First train trip...getting nervous

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, I do not know what "flats" are, and I was unable to find any information on them except that they have flat soles, but why did you call them flats seperatly from sneakers when most sneakers are also flat-soled? Am I missing something?

Yes. But that's OK, you're a guy. Flats have flat soles. Sneakers also have flat soles, but they are not flats. Trust me on this one! :rolleyes:
Yyou seem to know about flats, so can you please tell me what they are and why they are called flats when other shoes also have flat soles?
It is a ladies fashion thing. Basically, pumps without the heel. Unless you are into Ladies fashion, they are just ladies shoes to you.
What are "pumps"?

Some examples of flats:

treasure_hunt_flats.jpg

You can also get them in more casual styles, like plaid or plain white canvas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, I do not know what "flats" are, and I was unable to find any information on them except that they have flat soles, but why did you call them flats seperatly from sneakers when most sneakers are also flat-soled? Am I missing something?

Yes. But that's OK, you're a guy. Flats have flat soles. Sneakers also have flat soles, but they are not flats. Trust me on this one! :rolleyes:
Yyou seem to know about flats, so can you please tell me what they are and why they are called flats when other shoes also have flat soles?
It is a ladies fashion thing. Basically, pumps without the heel. Unless you are into Ladies fashion, they are just ladies shoes to you.
Aloha

Reading these has been so much fun. Maybe because I am in theater I knew what "Flats" are, Women's shoe with no high heel. But maybe because I have a daughter helped. :giggle:

How come so many women's shoes don't look anything like the shape of an actual human foot? Seems like a fundamental design flaw of some sort. Probably created by a man if I had to guess. ;)

What are "pumps"?
Think shoes a stripper would wear. (J/k ladies!)

How come so many women's shoes don't look anything like the shape of an actual human foot? Seems like a fundamental design flaw of some sort. Probably created by a man if I had to guess. ;)
Because they have to look "cute" dontchyaknow.

Women's shoes were the bane of my existance when I worked in running specialty. We'd go through the process and put people in great fitting shoes and then they'd suff their feet bank into those things. Ugh....

The thread has taken some fun twists and turns, hope the OP comes back and gives ua a trip report.

yes, along with pantyhose!

Hello everyone. :)

This is my first post on this board, and it's regarding plans for my first train trip ever. My family and I (husband, and four kids, ages 12, 12, 15 and 17) are booked on the Southwest Chief this summer. We are traveling by bus from Las Vegas to Kingman, AZ. From there we will catch the train and take it all the way to Chicago.

We are booked in coach. Unfortunately, there is no way I can afford sleeping rooms for all 6 of us, so we really didn't have a choice.

I have done days (weeks?) worth of research, reading all sorts of train forums, watching youtube videos, etc. trying to learn all I can about train travel. I have found a lot of great tips and was very excited to undertake this adventure with my family.

But, I'm also getting nervous. I've read stories of how awful and dirty the coach bathrooms can be, stories of unruly and intoxicated passengers, rude staff, etc. and I hope I'm not making a mistake taking my kids on this journey.

I also have a couple questions. First, is motion sickness on trains a problem, or common?

Second, it says there is no checked baggage on this trip. Each one of us will have a suitcase. Is there a luggage storage area? I tried to look that up, but was unclear on that.

Third, on the return trip, the train arrives in Kingman at 11:39 p.m. and the bus for Vegas leaves at 11:50 p.m. If the train is late, does that mean we can end up stuck at the station??

Finally, (at least for now, lol) I read that food is allowed to be carried on, but what's the easiest way to do that? Do people really bring coolers and such on board? Space in coach seems limited, so I'm confused on how people bring on their own food/snacks.

Sorry if these questions seem silly or naive. I've tried to do as much research on my own as I could, including on these forums. But, I'd love to hear from a few of you who can hopefully help alleviate some of my concerns. I was so excited for this adventure, and I really don't want to fly. I'm just getting nervous of the unknown, I guess. :(

Thanks in advance for any help, tips, or advice! I appreciate it.
1. I never get motion sickness on a train, but my uncle does! It most likely varies.

2. Yup, there is checked baggage on the southwest chief. There is also luggage storage on the lower level of your car.

3. Odds are against you for the train being on time.. :help: ... Even on a good day, the train can be 20 minutes late, missing your connection. Look on grey hound bus lines or whatever ASAP, and try and find another one. If I were you, I would give 1-2 hours leeway.

3. Odds are against you for the train being on time.. :help: ... Even on a good day, the train can be 20 minutes late, missing your connection. Look on grey hound bus lines or whatever ASAP, and try and find another one. If I were you, I would give 1-2 hours leeway.
That connection in Kingman to Las Vegas from the Southwest Chief is a dedicated Thruway bus (actually a van) connection, and will wait for the train. As to your suggestion to find another connection, Kingman is not exactly a transportation hub, how many buses do you think there are from there in the middle of the night? Clearly best to stick with the published, dedicated Amtrak connection.

Also Kingman does not handle checked baggage, so the OP can't check baggage. Her reservation says "no checked baggage" because both her origin and destination stations must have checked baggage in order to have checked baggage service, and they don't.

Check the facts, Jack. Don't give false information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back