pays off if your coach's bathroom is worse than mine at home. Same for drunk and disorderly insurance.

But more than that, I would hate to see the kids miss out on the educational and maturing experience. A dirty bathroom or even a drunk won't injure them permanently. I once put my 14 year old daughter on the dirty dog in Salina, KS heading for Denver. She lived through it; but the best thing about it was it disabused her of the idea that everyone in the world is upper middle class.
Thank you for your thoughts. We are moving ahead with plans for our trip. The train tickets arrived last week in the mail, and we have about 4 and a half weeks to go. I've made notes of all the excellent suggestions and information received on these forums, and we are all very excited.

For the record, I know a dirty bathroom or drunk won't scar them for life. In fact, we live in Las Vegas, and while our neighborhood is very nice, we spend a lot of time down on the Strip where we see more than our fair share of drunks, rude people, homeless people, dirty walkways, dirty bathrooms, etc. among many other unmentionables! I'm sure everyone will be fine.

I suppose it's just the unknown that was causing my nervousness. Thanks again! :)

Please please don't bring raw oysters on the train for snacks. The juice of them gets really stinky real soon. Eat them before you get on the train.

I love em - but don't want to share the stinking juice with people that have to ride for an other thousand miles.

Hello to anyone still reading this! I am down to 20 days until our big train trip. And, of course, I am thinking of new questions that I hope someone will be kind enough to answer. :)

First question. We board the train in Kingman, AZ after taking a bus to from Las Vegas. It will be around 1:30 in the morning, and I am just wondering how difficult will it be to board? Meaning, I don't want to wake up everyone around me! Are the lights turned off since it's bedtime? Will we be able to see where to sit (there are six of us, 4 kids, and I hope for seats next to each other) and where to put our suitcases? Or will we be fumbling around in the dark? Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but having never been on a train, I am unfamiliar with the seating, where bathrooms are, where luggage goes, etc.

Second question. When is breakfast served, and since we are coach passengers, do we wait our turn after those with rooms?

Third question. If I can't sleep, as I often can't even at home, are we allowed to wander around the train at night. Specifically, is the observation car open all hours? Rather than moving restlessly in my seat and bothering my husband or kids, I thought maybe I could go sit elsewhere and read or something.

Fourth question. Is hot water provided on the train, in case we bring our own tea or cocoa? If so, do they charge for that?

Fifth question. Is the train air conditioned?

Sixth question. There is no checked baggage on this trip. I know there are storage bins overhead, and those require a carry on sized luggage. I'm assuming similar to airline regulations, maybe a bit larger. But, these common luggage areas that I am reading about, do those areas also require that luggage be on the smaller side? Or can you store larger suitcases there? I don't have many small suitcases so I was just wondering if I needed to go buy some, or if my larger ones would be ok if stored in the common area.

Um, I think that's it for now. I know I am probably way over planning/thinking this whole trip! But, I so desperately want everything to go smoothly. I hate to fly, so to me train travel is the answer. But, if my family has a miserable time, they'll never want to do this again! lol Thanks for putting up with all my pesky questions. I appreciate all the help!

Hello to anyone still reading this! I am down to 20 days until our big train trip. And, of course, I am thinking of new questions that I hope someone will be kind enough to answer. :)

First question. We board the train in Kingman, AZ after taking a bus to from Las Vegas. It will be around 1:30 in the morning, and I am just wondering how difficult will it be to board? Meaning, I don't want to wake up everyone around me! Are the lights turned off since it's bedtime? Will we be able to see where to sit (there are six of us, 4 kids, and I hope for seats next to each other) and where to put our suitcases? Or will we be fumbling around in the dark? Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but having never been on a train, I am unfamiliar with the seating, where bathrooms are, where luggage goes, etc.

Second question. When is breakfast served, and since we are coach passengers, do we wait our turn after those with rooms?

Third question. If I can't sleep, as I often can't even at home, are we allowed to wander around the train at night. Specifically, is the observation car open all hours? Rather than moving restlessly in my seat and bothering my husband or kids, I thought maybe I could go sit elsewhere and read or something.

Fourth question. Is hot water provided on the train, in case we bring our own tea or cocoa? If so, do they charge for that?

Fifth question. Is the train air conditioned?

