Help..cutting it too close?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njulian

Service Attendant
I had booked a trip quite awhile ago and then got a schedule change notice. I am worried the new schedule will cut my connection time too close. I am booked Surfliner 591 leaves Anaheim 8:30 pm, arrive in LA 9:20 pm, board Sunset Limited at 10:00 pm. Is this cutting it too close? If there's a delay and I miss this long distance train I am up a creek. The other Surfliner that I could take is Surfliner 785 leaving at 6:08 arrive LA at 6:55 (this is on a Sunday). So then I sit in the LA train station for 3 hours, but better than missing it all together. What do you pros think? Take the 6:08 train or have faith and take the 8:30? Thanks

I would take the earlier train. Better early than late. Especially for a train that only runs three days a week.

But that is me. I don't mind a three hour wait for the peace of mind.

Don't sit in LAUS the whole time. Go have a tasty French Dip at Phillipes for supper. If you have carry on bags you don't want to schlep over to Phillipes, the baggage room will hold your bags for $4(?) each.

Amtrak will guarantee that connection on your reservation, otherwise wouldn't you they have rebooked you automatically on the earlier train instead. 591 to 2 is showing up as the 40 minute connection in the reservation system too, so its now the listed the connection for passengers going from as far south as San Diego and connecting to #2.

If somehow the Surfliner's more than 40 minutes late I assume they will hold #2 or otherwise do something like bus everyone (you won't be the only one connecting) from maybe Fullerton or Pamona (the first stop on #2), Departure time from Pamona is 10:41pm, leaving Los Angeles on the Sunset is slow, you follow a circuitous route.

We are doing like that very soon!! and I booked the earlier train . Since it's the beginning of our trip, I wanted to not worry. We are also coming from SLO. Instead, thanks to everyone's advice, we are coming in around 7 pm and plan to hit the legendary Phillipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back