Help with LD trip plans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amamba

Engineer
Ok so I presently have my upcoming trip all reserved and I am so excited. I am departing SEA on Monday, 3/24, connecting to the CZ in SAC on 3/25. Then in CHI I am taking the Cardinal on 3/27 (no overnight in CHI).

I had originally booked the Cardinal to NYP and was going to spend the night at a friend's house. Now I am thinking that I will just want to go home, and am contemplating detraining at WAS from the Card and then taking 66 up the coast overnight.

The bonus of that is that I can wait in WAS, where the club acela is open until 10 pm.

What do you guys think?

if I have a misconnect in CHI or elsewhere, is it better to have just my trip all booked together? Because I am worried that if I misconnect in CHI I won't want to do the overnight in NYP and then I'll be pissed that I paid for the NYP - PVD segment (the rest of my trip is an award). Plus if I mis-connect in CHI maybe they can just toss me on the LSL or the Cap that night and then send me up the corridor the next day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since your award trip is booked to NYP, in the event of a misconnect in CHI, the most likely course of action is to put you on the LSL. You can either execute the overnight as planned or grab 178 and get home that night (leaves NYP at 7:45, so this may not be an option if the LSL gets a little late).

In the event of a BAD misconnect forcing an overnight in CHI, you'll get out the next day and be SOL on your NYP-PVD leg.

You've ready paid for that leg? If you had the points to burn a second award on it, that would give you the flexability to move it around at-will.

You've ready paid for that leg? If you had the points to burn a second award on it, that would give you the flexability to move it around at-will.
Like a moron I booked it on the 25% day advance purchase rate. Whoops. It seemed like a waste to book an award for a $47 fare. But I don't mind cancelling it and getting an e-voucher.

Ok how bizarre - now amtrak.com is showing the Starlight sold out on 3/24? The entire train? Uh oh..that generally doesn't bode well.

Looks like you have 4 possibilities.

1. Everything is on time: You don't need it.

2. Slight delay so that you end up on the LSL and:

2a. LSL is on time and you don't need it (catch 178)

2b. LSL is also delayed, you overnight in NY and use the paid leg.

3. Massive delay: Overnight in CHI, you won't get there in time to use it.

Edit: No sooner than I hit "post" than I thought of another one:

1b(?) You connect in CHI with no problems, but the Card ends up massively delayed and you miss 66. You'll get to NYP super late and will want the overnight. You'll want that paid leg in that situation (and this one is probably pretty likely).

You're chances of making the #6 to #50 Connection in CHI is Better than 50/50 but I think if you want to be Certain of making your Connection in CHI Id think about Switching to the Cap Ltd. to WAS, then the #66 to PVD (in Business Class!!! Definitely Worth it for the overnight!) As was said, in a Pinch you could take the Lake Shore to NYP and hop #66 in the Wee Hours (3AM) to PVD.

As you know, if it's Amtrak's Fault you missed Connections they will either Re-Book you on a Later Train (CL#30 or LSL#49) out of CHI or if Extremely Late, Put you up Overnite on their Dime and Book you on a Space Available Basis( may be Coach!) on the Next days CL or LSL since the Card is a 3 Day a Week Train!

I suggest Monitoring the Status of #6 and if Running Late into CHI call AGR (they are Open until 12AM EDT) and Rebook on either #30 or #48 so as to get a Sleeper and Modify your Biz Class Ticket on #66 WAS!-PVD!!!

Yeah I booked the Cardinal specifically because you all on this forum told me that it had nice scenery! :p

I think maybe I'll just stick with what I have for now. Realistically, my trip is multiple days so that if I discover that the CZ is running late, I should be able to able to call AGR and switch to the Cap or LSL from the train, right?

So maybe I'll keep the paid overnight for now and then figure out the plan as I go along.

But in all seriousness, I am even more alarmed now that the entire CS seems to be "sold out" on 3/24 - like when they block sales on a certain train because something bad happened.

Yeah I booked the Cardinal specifically because you all on this forum told me that it had nice scenery! :p

I think maybe I'll just stick with what I have for now. Realistically, my trip is multiple days so that if I discover that the CZ is running late, I should be able to able to call AGR and switch to the Cap or LSL from the train, right?

So maybe I'll keep the paid overnight for now and then figure out the plan as I go along.

But in all seriousness, I am even more alarmed now that the entire CS seems to be "sold out" on 2/24 - like when they block sales on a certain train because something bad happened.
I notice that #14 is shown as SOLD OUT on Both Sun 3/23 and Mon 3/24! (Including Riding an AMBus and a San Joaquin across the Interior Valley) Since you have a Rez (Im guesiing AGR Award) I suggest you Call and find out if it's Truely SOLD OUT or there is something like Track Work going on! It is Spring Break Time Most Places and since these Dates are on Sun and Mon on a Very Popular Route I'm thinking that they Really Are SOLD OUT!