Sixth question. There is no checked baggage on this trip. I know there are storage bins overhead, and those require a carry on sized luggage. I'm assuming similar to airline regulations, maybe a bit larger. But, these common luggage areas that I am reading about, do those areas also require that luggage be on the smaller side? Or can you store larger suitcases there? I don't have many small suitcases so I was just wondering if I needed to go buy some, or if my larger ones would be ok if stored in the common area.

Um, I think that's it for now. I know I am probably way over planning/thinking this whole trip! But, I so desperately want everything to go smoothly. I hate to fly, so to me train travel is the answer. But, if my family has a miserable time, they'll never want to do this again! lol Thanks for putting up with all my pesky questions. I appreciate all the help!
First question. There are lights on in the seating area, but they are low at night. You won't be fumbling around in the dark. The vestibule where you board and downstairs luggage area will be fully lit. You can put your suitcases in the downstairs rack if you don't want to be fiddling with them in the seating area. Most car attendants have areas they have reserved for families and groups, so you will likely be able to sit together, although you may be broken up a bit (4 + 2) since you have big group.

Second question. Breakfast service in the diner usually starts at 6:30am. They won't announce it since they usually don't do PA announcements before 8am. Breakfast is first come, first served, so just head for the diner. Lunch and dinner is by reservation, and they take sleeper passenger reservations first.

Third question. You are allowed to wander the train. Usually the Sightseer lounge car is open at all hours. I have never, ever seen anyone kicked out (I am a night owl). However, there have been reports of crews that kick people out, although in tens of thousands of miles, I have never seen it.

Fourth question. Hot water is not offered in the cars. You may be able to get hot water from the lounge attendant. It will up to his discretion, though.

Fifth question. Yes. Sometimes enthusiastically so. Dress in layers. Windows are sealed, BTW.

Sixth question. Amtrak allows carry-ons considerably larger than airplanes. The overhead racks are not closed bins, but open racks. You can get quite a bit up there. I almost never check bags and my full size roller suitcase fits nicely in the downstairs rack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Second question. Breakfast service in the diner usually starts at 6:30am. They won't announce it since they usually don't do PA announcements before 8am. Breakfast is first come, first served, so just head for the diner. Lunch and dinner is by reservation, and they take sleeper passenger reservations first.
Time zones can be tricky on meal service. Last week when we were on #4, breakfast was served on Pacific time. Of course, as far as I could tell, Arizona's time right now is the same as Pacific time.

Time zones can be tricky on meal service. Last week when we were on #4, breakfast was served on Pacific time. Of course, as far as I could tell, Arizona's time right now is the same as Pacific time.
They usually serve on the local time zone. And, yes Arizona is on Mountain Standard year round, which is the same as Pacific Daylight Savings, so Arizona and California are on the same time now.

Hey there MamaU4. I think that a lot of your questions have been answered, and answered extremely well. I would like to offer a little bit from my experience that may hopefully help you on your journey. The main idea that I would like to convey is that no matter how well you plan, anything can go wrong. Though this is certainly true in ANY mode of transit, Amtrak seems to get it's disproportionate share of problems. All I can say is to be prepared. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. I'm not a pessimist by any means, but if you're aware of potential problems, you can be a bit more prepared should they happen. First, don't plan on anything that costs a lot of money that is scheduled to start the same day of your arrival. We get a lot of disgruntled folks here who miss a theater show or something similar that was scheduled 3 hours or so after their intended arrival time. Count on delays. With regards to the politeness of your onboard services, be prepared for anything. You can have a good crew, you can have a lousy crew. Whatever you do, don't get in an argument with a lousy crew member. They can kick you and your family off the train for the slightest infraction. Best to collect names, perhaps record any incident and report at the end of your trip. Finally, if there is a MAJOR delay, don't panic. They know you're out there, and they will come get you. You will likely get NO information from the crew. If you have cell phone coverage, a smartphone could provide better information than the crew.

I'm not saying these to freak you out by any means. Just some remote possibilities that if you're aware of them, it could prepare you to stay calm if something should happen. I've seen folks get REAL bent out of shape when the train was running a whopping 30 minutes late, cursing and stomping and making other's ride very unpleasant.

Finally, be sure to post your experience here!

And, ENJOY YOUR RIDE!

