GBB to BNL - Is the "Bus" Actually a Van?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Everydaymatters

Engineer
From Galesburg, IL to Bloomington/Normal, IL, I'm planning to take the Amtrak bus when departing from the California Zephyr. However, if the bus is actually a van, I'll probably go to Chicago and take the Lincoln Service train back to Bloomington.

How can I find out if the bus is actually a van?

I've not gone from GBB to BNL, but from GBB to SPI. That was an 8 or 9 passenger full size van. About like one you'd have for your own family. Very comfortable ride. Sometimes the van is full - sometimes not. It cuts about 2 hours off my trip.

I echo what BeckysBarn said. GBB to SPI in a large passenger van.

Thanks for your replies. Maybe I'll take my chances on it not being full. I have time to decide. The van from Kingman to Las Vegas was very crowded and uncomfortable, but hopefully this will be a better experience.

Here in Oregon we have an Amtrak minibus (10 passenger) that starts from the Redmond Airport and makes stops in Bend, Sunriver and La Pine and takes the riders to meet the Coast Starlight in Chemult. If they have 9 or more passengers, they send a second minibus. They know when the train is going to be late and how many passengers will be getting off the train to go north on US 97. You do have to carry your skis and other gear and load it on the minibus if you are going to Bend and Mt. Bachelor.

I am trusting that Amtrak will provide a large enough bus or buses to meet demand on any route requiring bus transport.

I was once on a California Amtrak bus (54 passenger) I was on with one other passenger. The bus driver had to stop and ask directions to the Barstow station. We did get there in time for the SW Chief after we missed it at San Bernardino.

As mentioned, Galesburg - Springfield is a van, but I believe Galesburg - Normal is part of a regular Burlington Trailways bus route, meaning some sort of regular intercity bus is used.

As mentioned, Galesburg - Springfield is a van, but I believe Galesburg - Normal is part of a regular Burlington Trailways bus route, meaning some sort of regular intercity bus is used.
Good info, Ive taken both these Routes, and for what it's worth, the Bus to BNL/Indy is a Dedicated Bus meaning it will wait for the train no matter how late! In August when we were on the Zephyr and hit the Cattle in Nebraska and rolled into GBB 12 Hours Late the Bus was still there waiting on the Train! :cool: Also, sometimes the Van to SPI is only a 10 Seaters and with a Full Load and the Luggage placed in the back of the Van it can be very crowded! Best Place to ride in the Van in these cases is the Front Seat with the Driver or the First Row of Seats behind the Driver! (there are also 15 Passenger Vans and the Drivers are friendly, Retired types that make the Trip through the Corn Fields pleasant!)

Burlington Trailways has great buses and drivers. You should have no problem with them.
I had a really bad experience with one of their bus drivers...swore at some people who were confused about which bus to board (there was a Greyhound following it by less than a half-hour going along the same route.) Definitely turned me off of the company.

Burlington Trailways has great buses and drivers. You should have no problem with them.
I had a really bad experience with one of their bus drivers...swore at some people who were confused about which bus to board (there was a Greyhound following it by less than a half-hour going along the same route.) Definitely turned me off of the company.
Possibly that one driver, but I don't see why somebody who just go around swearing at customers. He was probably angered by pax who repeatedl misunderstood him. Not that he should have been swearing, though.

As others have said - the route including BNL (unless they have changed it VERY recently) is Burlington Trailways. Big tour buses, very rarely filled to capacity.

I did bustitution a couple times out of STL because of the trackwork this past year, they were the big tour bus type things and were just fine. And the drivers were just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back