For those in roomettes: have dinner in your room or with others

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thought, who boxes up the to go meals? The cook, servers, or SCA? I can not remember because I haven't really paid attention, but does the to go food come up the dumb waiter or up the stairs? Just trying to find something in the process that requires the SCA.

Another thought, who boxes up the to go meals? The cook, servers, or SCA? I can not remember because I haven't really paid attention, but does the to go food come up the dumb waiter or up the stairs? Just trying to find something in the process that requires the SCA.
What about trains that have no dumb waiters or stairs? ;) The Diner Staff packs the bags and puts them out for the SCA to pick up on the single level trains. I don;t know what happens in Superliners since I seldom ride them.

Once, I remember, a fella in the roomette across from me took off for the DC to get his dinner because he didn't want to tip the SCA! Later, he returned empty handed! They told him to get his SCA to get it, they were too busy & crowded! Makes sense to me!!!

Once, I remember, a fella in the roomette across from me took off for the DC to get his dinner because he didn't want to tip the SCA! Later, he returned empty handed! They told him to get his SCA to get it, they were too busy & crowded! Makes sense to me!!!
He does not *have* to tip the SCA just because he got dinner ;)

OTOH, I tip the SCA even if they do nothing other than just be pleasant and smile and say hello. Sometimes even they are surprised. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
On my recent trip to Los Angeles on the SW Chief, I had all meals delivered to me in my roomette by the SCA. I gave her a $2 tip each time. In LA, I gave her an additional $20 for her excellent service as an SCA. Her name was Cynthia and she was exceptional!

On the return trip to New Orleans via Sunset Ltd, I had all meals in the Dining Car. and always left a minimum $2 tip for the server. I was fortunate to have another very exceptional SCA named Jay. I tipped him $20 at the end of the trip.

Take as early a seating as you can, to avoid their running out of your favorite. I note that the crews ALWAYS have available to them the steak or other more desirable entrees, though.
Interesting. I had not noticed that previously but I'll keep an eye out next time.

They shouldn't act that way, but they want to get the car cleaned and prepped for the following morning. Some attendants are on board for up to 6 days at a time, working up to 18 hours a day. I see where they're coming from, but they should still be more polite about it. Anyway, you could also head to the dining car and order a meal to go, if you would prefer to have it in your room, but don't want to bother your attendant.
At first I wondered who you were claiming was working eighteen hours a day six days in a row. Then I remembered you previously made a similar claim about yourself. Except that so far as I could tell you weren't ordered or even begged to do so. Instead you chose to do it yourself. In fact you seemed to treat it as some sort of game. If you're snapping at customers from eighteen hours of fatigue, which you willingly brought upon yourself, then whose fault is it really? As for sleeper customers asking dining staff to prepare their meals to go, in my experience the dining staff will decline. They will instead tell you to go ask your SCA to get it. Precisely why they refuse I cannot say. Perhaps it is some sort of union issue involving division of labor.
Why are you dragging what I've worked in to it? The only one treating something as a game I see is yourself... The lounge car (as you know) is open from 6am-12am, and the LSA has three breaks. So if the Cafe is open for 18 hours, aside from breaks, they're actually awake for closer to 20 hours, because they do need time to you know, shower and relax before bed, and get dressed and get the car set up in the morning. And that is how the job is, but you already know that.

If you are...mistaken and thought I said 18 hours per day for 6 days straight, I suggest you re-read what said, and take notes where I said up to 18 hours per day.

Two can play your game Chris. ;)

I believe that the SCA writes and drops the meal tickets, and then bags the food to go. I think I've seen the SCA go down the stairs in Superliners, but most certainly bag up the meal at the serving station - including grabbing the cans of soda and the desert.

I always go to the diner for all of the reasons already stated. However, on my last trip on the CZ I did have most meals in my room. The SCA was right there for every meal asking if I was ready to order, and the two times I had breakfast in the diner, he came looking for me. I thought that was kind of comical. But the times he brought the meals, there were always extras. Two glasses of iced tea, two cups of coffee, more of this or that.

The lounge car (as you know) is open from 6am-12am, and the LSA has three breaks. So if the Cafe is open for 18 hours, aside from breaks, they're actually awake for closer to 20 hours, because they do need time to you know, shower and relax before bed, and get dressed and get the car set up in the morning. And that is how the job is, but you already know that.
Are you stating that Amtrak's standard employee scheduling system assigns one single person to run the snack bar as part of a massive eighteen hour shift (excepting meals and bathroom breaks) from 6AM to 12AM for several days in a row?

