government shutdown

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak George

Lead Service Attendant
There is a lot of talk in the news about a potential government shut down at the end of September. As I recall, Amtrak has stated in the past that it would keep running in the event of a government shutdown. I hope this is still the case. Anybody have the scoop on this question?

If we could arrange it for the freight railroads to shut down because of PTC issues at the same time the government shuts down, maybe we could all have a nice three-day staycation while Congress preens and postures, then comes to whatever senses it has left.

Amtrak continued to run during the last shutdown, I wouldn't expect this one (if it happens) to be any different.

I really hope that it doesn't, because I kind of like working and getting paid.

There seems to be a cadre of federal workers who will stay on the job out of patriotism even though they aren't getting paid. They did get paid afterward last time when Congress finally smartened up.

It's not out of patriotism, it's out of being declared "essential" and being forced to work.

If you're not declared essential, you're legally prohibited from doing any work if the government is shut down.

Yes, usually back pay happens as a part of the deal that reopens the doors, but that doesn't do much good when there are bills that need to be paid now.

You are technically correct, Ryan, but I know personally of several non-"essential" government employees who worked all through the last shutdown. They knew they were needed.

Either way, most (all?) Amtrak employees are deemed essentials. Including us LSAs. Doesn't matter if there's two feet of snow and there's a state of emergency, we're still going in.

Back in 2013 Amtrak kept running because it's a quasigovernmental agency with (supposedly) for-profit management, and had enough operating funds to last a while. Couldn't make it through a really long shutdown, though.

I think that regardless of the subsidies they receive (and many clearly private companies receive subsidies too) that they're chartered to try and make a profit. They are technically owned by the federal government, but they aren't specifically part of the federal government.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1246041980246

Amtrak is a federally-chartered corporation, with the Federal government as majority stockholder. The Board is appointed by the President of the United States and confirmed by the U.S. Senate, and Amtrak is operated as a for-profit company, rather than a public authority.

There was this thread the last time sequestration was being threatened:

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/54107-amtrak-sequestration/

I was on one of my LD trips during the October 2013 government shutdown. I met an elderly gentleman who had spent a great deal of money on a round-the-country train trip to the many of the national parks. Unfortunately, most of the parks were closed. But at least he got the train ride.

It's amusing to think of all the useless advice our government has given us for dealing with all sorts of potential predicaments. Everything from duck and cover to duct tape and plastic wrap. I wonder what sort of advice these yahoos would have for dealing with a useless zero tolerance no compromise government.

I remember 'Duck and Cover!'............It was always comforting to know that a sweater pulled up over your head as you sat cross legged facing the school hall way wall was a satisfactory alternative to the back yard bomb shelter..............................(Warning...Danger Will Robinson......Sarcasm Alarm at critical mass.)

Amtrak will keep running even in the event of a government shutdown.

Without cash transfers from the treasury, Amtrak will still continue to run for months, with the revenue it generates from ticket sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember 'Duck and Cover!'............It was always comforting to know that a sweater pulled up over your head as you sat cross legged facing the school hall way wall was a satisfactory alternative to the back yard bomb shelter..............................(Warning...Danger Will Robinson......Sarcasm Alarm at critical mass.)
Just remember that advice was good only if you had a tinfoil sweater!

:giggle: :wacko: :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back