Flooding on route to New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got to New Orleans and was bussed from Hammond La....... About a hour bus trip but very comfortable busses and gave out snacks and water and very fast trip to Amtrak station.. No problem because we saw the part of the bridge they are repairing and they definately made the right decision. They told us probably about a week before it will go all the way through. Good luck to all the others behind us but not bad at all......

From CN Status page --

On Sunday, May 22nd, a railway bridge located on the McComb subdivision of the CN main line was shut down due to damage caused by unusually high water levels. According to current estimates, repairs will be completed as of midnight CDT on Wednesday, May 25th.
I'm wondering, how do they service the train at Hammond?
During Katrina and the aftermath, Amtrak vanned coach sweepers and mechanical forces to Hammond and back to NOL at the end of the day. I would hope the same is true now.

Im due to leave Chicago on the 25th at 8pm, we are not scheduled to hit the Mississippi area until Thursday afternoon. Grandpa D, are you saying that there is a chance I wont have to depart the train to be bussed? I hope that there is a chance of this occurring.
I would say that your chances of being on a bus south of Hammond would be near 100%. Look at the pictures on the various news reports. At least one timber bent is gone completely and the water is still high and fast making work difficult. There is also the serious question of what other damage has the bridge received. If I was bridge engineer responsible for this structure, I would be saying no trains until the whole thing has been throughly checked out. There may be other timber bents partly undermined or weakened by debris.

I would not sweat the bus, however. It will be a dedicated bus or buses with a run time not that much slower than the train schedule, as it is Interstate highway all the way, and not in rush hours on either end of the schedule.

Im due to leave Chicago on the 25th at 8pm, we are not scheduled to hit the Mississippi area until Thursday afternoon. Grandpa D, are you saying that there is a chance I wont have to depart the train to be bussed? I hope that there is a chance of this occurring.
I would say that your chances of being on a bus south of Hammond would be near 100%. Look at the pictures on the various news reports. At least one timber bent is gone completely and the water is still high and fast making work difficult. There is also the serious question of what other damage has the bridge received. If I was bridge engineer responsible for this structure, I would be saying no trains until the whole thing has been throughly checked out. There may be other timber bents partly undermined or weakened by debris.

I would not sweat the bus, however. It will be a dedicated bus or buses with a run time not that much slower than the train schedule, as it is Interstate highway all the way, and not in rush hours on either end of the schedule.
UPDATE: Canadian National indicates repairs to the bridge have been delayed by fast moving current. It will be this Friday at the earliest before the track reopens. :eek:hboy: I do agree with George Harris, I would go ahead and take the bustitution.

UPDATE: Canadian National indicates repairs to the bridge have been delayed by fast moving current. It will be this Friday at the earliest before the track reopens. :eek:hboy: I do agree with George Harris, I would go ahead and take the bustitution.
Maybe somebody had not looked at the pictures of the situation before they made the first pronouncement of the out of service time? I would think to say even this Friday is hugely optomistic. I would be saying not less than 3 days to a week AFTER the water goes down and the current slows down sufficiently so that a good inspection can be made and a pile could be positioned without being shifted by the current before the driving could get started. If much damage is found on the rest of the bridge, the time could be much longer.

I got the call from Amtrack informing me that I would be riding the bus over the spillway. Headed to New Orleans from Memphis on the 28th. I'm not sweating the bus ride. Looking forward to the trip. Thanks everyone for all the great info in this thread. I've been keeping a close watch.

I got the call from Amtrack informing me that I would be riding the bus over the spillway. Headed to New Orleans from Memphis on the 28th. I'm not sweating the bus ride. Looking forward to the trip. Thanks everyone for all the great info in this thread. I've been keeping a close watch.
If you have any problems in Hammond the agent, Craig Carter, will bend over backwards to help you.OOpps, the 28th is his off day. Kelley is the swing person and she is just as nice. Good trip ahead !!!

:giggle:ROLLIN' DOWN TO THE SEA:

According to Canadian National's website, repairs on the bridge south of Hammond were completed at 3 p.m. Friday. From what I can tell, the CONO is now operating normally.

Im currently on the CONO. We are just leaving Hammond. Our train left NOL on time and we traveled very slowly over the spillway and the repairs. No other problems. On the way down to NOL from CHI, our air-comditioning was not working properly but now it is nice and frosty in our bedroom.

Happy Travels!

Im currently on the CONO. We are just leaving Hammond. Our train left NOL on time and we traveled very slowly over the spillway and the repairs. No other problems. On the way down to NOL from CHI, our air-comditioning was not working properly but now it is nice and frosty in our bedroom.

Happy Travels!
:DAlways good to have a trip report from the train! Have a good one!

