Guaranteed Connection

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
I have a booked ticket on the SWC from LAX to CHI and then CHI to IND on the Cardinal.

I booked it online as part of a multi-city trip that includes SBA to LAX first.

It allowed me to book it all without saying anything about it NOT being a guaranteed connection in CHI.

Some friends have decided to go with us and he booked the identical trip over the phone and the agent told him it WASN'T a guaranteed connection in CHI.

So, I called about my reservation and the agent told me it was a guaranteed connection.

What do you think - is it or isn't it?

Is there a way to tell other than calling and asking?

Why would one agent say it isn't and another one say it is?

I don't want to possible spend the night in CHI if the SWC is later than when 50 leaves.

Thanks!!!

I can answer this one for you Mr. FSS. :)

If you go on-line and it allows you to book a certain trip segment together at ONE TIME under the SAME reservation number... then it's automatically a "guaranteed connection".

Let's say I want to go from Los Angeles, CA to Milwaukee, WI (connecting in Chicago obviously).

If I go on-line and book a reservation it will show the 2 trains together in a box (in this case it would be the Southwest Chief and Hiawatha service) -- as long as the 2 trains appear like that and I buy the ticket that way... it is under the same reservation number and a guaranteed connection.

However, if I went on-line and just bought a ticket from LAX-CHI and then a seperate ticket from CHI-MKE... the two tickets wouldn't be under the same reservation number... and that wouldn't be a guaranteed connection.

Under scenario #1, if the SWC was extremetly late into Chicago and I missed the last train out to Milwaukee that night, Amtrak would be required to take care of me (hotel or bus to Milwaukee) since both my LAX-CHI and CHI-MKE tickets are under the same reservation number. Under scenario #2, Amtrak could say "tough luck" your tickets are not under the same reservation and we didn't guarantee your connection... and I would have to find my own way up to Milwaukee... or pay for my own room in Chicago and catch the train the next day.

So basically, if you type in, let's say LAX-NYP and it shows your options and you click on the whole journey and buy it that way... it's a guaranteed connection.

Hope I'm making sense... if not, you know my email.

I can answer this one for you Mr. FSS. :)
If you go on-line and it allows you to book a certain trip segment together at ONE TIME under the SAME reservation number... then it's automatically a "guaranteed connection".

Let's say I want to go from Los Angeles, CA to Milwaukee, WI (connecting in Chicago obviously).

If I go on-line and book a reservation it will show the 2 trains together in a box (in this case it would be the Southwest Chief and Hiawatha service) -- as long as the 2 trains appear like that and I buy the ticket that way... it is under the same reservation number and a guaranteed connection.

However, if I went on-line and just bought a ticket from LAX-CHI and then a seperate ticket from CHI-MKE... the two tickets wouldn't be under the same reservation number... and that wouldn't be a guaranteed connection.

Under scenario #1, if the SWC was extremetly late into Chicago and I missed the last train out to Milwaukee that night, Amtrak would be required to take care of me (hotel or bus to Milwaukee) since both my LAX-CHI and CHI-MKE tickets are under the same reservation number. Under scenario #2, Amtrak could say "tough luck" your tickets are not under the same reservation and we didn't guarantee your connection... and I would have to find my own way up to Milwaukee... or pay for my own room in Chicago and catch the train the next day.

So basically, if you type in, let's say LAX-NYP and it shows your options and you click on the whole journey and buy it that way... it's a guaranteed connection.

Hope I'm making sense... if not, you know my email.
Well - my trip from SBA to LAX, LAX to CHI, and CHI to IND are all under the same Reservation number, so it looks like it is guaranteed. That's what I was looking for.
Thanks, Robert.

Tom

Yep, then it should be guaranteed.

I learned the hard way Tom -- Last October, I did a day-trip here in the Midwest and really got in a tough spot because I didn't know about the "guaranteed reservation" thing.

Here's what happened:

* I went from Milwaukee to Galesburg on the morning single-level trains (connection in Chicago).

* That late AM/early afternoon, I spent a couple of hours out in Galesburg.

* Then, I had a ticket to catch #6 back from Galesburg into Chicago (back when you could buy a ticket on #6 from GBB-CHI) --- then I was planning on catching either the 5:08pm or 8:05pm Hiawatha back to Milwaukee at night.

Well, the service from CHI-MKE is unreserved... meaning you can buy a ticket from CHI-MKE and it's good for up to a year from the date you buy it. I already had a couple CHI-MKE tickets sitting around, so for my return journey that day, I just bought a ticket from GBB-CHI and then I was going to use the ticket I already had on the Hiawtha.

Well, #6 lost a lot of time and didn't get into Chicago until 9:30pm that night!!

I went to see passenger services because I missed the last train back to Milwaukee... and was pretty much stuck there in Chicago.

The guy told me that since my reservation numbers didn't match on the tickets from GBB-CHI and CHI-MKE, I didn't have a guaranteed connection and they were NOT obligated to do anything for me.

He said if I booked a through GBB-MKE ticket though, they would of had to give me a hotel or a bus ticket up to Milwaukee.

So, yep. :(

It does have a happy ending -- my folks live in the Chicago suburbs so I just crashed out there for the night and took the first Hiawatha back the next morning.

