Flooding on route to New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LINE REOPENED FOR FREIGHT?

I have heard a rumor that the Canadian National's line through Cairo, IL has been reopened for freight traffic. If I hear anything more I will post it. :blink:

LINE REOPENED FOR FREIGHT?

I have heard a rumor that the Canadian National's line through Cairo, IL has been reopened for freight traffic. If I hear anything more I will post it. :blink:
Thank you!

My trip isn't until June 9th.....I am watching this thread every day and hoping that CONO gets back on track soon!

A look at some info from teh Gulf States Maritime Association Gives the following:

River stages at various dates.

Location..Thebes........Memphis.....Vicksburg

May 18.....52.0..........46.0.........57.3

May 25.....46.9..........37.5.........56.9

June 1.....36.1..........29.5.........54.0

Looking at this you can see the lowering of the river progressing downstream. It also tells you that the flooding has peaked. Thebes is just a few miles north of Cairo IL, so the dropping ther is a pretty good indication of what the river is doing at Cairo.

The table showed information for both Baton Rouge and New Orleans, but had the same number for all dates. I have no idea why as this does not seem reasonable.

Note on river stages: Zero is not dry. Zero is average low water. It is quite common to get minus numbers for the water elevation in dry summers.

The table showed information for both Baton Rouge and New Orleans, but had the same number for all dates. I have no idea why as this does not seem reasonable.
The Corps of Engineers is operating the Morganza and Bonnet Carre spillways to keep water levels at Baton Rouge and New Orleans at a specified maximum level. The river will remain at this level as long as the spillways are open (but the COE will open and close spillway gates as the crest passes).

The Corps of Engineers is operating the Morganza and Bonnet Carre spillways to keep water levels at Baton Rouge and New Orleans at a specified maximum level. The river will remain at this level as long as the spillways are open (but the COE will open and close spillway gates as the crest passes).
The spillways were built and are operated to reduce the spillway peaks, but I find it difficult to believe that the river is so tamed by these structures that it results in no peak or valley in river elevation at all.

The spillways were built and are operated to reduce the spillway peaks, but I find it difficult to believe that the river is so tamed by these structures that it results in no peak or valley in river elevation at all.
Just a wild guess George but the Corps is opening various numbers of gates as the river crests. Perhaps 20th century ingenuity was better than we thought. I remember in '73 running across the Morganza spillway on a train (the T&P owned the trackage but the L&A leased it for their main line). When the catfish came through the slats they were dazed and confused. People parked pick up trucks next to the water line and gaffed catfish day and night. Then they would race to Baton Rouge to sell their catch and return to start over again. It all ended when one greedy fellow got too close and his truck went floating into the Spillway towards Morgan City. I'm sure security today wouldn't allow such a thing to take place.

Just checked the Amtrak site and they will allow you to buy a ticket from NOLA to Carbondale, IL for TOMORROW, the 21st!!! Do you think they are really running through again???

RIDIN' ON THE CITY OF NEW ORLEANS: The rumor I heard about the line reopening for freight must have been true! I called AMTK reservations just now and they verified that the CONO's whole route is being reinstated into service effective with departures tomorrow (Saturday, May 21).

Good luck to everyone and happy travels!

:rolleyes:

Wow! $226 Family Bedroom on 5/22!!!! I can't wait to tell my wife we snagged (amsnag), the absolute lowest bucket!!! We are departing on a trip, the trip of a lifetime!!!

(please ignore the previous post where I snagged the family bedroom for 5/14, which was cancelled POST#68 - That was a joke, This time its the truth.)

LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the official service announcement from Amtrak's website:

logo_popup.gif

Chicago-Memphis-New Orleans Service Resumes

Amtrak City of New Orleans Train Restored to Full Route, Effective May 21

Service by the Amtrak City of New Orleans train is resuming over its full route, effective on May 21 with the origins of the northbound Train 58 from New Orleans and the southbound Train 59 from Chicago. Since April 26, Trains 58 & 59 had been truncated at Memphis due to flood conditions north of Memphis on the route owned by CN railway.