There really isn't much to add to what's already been mentioned. Keep an open mind and be patient. It's a great way for a family to take a trip. It's a socialble atmosphere where many a new friendship was born. You more than likely will share a table with strangers when dining, but you will not be strangers when the meal is over.

Also, the SWC route through Raton Pass is an endagered species, as talks continue on rerouting through Amarillo. You might want to download the SWC route guide to your smartphone/laptop if you haven't already.

My link There should be paper copies on board the train, but don't bet on it.

Have a great trip!

Sixth question. Amtrak allows carry-ons considerably larger than airplanes. The overhead racks are not closed bins, but open racks. You can get quite a bit up there. I almost never check bags and my full size roller suitcase fits nicely in the downstairs rack.
It has been a few years since I have been on one of the Amtrak long distance trains, however, we are fairly reqular users of the Amtrak California trains between Emeryville and Fresno. The basic baggage rule seems to be, if you are able to get it into the train you can take it, and sometimes that appears to mean even if it takes two people to move it. There is no little rack out there that you have to make your stuff fit into before you can take it on. Remember, there are a lot of stops out there that do not have any form of baggage service other than lug it inot the train yourself.

It has been a few years since I have been on one of the Amtrak long distance trains, however, we are fairly reqular users of the Amtrak California trains between Emeryville and Fresno. The basic baggage rule seems to be, if you are able to get it into the train you can take it, and sometimes that appears to mean even if it takes two people to move it. There is no little rack out there that you have to make your stuff fit into before you can take it on. Remember, there are a lot of stops out there that do not have any form of baggage service other than lug it inot the train yourself.
All true, and Superliners have more baggage space than the California Cars or Surfliner cars (basically Cal Cars with a different paint scheme).

Rule of thumb: If you can carry it all without assistance, you can have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thank you so much rusty spike, George Harris, printman 2000, and especially zephyr17 for the wonderful and speedy replies! I am so grateful for this forum. It's helped so much with those random questions I just can't find answers to through online searches. And hopefully any one else new to train travel who reads this will benefit from all my questions as well. lol

I thought of a follow up question to the observation car hours. During the day, especially if the train is full, is there a limit to how long you can stay up there? Meaning, will attendants ask you to leave if you've been there awhile, or is it more a question of simply being courteous and not hogging a seat the whole day?

VentureForth, thanks for the information. I have definitely taken delays into consideration and we don't have anything pressing planned for our arrival day, just in case. I tend to think the same way you do. Not that I'm a pessimist either, but I would rather be over prepared and pleasantly surprised.

I thought of a follow up question to the observation car hours. During the day, especially if the train is full, is there a limit to how long you can stay up there? Meaning, will attendants ask you to leave if you've been there awhile, or is it more a question of simply being courteous and not hogging a seat the whole day?
No limits are imposed; it's simply a question of common courtesy (which, sadly, is becoming all too uncommon).

No limits are imposed; it's simply a question of common courtesy (which, sadly, is becoming all too uncommon).
Okay, that's sort of what I thought. Just wanted to make sure. And, you are right, unfortunately common courtesy can sometimes be hard to find these days!

The only time I've ever seen a conductor make any kind of request to SSL passengers, and this only once, on a trip from Spokane to Portland, was to make everyone in the SSL wake up promptly at 6:AM, so as to get them off the floor and keep them from sprawling over two (or more)seats.

I've been in the observation car aka SSL aka Sightseer Lounge on every one of my LD trips.

I usually camp out there as soon as I'm awake and I've never seen it so full that you couldn't get a seat, I've seen it fairly empty at times too.

The one and only time I ever saw it full was when we picked up a horde of RR workers, I think it was somewhere in Iowa, on the eastbound Zephyr and they all got off at their home base in Galesburg.

The conductor made an announcement that every available seat on the train, not just the SSL, would be needed - it was pretty wild.

It's been my experience that most people stay in their rooms or seats.

After 6 months of planning and waiting, we leave in less than a week! Finally!

Thanks to this board I feel very well prepared as well as excited. But, we are starting to pack now and I had another packing question. Actually, it's more of a what to wear question. Since we are going to be sitting in coach for over 35 hours, what would be the most comfortable and yet appropriate thing to wear? I'm assuming it's all very casual. Do people wear sweatpants for comfort? Or jeans? Is there a place to change into sweats for night, and jeans or shorts during the day?? Or is that just too much hassle?

