Freedom Card, Anyone?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, I have a few significant Amazon purchases lined up for it as soon as it arrives. Funny thing is, I have already registered it for the 5x as soon as it showed up on my Chase page, but I have not seen the card, nor its full particulars other than the last four digits yet!
I have used my old (Chase AGR) card number at Amazon since October 1: it worked, and it received the 5x points.

Question for experienced Freedom Card folks. I can see my activity and an Amazon purchase shows the 5% bonus. But I also made a purchase online with Lowe's. Lowe's is one of the merchants who has a 3% bonus for online purchases but my activity statement only notes the usual 1%. I purchased this direct from the Lowe's website. To get the 3% did I have to click on Lowes on the Chase site, rather like buying through an AGR vendor? If so, wonder if I can fix it as it was a goodly amount of money.

I received my Freedom card late last week.

And while I was at it, I received two, one of which had already been canceled due to a mixup at Chase, where for some reason they thought they had mailed it in August and I had not received it. Turns out they managed to mail both to me on the same day suggesting that their processes are almost as goofy as BoA's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found the answer while at Chase for another issue. Yes, you must enter the vendor website via your Chase account rewards link to get the additional points. There are 253 vendors including Sears, Best Buy, Etc. Also had them call and arrange to send my card now instead of "by 11/7". Got the account number so I can notify automatic payers excepts for the ones who need the three digit number on the back. Have to wait for the card itself to do that.

Meanwhile asked B of A for more than the $5000 line of credit they were so kind to provide. Made a charge to enable the bonus points and may not use the card much thereafter.

Well, yesterday, I checked my Chase accounts at Chase.Com and I saw that my AGR card had been switched to a Chase Freedom card, even though I had not received the actual card yet. Some of my Amtrak purchases on the old AGR MasterCard had been migrated over to the new account.

Nope. Nice of Chase to take their sweet time sending it, when we're the ones being inconvenienced by loss of a card due to their failure to come to terms with Amtrak.

I'm still pretty disappointed by the whole situation--I don't like BOA, and losing the Amtrak account makes it unlikely that I'll be doing much future business with Chase, either.

Just yesterday, I got a mailer with blank checks from Chase for my AGR credit card number although they have already transferred all my data from the AGR card to the new Freedom CC which I have already closed and verified as closed on line. My suspicion is that I will never see the 198 AGR points posted for the $99 charges posted to my Chase AGR card account last half of September after my September statement. Oh, well!

Nope. Nice of Chase to take their sweet time sending it, when we're the ones being inconvenienced by loss of a card due to their failure to come to terms with Amtrak.

I'm still pretty disappointed by the whole situation--I don't like BOA, and losing the Amtrak account makes it unlikely that I'll be doing much future business with Chase, either.
It is not Chase that could not come to terms with Amtrak. It is Amtrak that started a new RFP process. So blaming Chase for it is pretty weird at best.

Just yesterday, I got a mailer with blank checks from Chase for my AGR credit card number although they have already transferred all my data from the AGR card to the new Freedom CC which I have already closed and verified as closed on line.
I got the envlope of AGR Chase checks as well. My online stuff has already been switched to Freedom but no cards yet. Cannot even download my transactions cause I don;t have the card number.

It is not Chase that could not come to terms with Amtrak. It is Amtrak that started a new RFP process. So blaming Chase for it is pretty weird at best.
I sent a message to AGRInsider asking if it was Amtrak or Chase who ended the relationship because if it was Chase I was going to complain to them. Got no response. Guess because it was not a Chase decision like you said.

Well, yesterday, I checked my Chase accounts at Chase.Com and I saw that my AGR card had been switched to a Chase Freedom card, even though I had not received the actual card yet. Some of my Amtrak purchases on the old AGR MasterCard had been migrated over to the new account.
Ditto.

Right now, it seems that old Chase AGR purchases that are migrated over to the new Freedom account, are being given Freedom Ultimate reward points, instead of AGR reward points, even if the purchase was before the 9/30/2015 deadline. In other words, if the purchase appears on a Chase AGR statement, you get AGR points; if the purchase appears on a Chase Freedom statement, you get Freedom points; regardless of what card you actually used, and the date the purchase was actually made. :angry2:

I have escalated this at Chase. The CS rep that is attempting to help me, has bumped this up the ladder to someone in their rewards dept. I'm now waiting to see the outcome. :rolleyes:

"It is not Chase that could not come to terms with Amtrak. It is Amtrak that started a new RFP process. So blaming Chase for it is pretty weird at best."--jis

Any particular reason for the snark, or are you just a huge fan of Chase Bank? Just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
"It is not Chase that could not come to terms with Amtrak. It is Amtrak that started a new RFP process. So blaming Chase for it is pretty weird at best."--jis

Any particular reason for the snark, or are you just a huge fan of Chase Bank? Just curious.
It is not a snark. It is a statement of a fact. I have nothing for or against Chase or Amtrak. Business deals like this happen all the time.

I fail to see the issue, the card in my wallet works as a Freedom card today, it just looks like an AGR card.
The issue is that the cc numbers have changed (at least for me--maybe other people's experience is different). My AGR credit card is no longer valid.

Mine still works just fine with the old number, I've been putting all of my Amazon spend on it without issues.

The online account shows the new last 4, which I presume will become active when I get the new card and activate it.

Mine still works just fine with the old number, I've been putting all of my Amazon spend on it without issues.

The online account shows the new last 4, which I presume will become active when I get the new card and activate it.
Interesting. I don't know why mine is no longer valid, but at least it explains the delay in getting the new card (i.e., if most people are able to use the old card until receipt of the new one). Thanks for the info.

It's fine since the old AGR Card will continue to work as its proxy until you get the new card. If for some reason the old card stops working then getting in touch with Chase and complaining will cause them to even overnight the new card to you.

Back