Hello to the Forum

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all! Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Ben and I'm from Seattle. I've had a fascination with trains ever since I was a teenager when I went to the model railroad show at the Pacific Science Center. My first experience riding the rails was a trip between SEA and PDX before the Cascades went into service. Ever since then I have taken a few short distance trips either to Seattle or Vancouver on the Cascades. I work for an airline, but still haven't lost my passion for trains. I'm planning to use my flight benefits in conjunction with riding the rails to see more of the US. At the end of March, I'll be taking my first long distance train(s) from Flagstaff to Portland, and I absolutely cannot wait!!

Hello all! Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Ben and I'm from Seattle. I've had a fascination with trains ever since I was a teenager when I went to the model railroad show at the Pacific Science Center. My first experience riding the rails was a trip between SEA and PDX before the Cascades went into service. Ever since then I have taken a few short distance trips either to Seattle or Vancouver on the Cascades. I work for an airline, but still haven't lost my passion for trains. I'm planning to use my flight benefits in conjunction with riding the rails to see more of the US. At the end of March, I'll be taking my first long distance train(s) from Flagstaff to Portland, and I absolutely cannot wait!!
Welcome!

That's an awesome combination--use the flight bennies to feed your rail addiction! I'll have to consider looking into what needs to be done so I can do that... :lol:

Are you taking the Southwest Chief from FLG to LAX and then the Coast Starlight to PDX? That's a great route--running at 90mph through the high desert of AZ/CA and then slowly ambling up the gorgeous Pacific coast and then through the Cascades. You should have a blast of a trip!

Feel free to post any questions on the forum for your trip. Definitely make sure you avail yourself of the use of the Sightseer Lounge on your trip (and, if you're booked into or upgrade to a sleeper on the Coast Starlight, the Pacific Parlour Car--see the link to the trip report in my signature below for more info on that)--experiencing the stunning scenery through the huge wraparound windows and getting to know your fellow passengers is one of the highlights of traveling by train.

Welcome aboard!

That's an awesome combination--use the flight bennies to feed your rail addiction! I'll have to consider looking into what needs to be done so I can do that... :lol:
Are you taking the Southwest Chief from FLG to LAX and then the Coast Starlight to PDX? That's a great route--running at 90mph through the high desert of AZ/CA and then slowly ambling up the gorgeous Pacific coast and then through the Cascades. You should have a blast of a trip!

Feel free to post any questions on the forum for your trip. Definitely make sure you avail yourself of the use of the Sightseer Lounge on your trip (and, if you're booked into or upgrade to a sleeper on the Coast Starlight, the Pacific Parlour Car--see the link to the trip report in my signature below for more info on that)--experiencing the stunning scenery through the huge wraparound windows and getting to know your fellow passengers is one of the highlights of traveling by train.

Welcome aboard!
Yup you got it right! Now that Ken Griffey Jr. has returned to the Mariners, I'll be going to Spring Training to catch a game.

I originally was going to make it a day trip, but since I was on vacation, I decided to slow things down a bit, enjoy the scenery and take the train back to the Pacific Northwest. I booked a roomette so I'm looking forward to all the perks that come with it.

My next trip is to either BOS or ORD to catch the Sox or the Cubbies, and of course to take a train!

Yup you got it right!

I originally was going to make it a day trip, but since I was on vacation, I decided to slow things down a bit, enjoy the scenery and take the train back to the Pacific Northwest. I booked a roomette so I'm looking forward to all the perks that come with it.

My next trip is to either BOS or ORD to catch the Sox or the Cubbies, and of course to take a train!
I did the same thing many time when I worked for an airline back in the 80's. I'd fly up to Montreal and take Amtrak back home - in the same day! It was the best of both worlds!

Make sure you spend at least some time in the Pacific Parlour Car on the Coast Starlight! B) After spending time in the Sightseer Lounge on the Southwest Chief, you'll see the big difference. And don't forget to avail use of the Traxx Lounge at LA Union Station. (It's one of the benefits of a sleeper.) And don't forget that all your meals {in the dining car and or Pacific Parlour Car - not the snack bar} are included - and include the main meal, non-alcoholic beverage and desert.

Back