Also, I was planning to have everyone wear sandals or flip flops as I figured they'd be easiest to remove for sleeping at night, but then I read on another thread here that walking between the train cars can be risky in anything other than sneakers. Is this true? Having never been on a train, I have no idea what it's like walking around on the train.

Thanks for any "what not to wear" tips!

Thanks to this board I feel very well prepared as well as excited. But, we are starting to pack now and I had another packing question. Actually, it's more of a what to wear question. Since we are going to be sitting in coach for over 35 hours, what would be the most comfortable and yet appropriate thing to wear? I'm assuming it's all very casual. Do people wear sweatpants for comfort? Or jeans? Is there a place to change into sweats for night, and jeans or shorts during the day?? Or is that just too much hassle?

Also, I was planning to have everyone wear sandals or flip flops as I figured they'd be easiest to remove for sleeping at night, but then I read on another thread here that walking between the train cars can be risky in anything other than sneakers. Is this true? Having never been on a train, I have no idea what it's like walking around on the train.

Most wear very casual clothing, sweatpants, shorts, jeans, etc. Nothing fancy, which suits me just fine. I don't do fancy. :cool: As for changing, one can always change in the restroom, though it is a bit of a tight squeeze. I've done it, though, and I am a, shall we say kindly, a plus size. :lol: And for the issue with sandals, flip-flops, etc, there could be a potential for injury while walking between cars, which is why announcements are made to remind passengers to wear shoes at all times. I wear sneakers exclusively, but that's me.

Have fun! :)

Sweats are common, and you can change in the restroom. Ladies have a larger changing room in the Superliner coaches, too.

Don't recommend flip flops as one of the reasons for shoes is the motion of the plates between the cars. You want something that a) wouldn't flop around and get stuck b)would protect your feet somewhat. The other reason is for the diner, the usual "no shirt, no shoes, no service"

I'll second or third the suggestion about sneakers -

Anytime you or your kids are going from one car to another or up and down the stairs, sneakers are a much safer option than flip flops or other open-toed shows.

By the same token, when moving about the train, it's always wise to have a hand free to hold on to a seat back or handrail..... always expect unexpected bumps.

FWIW - my wife and daughter were on the Southwest Chief from Albuquerque to Chicago two weeks ago and had a fantastic trip. I hope your is as good.

Not easy to walk around. You've got to keep your balance even in places without handles, like narrow sleeper aisles, and if you walk too slow it'll just make it worse. Sandals are thus a very dangerous option.

Walk quickly but don't run. It's hard at first but you'll get used to it. Just wear sneakers. When passing between cars, the doors may close without warning, don't be surprised. ou have to pass throguh quickly or the door will close on you. Thankfully there are handles at the doors.

Remember, this is some heavy-duty stuff, so don't wear light-duty stuff! :)

Sandals are thus a very dangerous option.
When I heard "Sandals" I thought giant chunky sandals with textured rubber soles and heavy straps, like Birkenstocks, which would be OK.

Flip-flops are not suitable at all, very dangerous.

Remember, this is some heavy-duty stuff, so don't wear light-duty stuff! :)
Exactly.

Thanks again for all the informative replies. I think we'll stick with sneakers just to be safe, and probably some comfy jeans or sweatpants for traveling.

I appreciate all the advice I've received from everyone on here. We leave this week, so hopefully this will be the last post you see from me until I come back to report what a great time we had. (fingers crossed!!)

See ya!

Sandals are thus very dangerous.
When I heard "Sandals" I thought giant chunky sandals with textured rubber soles and heavy straps, like Birkenstocks, which would be OK.

Flip-flops are not suitable at all, very dangerous.
Well, IMO, sandals are still open-toed and not the best footwear when moving in narrow, unstable aisles, simply because one's toes are very easily injured.

Thanks again for all the informative replies. I think we'll stick with sneakers just to be safe, and probably some comfy jeans or sweatpants for traveling.

I appreciate all the advice I've received from everyone on here. We leave this week, so hopefully this will be the last post you see from me until I come back to report what a great time we had. (fingers crossed!!)

See ya!
Looking forward to your trip report - and glad you found these forums helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back