Amtrak provided refunds to passengers who were affected by the disruption to the through trains and to those ticketed to the missed stops of Fulton, Ky., and Newbern-Dyersburg, Tenn. Amtrak service between Chicago and Carbondale, Ill., has been maintained by Trains 390-393, the Illini and Saluki.

Also restored effective on May 21 is Amtrak Thruway Motorcoach Routes 8358 & 8359, connecting City of New Orleans trains at Carbondale to other Amtrak services at St. Louis.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.

PROBLEM AT MCCOMB: I just heard there is a bridge out near McComb, Ms. A spot check of AMTK reservations shows availability tomorrow as far south as Jackson, MS but not in or out of New Orleans. :huh:

Bonnet Carre Spillway: another report indicates this area just north of New Orleans is a problem and that 58 and 59 are being turned at Hammond, LA. Anybody else out there have any info? :blink:

Bonnet Carre Spillway: another report indicates this area just north of New Orleans is a problem and that 58 and 59 are being turned at Hammond, LA. Anybody else out there have any info? :blink:
A quick search found an item with picture. I searched bonnet carre spillway railroad flood and the second item up on www.fox8live had a picture. Shows a couple of timber trestle spans washed out off the end of a through steel plate girder span.

Thanks, I followed up on your lead and a news article says repairs should be done in about 48 hours; in the meantime Amtrak is busing passengers between New Orleans and Hammond, and is still operating the train from Hammond north. :rolleyes:

Saw this too on a local rail group. Yikes!

No. 58 was the train that reported it. Crew said it felt like they were going down.
And about 58/59.

As far as I know, 58 was the last train through and 59 was at Natalbany last I heard. 59 was allowed to work at Hammond but was backed up to Natalbany.
Natalbany is 3 miles north of Hammond's depot, so I guess they parked it up in the siding between the two cities.

Amtrak confirmed that they are bussing people from Hammond to New Orleans. They said it was 53 miles away, so I am assuming about a 2 hour ride.

Has anyone ever been bussed by Amtrak?

I could have gone Greyhound for much cheaper:(

I have been bussed by Amtrak; they use charter buses, so it is not a hassle like trying to catch a dog (Greyhound). You will be riding with other AMTK passengers, and they are trying to take care of everybody and give them as long a train ride as they can.

Amtrak confirmed that they are bussing people from Hammond to New Orleans. They said it was 53 miles away, so I am assuming about a 2 hour ride.

Has anyone ever been bussed by Amtrak?

I could have gone Greyhound for much cheaper:(
It's about 58 miles from station to station and about an hours drive because its practically all interstate between the two.

I've had to make a few drives to Ponchatoula (just south of Hammond) for work and there was barely ever any traffic on I-55.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info.

NOLA-can you keep me informed if you hear of any improvements/repairs to that washout?

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

NOLA-can you keep me informed if you hear of any improvements/repairs to that washout?

Thanks
The bridge in question is totally a wooden timber bridge. It has been there as long, or longer, than the Spillway. Creosoted timbers last a long time but when thousands of gallons of water per hour pass by the base of these timbers I'm surprised that the entire structure has not fallen into the water.

From CN Status page --

On Sunday, May 22nd, a railway bridge located on the McComb subdivision of the CN main line was shut down due to damage caused by unusually high water levels. According to current estimates, repairs will be completed as of midnight CDT on Wednesday, May 25th.
I'm wondering, how do they service the train at Hammond?

From CN Status page --

On Sunday, May 22nd, a railway bridge located on the McComb subdivision of the CN main line was shut down due to damage caused by unusually high water levels. According to current estimates, repairs will be completed as of midnight CDT on Wednesday, May 25th.
I'm wondering, how do they service the train at Hammond?
Im due to leave Chicago on the 25th at 8pm, we are not scheduled to hit the Mississippi area until Thursday afternoon. Grandpa D, are you saying that there is a chance I wont have to depart the train to be bussed? I hope that there is a chance of this occurring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back