Handicap with Walker Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sheila

My husband needs to use his walker at all times. Will he be able to use the walker to get onto the shower seat or tolet seat in the bottom level handicapped room? We were thinking of taking the train across the country.

Shiela,

I too use a walker. If you have the H-room on a Superliner, there will be no problem. In coach, the lower level also has a handicapped rest room. However, all access to other cars (Dining Car, Lounge) is via the upper level only.

In a Viewliner (single level car), the H-room has an enclosed (with a door) rest room and shower. The entrance to the room is a direct straight line from the vestibule. However, the walker will not fit down the hallway or in 99% of the coach cars. Except for seating at one row at the end of the car, and at least one of the rest rooms in each coach.

If he is able to walk short distances (as I can), it is possible to move around. I use the walls of the sleeping cars, the "candy stripe" handrails between cars and the seatbacks for support. (As should everyone!)

Enjoy your trip!

When you make your reservation make sure to tell the agent your husband is using a walker and will need help with boarding and probably red cap assistance, that way it will be noted and your tickets and on SCA 's and Conductor's rooster.

Also, make sure you tell them that you will need IN ROOM SERVICE for your meals.

The access to the restroom in the H room is set for use with a wheelchair, so a walker should not be a problem. If there is no red cap service at any station you use, make sure you ask for assistance at the ticket counter. Amtrak will take you to and from the train. I am unable to walk any long distance so I need to always get a ride to the train. In Fort Worth for example, they don't have red caps, but they do have golf carts that they take you to the train on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back