But it was still a valuable lesson.

You need to book your trip segments together and get the same reservation numbers on your tickets to have a guaranteed reservation.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, the OP's route is fine. However, just having a routing on a single reservation number is not enough to guarantee a connection.

Even though the system will allow you to construct multi-city connections as long as they meet the minimum connection times, that does not make the connection "guaranteed". The connection must be at a station that Amtrak deems to be the standard connecting point for the routing (both of the OP's are). Even if the routing is on a single PNR and the connection is OK time wise, if it is not at the normal connecting point for the route Amtrak will not guarantee the connection. Multi-city allows you to connect anywhere you want. Amtrak will only guarantee connections at certain stations.

Here is how to check. Take each two-segment portion of the route: say SBA to CHI and try a dummy booking for a standard one-way. If the Amtrak CRS constructs a connection at LAX with your selected trains, then it is a guaranteed connection. Same with LAX to IND. Dummy book one way, see if it connects CHI (it will).

Here is an example of a connection that is not guaranteed. Book Hartford CT to Miami as a multi-city HFD - NHV - PHL - MIA. You can book that using multi-city with all connections legal. The booking will have the same PNR. But, connecting from the NEC Regional to the Silver Service at PHL is not a standard connection. Amtrak will not guarantee that connection. If you misconnect at PHL, you are on your own. But dummy book NHV - MIA one way and you will get routings connecting at both NYP and WAS. Make those your connecting points for the multi-city purchase and you have guaranteed connections.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, the OP's route is fine. However, just having a routing on a single reservation number is not enough to guarantee a connection.
Even though the system will allow you to construct multi-city connections as long as they meet the minimum connection times, that does not make the connection "guaranteed". The connection must be at a station that Amtrak deems to be the standard connecting point for the routing (both of the OP's are). Even is the routing is on a single PNR and the connection is OK time wise, if it is not at the normal connecting point for the route Amtrak will not guarantee the connection. Multi-city allows you to connect anywhere you want. Amtrak will only guarantee connections at certain stations.

Here is how to check. Take each two-segment portion of the route: say SBA to CHI and try a dummy booking for a standard one-way. If the Amtrak CRS constructs a connection at LAX with your selected trains, then it is a guaranteed connection. Same with LAX to IND. Dummy book one way, see if it connects CHI (it will).

Here is an example of a connection that is not guaranteed. Book Hartford CT to Miami as a multi-city HFD - NHV - PHL - MIA. You can book that using multi-city with all connections legal. The booking will have the same PNR. But, connecting from the NEC Regional to the Silver Service at PHL is not a standard connection. Amtrak will not guarantee that connection. If you misconnect at PHL, you are on your own. But dummy book NHV - MIA one way and you will get routings connecting at both NYP and WAS. Make those your connecting points for the multi-city purchase and you have guaranteed connections.
Thanks PRR - I feel much better about it, now.

i have a guarenteed connection question i would appreciate an answer for. under one reservation number we are on the cascades arriving sea at 3:55pm and transfer to the eb leaving at 4:45pm. should the cacades miss the eb what would amtrak do with us. thanks

I tried using the tricks PRR 60 showed us to check my "guaranteed" connections and all of them came up appropriately.

However, from what everyone here has said it is very unlikely that arriving at WAS on the 30 Capital from CHI, I have very little chance making my connection at 4PM.

Similarly, I have been watching the delays on the 22 Eagle from STL into CHI and I have about 5 hours, however that sucker has been running an average of 4.5 late!

Making me nervous!

If I notice we are going to miss the CHI connection from the Texas Eagle, do I need to call Amtrak? If I can't make the connection, will they refund me or offer alternative transportation? I would love to take the train home (this trip is mainly just about enjoying the train) but I have to return to work and can't wait an extra day for another train to depart and would need to fly home.

Thoughts?

Thanks guys, leaving tomorrow! :)

"Let's say I want to go from Los Angeles, CA to Milwaukee, WI (connecting in Chicago obviously)."

There is no need to connect at Chicago to get to Milwaukee, coming from L.A. In May I rode the Coast Starlight from L.A., and made the guaranteed bus connection from Klamath Falls, OR, to Pasco, WA, to board the Portland section of the Builder. The Seattle and Portland sections join at Spokane, and the train stops at Milwaukee on the way to Chicago.

The bus connection schedule is heavily padded to account for the StarLATE's chronic tardiness, and was not was nearly as bad as expected; the driver was a good tour guide, pointing out scenic highlights along the way. The entire ride was done in daylight.

If you're taking the SWC or TE from L.A., then yeah you have to change at Chicago. But the EB has much better food. HAHA!!

"Let's say I want to go from Los Angeles, CA to Milwaukee, WI (connecting in Chicago obviously)."
There is no need to connect at Chicago to get to Milwaukee, coming from L.A.
Well, the quickest way from Los Angeles to Milwaukee is to connect in Chicago.

I've thought about doing the Starlight to the Builder, but all-day on a bus doesn't sound like too much fun.

I've known folks that bought separate tickets on separate reservations, and were accommodated when their first train missed the second. Maybe the rules are different when connecting to unreserved trains, but that wouldn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back