Hello from Houston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a long-time fan of trains, with my first acquaintance of them going back to the 40s, riding the B&O or the Chesapeake & Ohio (don't remember which), since I was born and raised in Cleveland. Our family cat, in fact, was named "Chessie" in honor of the adorable corporate symbol of the C&O. As a college girl in 1958, I rode the Texas Eagle into Houston, having boarded in Kensett, Arkansas (a whistlestop back in the day), and again in 1962, pulling into the really nice Union Station that used to exist here in Houston. Since 1997, I've made several Amtrak trips (Texas Eagle, California Zephyr, Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, and the Sunset Limited from LA to Orlando). My next trip is scheduled to start on National Train Day (if the #22 Eagle actually gets to run that day), taking me to Chicago for a couple of days before boarding the Zephyr for another trek out to San Francisco.

It's a real treat on this site to reminisce, get information, and just be able to read the discussions of long-term rail people, fans like myself, and new riders who are learning what fun it is to ride the rails!

:hi: Welcome to the Forum, I too Remember the Old Union Station in Houston, Now the Lobby for Minute Maid Park where the Lastros try to Play Major Leauge Baseball!! :lol: The Agent in Austin just told me that the Eagle #22 will resume running to Chicago on Sat., May 7th ( which is National Train Day) IF No More Flooding Occurs Between Little Rock and St. Louis! Train #22 is currently Running from San Antonio to Texarkana Daily, Turning and Coming Back to San Antonio as #21! The Crews have been Changed Out by being Flown to/from CHI, No Alternate Trannsportation is Available between Texarkana and St. Louis AFAIK!

BTW-Isn't it a Shame that the Fourth Largest City in America only has Six Trains a Week and One Has to Ride A Bus! :eek: to Catch the Eagle in Longview!! :( :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a real treat on this site to reminisce, get information, and just be able to read the discussions of long-term rail people, fans like myself, and new riders who are learning what fun it is to ride the rails!
Aloha

Welcome to the Forums

Back