Holding luggage (Chicago)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ana

Train Attendant
I'm tossing around some ideas for my July trip and hoping to get some advice.

I take the EB from Seattle to Chicago, arriving on a Monday. I'm then staying 2 nights in Chicago before flying to Canada for a long weekend. I return to Chicago late the following Monday for a few days more, then I take the CZ back to the West Coast. I'm staying in different hotels before and after the Canada trip.

Since my trip to Canada is for less than a week, I'd prefer not to check bags on those flights, especially as each way it's two flights with different airlines with long layovers in between. I figure I have three options.

(1) Carrying on board from Seattle everything that I'd need for those few days in Chicago (in amounts the airline will allow me to carryon) while checking my suitcase to Chicago with the expectation that I'd not be retrieving it for a week after I arrived.

(2) Looking into the possibility the hotel I'll be at after my return from Canada would store bags for almost a week in advance of me checking in?

(3) leaving my suitcase with a friend in Chicago. Really a last resort as it would mean trekking out to her place on the el and that'll be both time consuming and a total pain in the neck (back, arms..). I'd be leaning towards taking everything with me to Canada before this option.

In the past I've checked luggage from Charleston SC to Chicago and I had a night in WAS in between and then took the Cardinal so my bags travelled without me and it seemed pretty secure when I collected them. But Amtrak knew that I was arriving later than my bags because they made this booking having seen all my tickets. If I check bags in Seattle with the intention of collecting them a 8 days after our arrival in Chicago, do I need to say anything to the ticket agent? Will they be safe or will Amtrak assume that I've abandoned them. It seems like it could cause the baggage agent inconvenience if they are waiting around assuming I'm still trying to find my way from the train to baggage claim.

Regarding option (2) is that even remotely feasible? I've left bags for half a day, but I don't suppose they really want to clutter up their luggage room with bags belonging to someone who hasn't yet been a guest.

Is there anything else I've not considered? (4) pack less sounds nice, but I'm in North America for 3 weeks all up, I will need to take a suitcase in addition to what I can fit in carryon sized bags.

Thanks!

I really don't know what to say, except that Amtrak will hold your bags for you free of charge for 2 days after arrival! After that, I believe they charge a storage fee of $3 per bag! If you were to do this, I'd notify the agent in SEA to notate on the luggage tag that they "will be retrieved on ____"! (This way, they will not be thought to be abandoned.)

If at all possible, do not retrieve your bags in Chicago for a day or two to cut down on the storage fees. You can likewise check your luggage up to 2 days prior to travel for no charge!

I don't know where the first hotel is located, but maybe you can ask them to hold your bags for a few days, and then upon your return retrieve them and take them to Union Station to check the 2 or 3 days early!
excl.gif

Thanks The_Traveler! I will definitely ask the agent in SEA to make a note of the date, that would alleviate most of my concerns. The $3 a day storage fee sounds like a bargain compared to the cost of checking the bags with the airline, so I think I'll try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back