Food and Eating

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eating peanut butter products in coach could endanger the lives of those who are allergic to it. A track should ban those products
I believe you mean "Amtrak should ban them", but people can bring food in the train with them, so should each bag be checked?
huh.gif
Amtrak also bans smoking on board, and people bring cigs with them - and how many times do you read about somebody being kicked off for smoking aboard?
huh.gif

Believe me, I do feel sorry about people with peanut allergies, but how about people who bring spicy foods, tuna fish, etc... aboard, and smell up the car for hours or days?
huh.gif
Why not ban all food being carried aboard?
huh.gif
The world is full of sharp corners. If we get to a point where someone is going to search my bag for a weaponized peanut butter sandwich, we are WAY beyond somewhere I'd want to live. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
The world is full of sharp corners.
Battlestar Galactica showed us what a world without sharp corners would be like. Everything, including their paper, had chamfered corners. :lol:
No only the official paperwork had round corners. There was some paper with 90 degree cuts. Also the round paper was due to the network request to cut back on the cost of the show. So they "cut the corners"

I don't know which makes me feel worse, the fact that there is a small but very real minority of people that can die because of exposure to everyday foods, or that a small but very real minority of people want the vast majority of the population to have their behavior dictated by our government to protect the former small minority at the behest of the latter small minority.

But the one thing I wish Amtrak would do is to mimic the vast majority in this case, the vast majority of train cars in Europe and Asia have a hot water tap, which is great for tea or ramen. Now that would make coach much more pleasant, to be able to brew a cuppa, then heat by favorite ramen and slurp noodles and tea as the Rockies roll by!

Eating peanut butter products in coach could endanger the lives of those who are allergic to it. A track should ban those products

Forgive me for my ignorance but dont you only get a allergy reaction if you eat the peanuts?
I found this on Google:

"Peanut reactions can be very severe, even if a person isn't exposed to much peanut protein. Experts think this might be because the immune system recognizes peanut proteins more easily than other food proteins. Although a small amount of peanut protein can set off a severe reaction, it is rare that people get an allergic reaction just from breathing in small particles of nuts or peanuts. Most foods with peanuts in them don't allow enough of the protein to escape into the air to cause a reaction. And just the smell of foods containing peanuts won't produce a reaction because the scent does not contain the protein.

In the few cases when people do react to airborne particles, it's usually in an enclosed area (like a restaurant or bar) where lots of peanuts are being cracked from their shells"

My linkhttp://kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitness/nutrition/nut_allergy.html

OR....people with severe peanut allergies could just avoid public transportation. Agoraphobes do it.

To restrict the diets of EVERYONE because of the extreme allergies of less than 1/100th of 1 percent of the total population (the overwhelming majority of kids with peanut allergies outgrow them) is patently absurd. Also, there are medications that people with allergies can take (prescription antihistamines, for example) to mitigate the symptoms. How is it that the rights of those with allergies not to live in a plastic bubble mean that everyone else should have to live in one?

OR....people with severe peanut allergies could just avoid public transportation. Agoraphobes do it.

To restrict the diets of EVERYONE because of the extreme allergies of less than 1/100th of 1 percent of the total population (the overwhelming majority of kids with peanut allergies outgrow them) is patently absurd. Also, there are medications that people with allergies can take (prescription antihistamines, for example) to mitigate the symptoms. How is it that the rights of those with allergies not to live in a plastic bubble mean that everyone else should have to live in one?
I do not agree with that statement at all!
mad.gif

I do not smoke, and can't stand the smell of tobacco smoke, but a small percentage of Amtrak riders smoke. So should Amtrak allow smoking aboard trains?
huh.gif
That would please the smokers!
rolleyes.gif

We bring Trail Mix. Usually eat breakfast in the diner- which is so filling (eggs and potatoes etc.) that it lasts all day. Enjoy meeting train folks in the diner rather than eating in coach.

I do not agree with that statement at all!
mad.gif

I do not smoke, and can't stand the smell of tobacco smoke, but a small percentage of Amtrak riders smoke. So should Amtrak allow smoking aboard trains?
huh.gif
That would please the smokers!
rolleyes.gif
Completely different situation. EVERYONE is harmed by breathing cigarette smoke, and it is in no way contained. Only a very, very small percentage of the population is affected by the mere presence of peanut products, and only those who eat it are normally likely to be affected by in either negatively or positively. To institute blanket bans like that would advance us toward the day when no one is allowed to leave their home because someone else may be affected by their food, clothing, smell, shampoo, etc.

EVERYONE is harmed by breathing cigarette smoke, and it is in no way contained.
I had a brother die of lung cancer with multiple tumors, and he never smoked.

He was married for 50 years to a chain smoker.

on my train trip from Seattle to Milwaukee in December I plan on bringing Coke Zero, pretzels, some spagetti and meatballs (in case the train breaks down) candy bars and cereal... I would like to be safe than sorry when it comes to food:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back