Actually you could have cancelled without a fee, you just would not have gotten a refund to your credit card. You would have needed to take a voucher good towards a future trip. This is an option that you'd never get with most airlines, unless you booked the least restrictive/expensive fare.

That might be okay for most people, Alan, but it would have done me absolutely no good at all. I live on a VA disability of less than $1,000 per month, which doesn't allow me to go much of anywhere. The friend I was going to visit in New Orleans paid for my entire trip. So if Amtrak had given me a voucher, it would have just gone to waste, and either I would not have been able to go visit my friend at all, or my friend would have had to pay for airline tickets in addition to the (wasted) rail fare.

As I've said, I do understand that Amtrak doesn't control mother nature, and they also can't control the railroads that own the tracks they operate on. But given the extent of the flooding, this train was not fully operational from April 26th until May 21st. If the tracks flooded enough to shut down service by April 26, it does seem a bit unreasonable to me that they didn't know the train wouldn't be running on May 10th until just days prior to that. This was obviously not a "day by day" thing. It was much more major than that, and shame on Amtrak for not keeping either their customer service people or ticketed passengers current.

And AirTran does give refunds in the event of a flight cancellation. You have your choice between being booked on the next available flight, or a refund. Not just a voucher.

Refund Policy

Passengers entitled to refunds for flight cancellations or other reasons may apply for a refund through any AirTran Airways representative at any AirTran Airways gate, ticket counter, Reservations or Customer Relations office.

Actually you could have cancelled without a fee, you just would not have gotten a refund to your credit card. You would have needed to take a voucher good towards a future trip. This is an option that you'd never get with most airlines, unless you booked the least restrictive/expensive fare.
That might be okay for most people, Alan, but it would have done me absolutely no good at all. I live on a VA disability of less than $1,000 per month, which doesn't allow me to go much of anywhere. The friend I was going to visit in New Orleans paid for my entire trip. So if Amtrak had given me a voucher, it would have just gone to waste, and either I would not have been able to go visit my friend at all, or my friend would have had to pay for airline tickets in addition to the (wasted) rail fare.
And I do appreciate that Jaylah; as well as the fact that not knowing placed a greater financial burden on your friend and caused you considerable fret & worry. I'm not trying to make light of the situation, just to explain things. And the fact remains that Amtrak's refund policies are far more liberal than most airlines' policies are. If one is paying top dollar for one's airline tickets, then policies are more liberal. But if you've booked anything less than the most expensive seats, you're going to find major restrictions on what you can and can't do, as well as what you get back if you cancel.

As I've said, I do understand that Amtrak doesn't control mother nature, and they also can't control the railroads that own the tracks they operate on. But given the extent of the flooding, this train was not fully operational from April 26th until May 21st. If the tracks flooded enough to shut down service by April 26, it does seem a bit unreasonable to me that they didn't know the train wouldn't be running on May 10th until just days prior to that. This was obviously not a "day by day" thing. It was much more major than that, and shame on Amtrak for not keeping either their customer service people or ticketed passengers current.
Once again, Amtrak is totally dependant on the host RR's for information. They control when the trains run. And they control the flow of information, assuming that there is any, to Amtrak. If the freight RR says to Amtrak, "we hope to be back in service on Tuesday" Amtrak isn't going to cancel any trains past Tuesday. In most cases however the freight RR's simply say, "we expect our line to be out of service until X." So Amtrak cancels everything through X. Two days before X the freight RR comes along and says, "now we expect it to be Y." So Amtrak responds by canceling all trains through Y. And on and on until such time as the line is reopened.

Amtrak was basically in the dark as much as you were. They aren't on the scene, they can't walk down the tracks to see if the freight company is lying or telling the truth about where the water level is. They have to rely on the host RR and the host RR's simply aren't that good about communicating. Probably in part because if they tell Amtrak what they really expect, then people shipping things will find out and cancel the shipments on them.

Finally, as I mentioned earlier, I do still agree that having nothing on their website is dead wrong! I can understand not canceling trains 2 weeks out, but I cannot understand or condone the utter lack of info on their website, as well as the often conflicting information given out by agents when one calls up. That is inexcusable!

And AirTran does give refunds in the event of a flight cancellation. You have your choice between being booked on the next available flight, or a refund. Not just a voucher.
Refund Policy

Passengers entitled to refunds for flight cancellations or other reasons may apply for a refund through any AirTran Airways representative at any AirTran Airways gate, ticket counter, Reservations or Customer Relations office.
And so does Amtrak. Once Amtrak officially cancelled the train you were entitled to a 100% refund. Your issue came about because you wanted to cancel before Amtrak officially cancelled the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back