The lounge car (as you know) is open from 6am-12am, and the LSA has three breaks. So if the Cafe is open for 18 hours, aside from breaks, they're actually awake for closer to 20 hours, because they do need time to you know, shower and relax before bed, and get dressed and get the car set up in the morning. And that is how the job is, but you already know that.
Are you stating that Amtrak's standard employee scheduling system assigns one single person to run the snack bar as part of a massive eighteen hour shift (excepting meals and bathroom breaks) from 6AM to 12AM for several days in a row?
That is what I understand, DA

Yes. With few exceptions if you go out as the LSA/Lounge or LSA/Diner, or any other job position, that is yours and yours alone for the duration of the entire trip. The only notable exception is the Auto Train, where they work something different in each direction.

I'd be uncomfortable sitting directly across and/or right next to complete strangers. If I was in a group that could fill the table it would be different. I'm pretty sure the only meal I ever ate in the diner car was breakfast and the car isn't anywhere near full that time of day.

I'm not even comfortable with sitting next to a complete stranger in coach. I'm OK with the SSL since you are right in front of the window though although I'd certainly like some elbow room too if I could. If it weren't for the SSL I'd go completely nuts.

On the trains I have traveled recently, I know that the Cafe opens at approximately 6:00 - 6:30AM with the same person who closes the cafe at night. They do take about an hour break for meals during the slower times. The Dining Car staff is the same from start to end. Now the 421/422 Sleeper does change SCA in San Antonio. Way back, Amtrak experimented with a crew change in Pittsburgh for the "Three Rivers" that ran CHI - NYP.

On the trains I have traveled recently, I know that the Cafe opens at approximately 6:00 - 6:30AM with the same person who closes the cafe at night. They do take about an hour break for meals during the slower times. The Dining Car staff is the same from start to end. Now the 421/422 Sleeper does change SCA in San Antonio. Way back, Amtrak experimented with a crew change in Pittsburgh for the "Three Rivers" that ran CHI - NYP.
Did the Broadway also change crews in Pittsburgh?

Other than the Texas Eagle (which in my mind is two separate trains anyway), are there other trains that have a crew change in the middle? Some obvious breakpoints: the CZ at DEN, the Crescent at ATL, the LSL at BUF, and the EB at Rugby, North Dakota.

I ate breakfasts and dinners in the dining car, and had lunches brought to my room. I didn't plan it that way, it's just what I felt like going at the time.

I've had mixed experiences in the dining car. I would say I've had 75% bad/awkward experiences and 25% good. The best was when I traveled on the Coast Starlight. The PPC attendant didn't force people to sit with others (perhaps because there weren't very many of us).

Overall, I detest the communal seating, but it's not to a point where I feel like asking my car attendant to serve me in my room. I know it's part of their duties, but I feel strange requesting the service when I'm perfectly capable of walking to the dining car. Plus, it's nice to get out of my room for a bit. Even if the small talk (or lack thereof) is bothersome or awkward, I still enjoy having a meal in the dining car. I feel like it's part of the train experience.

Breakfast is almost always enjoyable because people are generally sleepy and more interested in enjoying their coffee in peace. So even if the table is completely quiet, it doesn't feel strange to me because I feel like it's a "polite" quiet. When people do speak, it's usually in hushed tones. For that reason, plus the food, breakfast is my favorite meal on Amtrak.

Other than the Texas Eagle (which in my mind is two separate trains anyway), are there other trains that have a crew change in the middle? Some obvious breakpoints: the CZ at DEN, the Crescent at ATL, the LSL at BUF, and the EB at Rugby, North Dakota.
Not that I'm aware of at this time.

There are some Regionals. Whoever works 161 on Sunday takes over 85 in BAL from a NY attendant on Monday. 137's LSA on Monday-Thursday takes over 85 the following day, Fridays they take over 71 on Saturday. Saturday's 135 takes over 145 on Sunday. Also, 135 on Sunday takes over 174 in WAS.

These are the only ones I know of that are done enroute. There could be some in the west coast.

I'd be uncomfortable sitting directly across and/or right next to complete strangers. If I was in a group that could fill the table it would be different. I'm pretty sure the only meal I ever ate in the diner car was breakfast and the car isn't anywhere near full that time of day.

I'm not even comfortable with sitting next to a complete stranger in coach. I'm OK with the SSL since you are right in front of the window though although I'd certainly like some elbow room too if I could. If it weren't for the SSL I'd go completely nuts.
I bet you hope they never bring back meals to airline coach!

I bet you hope they never bring back meals to airline coach!
I don't fly often, maybe once a year now, but I'm kinda glad they don't have meals in coach. I can remember not enjoying smelling the food in "cabin air".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back