Hiawatha engine trouble

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogdor

BURNiNATOR
CP is working on the KK bridge in Milwaukee (about 2-3 miles east of the station). As a result, trains 7 and 8 detoured via CN and Metra between Columbus and Glenview (bustitution CBS-MKE). Hiawatha trains operated MKA-CHI only, bustitution MKE-MKA.

I went down to meet a friend in Glenview, and we drove out to Prairie Crossing, where train 8 came through at 16:13 and train 7 came through at 16:51 (both were running just a little bit late, due to the detour; train 7 sat at Rondout waiting for 8, both because there is only a single track, and also because 7 had to use the Metra pilot that was coming in on 8). Standard passenger consist on both trains, and train 8 had an ExpressTrak boxcar.

I wanted to take train 334 down, since I was worried that train 336 might be late (if train 7 was on time, it would go through Glenview 36 minutes after 336 was scheduled through, and so if 336 was late, there might not be enough time to see 7 on the detour). I made my own way down to MKA, and there were about 30 people waiting in the station when I got there at 10:25. Train 334 was sitting in the station (same consist as train 341, which I rode last night).

The conductors waived us on board at about 10:50 (which, incidentally, was the time the train was scheduled to depart MKE). We then waited for the buses, which arrived shortly after 11:00 (which was the time 334 was scheduled to depart MKA). We then sat there for a half hour, at which time the conductor came on the PA, apologizing for the delay, stating that we were being delayed due to mechanical trouble.

Meanwhile, train 333 was scheduled into MKA at 11:34, and, according to "Julie," was only running about 6 minutes late. This meant that the train was sitting south (railroad east) of us, while our train was blocking the single platform.

At noon, the conductor again apologized for the delay, and said there was no estimate for when we'd be able to get going (at that point, I figured we'd probably be going down on train 336, scheduled to leave MKA at 13:10). He said that passengers wishing to cancel their travel plans could board the bus back to the downtown station. A decent number of passengers decided to give it up and turn around and go home (though I never did get a count of how many passengers were on the train, before or after the announcement).

A short time later, a female passenger came into the car and told people that we'd be combining with the other train and leaving on its schedule. A few minutes later, the conductor made the announcement that train 333 would be coupling up to us, push us back, unload its passengers, and we'd be on our way as soon as possible. They finally made the coupling at 12:15, but it was another 20 minutes before we moved slightly north (west) so that 333's passengers could get off (only an hour late). Then the conductor announced a change in plans, and said we'd be holding for train 336's schedule. They pulled the train east again, so that the six-car consist was on the platform. Then they boarded the passengers at MKA that were waiting for train 336. However, at 13:00, they pushed us back again, so that the four-car consist was on the platform. Then they loaded folks from the buses, and had us on our way at 13:23, 13 minutes late (or 2 hours and 23 minutes late, if you will). We got to Glenview at 14:17 (16 minutes off 336's schedule). Fortunately, trains 7 and 8 were running a bit late, so I was able to see them at Prairie Crossing (near the CN/Metra junction).

Needless to say, trains 335 and 338 were cancelled.

As we were heading back to Glenview, I called to check on the status of train 339 (which is part of the 334-335-338 rotation). There was no report as of 17:30 (scheduled departure from CHI: 17:08), so I asked an agent for an update. He called Chicago, and got back to me saying the train was delayed due to mechanical problems (which I already knew, I was just wondering if there was an estimate for time). In the end, it got to Glenview at 18:19, with the 173 out, and the 500 pulling the train. The rest of the consist was the same as the would-be-334 trainset.

Final arrival at MKA was 19:27, 59 minutes late. Buses to downtown Milwaukee arrived shortly before 20:00.

One Hiawatha consist had six cars because of a "Murder Mystery" dinner group that had chartered two extra cars to be put on the train.

For those that are interested, the consists (from front to rear):

336(10):

186**

90200*

51503*

54579*

54029*

54563*

54554*

51003*

173*

*Originally scheduled to be train 334(10), which was cancelled due to trouble with E/173

**This consist had E/85 last night. The trainset spent the night in Chicago, and the engine was swapped overnight.

339(10):

I was going to make a run up to Milwauke that day, leaving at about 3 pm. I dont recall the exact time. However, there was an announcement that the train would be late, and then I saw that an earlier Milwaukke Chicago train had been canceled. So i decided to go another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back