from NY Times: Cordially or Not Cordially?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem would not be with the usage, but with someone REACHING ACROSS me (I presume that is what happened) without asking, and then letting the cords drape all over me.

If someone said, "I really need to plug my laptop in, sorry..." I would offer to take the plug and plug it in myself, so I could arrange the cord in a less-annoying way.

My big problem with electronic use in public is the people who want to play shoot-em-up movies at full volume with no headphones. No idea if people get away with that on the trains or not, but....I've been in other public places that seemed louder than they need to be. (I've also been in the grocery check-out line behind someone who apparently needed to share the gory details of a botched surgery over their cell phone, with someone on the other end who was apparently hard of hearing).

It bothers me that increasingly people seem to think they exist in a bubble that doesn't affect other people, and they can behave in public just as they would sitting on their couch at home.

First one to the outlet owns it for the trip. Plemty are available in the lounge for the latecomers. its the same as an airport boarding area. First ones who find the outlets scattered about own them until their flight boards.
And if they aren't using both outlets, I have every right to ask if I can run a power cord to the available one, just as I would offer one of the outlets to someone if they joined me at a later stop.

I will never apologize for being courteous.

Last edited by a moderator:
First one to the outlet owns it for the trip. Plemty are available in the lounge for the latecomers. its the same as an airport boarding area. First ones who find the outlets scattered about own them until their flight boards.
And if they aren't using both outlets, I have every right to ask if I can run a power cord to the available one, just as I would offer one of the outlets to someone if they joined me at a later stop.

well you raise a good point. Since there are two seats and two plugs, isn't the intent one for each person, assuming that each person has use for one of the sockets. If I sat down and found that the person already had two devices plugged in, I don't think I would be impolite to ask for one. And if the person gave me attitude, I would simply find the conductor and solve the problem that way. If the person then sat there and glared the rest of the way, so be it. Having a temper tantrum, noisily or silent, would cause that person far more angst and energy than I would be needing. ^_^

In this context, would watching a movie or listening to music be considered relaxing? Or would they be disqualified because they use the dreaded "electronic device" and need to be attached to power outlets from time to time, that some seem to be allergic to?
While I myself tend to not use devices too much while traveling, except when I want to shut the rest of the world out using a noise canceling headphone to help in getting some Zzzzzs. And I almost never work while traveling, even though I have more of a 24/7 job than most others given that my team is distributed across US east and west coast, Shanghai, Bangalore, Tel Aviv, Boeblingen and Copenhagen - perish the thought ... How would I then be able to enjoy the sounds of the K5LA in the distance, or the clickety clack where present, the whine of the tilt system on an Acela, or for that matter a mighty GE90 or a Rolls-Royce RB211 winding up, or the hydraulics and motors deploying the flaps and slats?

But that is me. Frankly i don't understand the antipathy some people have about others using electronic devices when and where they want to. Why is that any concern of someone else is beyond me. Everyone should be allowed to indulge freely in their own activities that keeps them entertained without being judged for doing so IMHO as long as they are not overly getting in the way of others. Live and let live.
With some exceptions, like sit down restaurants, any church activity, etc.

That is correct attitude for both sides of this discussion.

The outlet belongs to both folks in the seat pair - aisle and window. However, the aisle person should ask the window person to plug in the device and to place the cord where it is comfortable for them.
It is absurd to say "put away the electronics" for two hours. Many ppl need to work on the train on the NEC.
If I were traveling a train known to have only one outlet at each pair of seats, I would carry a multigang plug to attach so that both parties would have at least one plug-in available.

But that may be just me. Just like all of the years that I have travelled in coach on the CZ and brought along not only a busbar with 5 or 6 outlets, but also a low-profile extension cord that could fit between the wall and the seat side, for those trips when the one wall plug in that half of the coach was partially hidden behind the seat. Plus an extra extension cord or two so I could share the electricity with passengers in the seats immediately in front of and behind my own.

I don't care how people spend their time in public places, as long as it doesn't impinge on me. Tap away at your electronic device all you want. It's when you use your outdoor voice on your phone that I'm annoyed. Unless you're entertaining, of course. Last month I got to hear a guy in Bedroom C crash and burn in a relationship across much of Montana, leading up to, "I'll cut you off! I'll cut you off completely! No rent! No insurance! No..." Sadly, the next word wasn't "cellphone." The idiots yammering in the NEC trains are never that amusing.
I love phone conversations like that. By all means, please proceed.... :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back