Ok folks, got an email from amtrak today about track work affecting my trip.

I called amtrak and they are doing trackwork between Portland and Eugene.

She said that we would take the Coast Starlight from SEA - PDX and then transfer to a bus. Then from PDX to Eugene we take bus. Then we got BACK on the train in Eugene, which I would take to SAC. She assured me that I would be in the sleeper from SEA - PDX and Eugene to SAC.

What do you folks think? Should I try to change my trip a day or two because of change? What are the chance that the bus is really only this short of a thing? Are there chances of delays in SAC where I might miss the connection to the CZ?

If I come home a day earlier I will miss the track work, but would have to take the Cap or the LSL out of CHI instead of the Cardinal. Will I be kicking myself to miss the cardinal? I can't decide...

I do like the Cardinal scenery eastbound. (I've only taken it eastbound - a few times.) But if the choice is going earlier and miss the track work and bustitution or take the Cardinal, I myself would go earlier. Unless you have an odd numbered room in THE one sleeper on the Cardinal, you'll probably will miss the Gorge since you may stay in your room and there is no (real) lounge car.

Any chance you can leave Seattle on the #501 at 7:30AM? This gets you on an earlier bus to Eugene from PDX. Pay for one or both of these instead of burning points.

You need the sleeper from Eugene to Sacramento overnight. There is no chance of not making the connection from the CS to the CZ in SAC.

You should have enough time to go out for breakfast and get back to SAC by 10:45AM.

Eugene is a nice college town to wander around for about 3 hours. The CS will leave EUG promptly at 5:03PM.

There are some couches for sleeper passengers just to the left of the baggage area in SAC if you decide to stay and skip breakfast.

Not to put down spending extra time in Eugene, but if she takes 501/Ambus she would have to spend more points or cash. If she takes the CS/CZ/etc from SEA, it's the same amount of points either from SEA or Eugene!

Not to put down spending extra time in Eugene, but if she takes 501/Ambus she would have to spend more points or cash. If she takes the CS/CZ/etc from SEA, it's the same amount of points either from SEA or Eugene!
And supposedly I will be in the sleeper on the CS from SEA - PDX. I actually did just check and one is still able to buy sleeping accommodations from SEA - PDX on my the day of my trip.

Ok I took the_traveler's advice and changed my reservation. I am now leaving on Sunday and then will just take the LSL back to BOS.

This gives me a nice long connection time in CHI (and I was kind of starting to get anxiety about the close connection to the Cardinal) and I can hopefully have dinner with a friend. While in SAC I will try to go find breakfast and hang out for a few hours. They wouldn't let me connect in Davis or Martinez (I tried).

I decided to just take the 448 back to BOS as amazingly nothing comes up to PVD in arrow (it doesn't brother either the LSL or the Cap with a regional connection). I'll just make my H pick me up in BOS or take the MBTA home.

I'll be sure to report back on the wine/cheese tastings on the CS and the LSL! :)

What day are you returning to the NEC? It may be a case where they need to add connections to PVD in Arrow.

When I was looking to take a NER to NYP to catch the LSL, it wasn't an option, but the I discovered that it wasn't an option on weekends, or at least Sunday, because the normal connection didn't run then. I contacted AGR Insider on FlyerTalk and he got them to add the connection for the weekends.

So, maybe check other days of the week to see if a connection shows up and if it does, contact AGR Insider.

Or you can just purchase a round-trip coach ticket SAC-MTZ-SAC or SAC-DAV-SAC on the CS & CZ. (I have done that before - and they may and probably will let you occupy your room on the CZ early.) if the LSL is on time to BOS or BBY, #67 departs for PVD near arrival time. I think MBTA also has a later train that night to PVD.

What day are you returning to the NEC? It may be a case where they need to add connections to PVD in Arrow.

When I was looking to take a NER to NYP to catch the LSL, it wasn't an option, but the I discovered that it wasn't an option on weekends, or at least Sunday, because the normal connection didn't run then. I contacted AGR Insider on FlyerTalk and he got them to add the connection for the weekends.

So, maybe check other days of the week to see if a connection shows up and if it does, contact AGR Insider.
Yeah its weird, its weekdays. I am sure that the connections just need to be added but honestly I would rather just take the 448 to BOS and be in the sleeper all the way then have to get off the CL in WAS and ride 8 hours up the NEC in BC on a regional.

Thanks traveler, I will look at the fares on those coach tix SAC - DAV - SAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back