Hollywood Does It Again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
If you happened to see the CBS TV show, Criminal Minds last night the last 10 minutes or so were supposed to be taking place in Washington DC Union Station. At least that's what the actors said as they played out their roles chasing a serial killer. But WAS it wasn't. It was LAUS being called WAS.

Scene: Good guys enter the station and start looking around. It was the LAUS ticket window area.

Scene: They are in the tunnel under the tracks talking to each other on their two-ways asking if anyone has seen the bad guy.

Scene: The creep up a ramp from the tunnel to the track level platforms as someone spotted the bad guy sitting on a bench, track side. The platform covers are visible and it is clearly LAUS. The camera pans and thee is a Metrolink car sitting a few tracks over. Then a couple of surfliner cars are show in the other direction.

Scene: A look toward the end of the tracks with the car bumper quite visible near the wall at the end of the tracks.

Scene: The good guys confront the bad guy and his girlfriend. Just as a screaming Surfliner (50-60 MPH) comes down the track, the bad guy and his girl friend jump in front of it. In real life it would have .5 seconds to stop before ending up on the 101.

I wonder how many 1000's of TV watchers thought it was really WAS? I'm sure LA area folks knew what was going on.

One of the most blatant examples of NOT TRUE to LIFE rail scenes I've ever seen.

I'm pretty sure that 99.99 percent of TV watchers didn't notice and didn't care.

If you happened to see the CBS TV show, Criminal Minds last night the last 10 minutes or so were supposed to be taking place in Washington DC Union Station. At least that's what the actors said as they played out their roles chasing a serial killer. But WAS it wasn't. It was LAUS being called WAS.snip

One of the most blatant examples of NOT TRUE to LIFE rail scenes I've ever seen.
Reality in Hollywood :lol: They are the city of great pretenders :) And with fuel/travel cost up, there will be less authentic locations.

When people ask "what industry" i work in my answer is Imagination

Aloha and Mahalo

Los Angeles is all over movies and television; almost impossible to watch prime time TV without seeing L.A., at least in commercials. An old college buddy, visiting California for the first time, said as we were cruising around L.A., "I feel like we're in the middle of a big movie set." "Dude, we are."

EDIT: I felt the same way my first time in New York City.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has always been that way.

Living in L.A. I see it all the time, in fact, it is a game for people who live here to

pick out the various locations when viewing movies.

They are, as we speak preserving the hangar from the

famous Casablanca airport scene. It was shot at Van Nuys airport, much cheaper than

going around the world. If you ever take the Surfliner or Coast Starlight you go right

past it.

It has always been that way. Living in L.A. I see it all the time, in fact, it is a game for people who live here to

famous Casablanca airport scene. It was shot at Van Nuys airport, much cheaper than

going around the world. If you ever take the Surfliner or Coast Starlight you go right

past it.
In a reversal of roles, my crystal ball is asking ME questions. It wants to know if rogers55 plans to attend the Gathering at L.A. in October, and if so, why no registration. If I had known it would be so nosey I never woulda bought it off that Aladdin dude. He also tried to sell me some kinda weird lamp. Looked like a teakettle. The guy said it would give me three fishes, but since I have plenty of canned tuna and frozen salmon on hand I declined.

When you film a show in Los Angeles, it's a bit expensive to do ten minutes of footage on location on the other side of the country. So, you make do.

The do the same thing with airports all of the time.

He also tried to sell me some kinda weird lamp. Looked like a teakettle.
Mine too! He said that there will be smoke, and a genie would appear. But when I filled it with water and boiled it on the stove, the kitchen caught fire. There was a lot of smoke, but all that appeared was the fire department! :lol:
And I use the moniker "Hollywierd" to describe the movie industry home. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aloha

He also tried to sell me some kinda weird lamp. Looked like a teakettle.
Mine too! He said that there will be smoke, and a genie would appear. But when I filled it with water and boiled it on the stove, the kitchen caught fire. There was a lot of smoke, but all that appeared was the fire department! :lol:
And I use the moniker "Hollywierd" to describe the movie industry home. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aloha
Back in the days of the Pacific Electric and L.A. Railway, it was HollyWIRED.

00041103.jpg

Hollywood Freeway through Cahuenga Pass, with Pacific Electric rails in median. Today it's all freeway, and there's not even any way to walk the pass. EDIT: Note billboard for pet cemetary.

If you happened to see the CBS TV show, Criminal Minds last night the last 10 minutes or so were supposed to be taking place in Washington DC Union Station. At least that's what the actors said as they played out their roles chasing a serial killer. But WAS it wasn't. It was LAUS being called WAS.
Scene: Good guys enter the station and start looking around. It was the LAUS ticket window area.

Scene: They are in the tunnel under the tracks talking to each other on their two-ways asking if anyone has seen the bad guy.

Scene: The creep up a ramp from the tunnel to the track level platforms as someone spotted the bad guy sitting on a bench, track side. The platform covers are visible and it is clearly LAUS. The camera pans and thee is a Metrolink car sitting a few tracks over. Then a couple of surfliner cars are show in the other direction.

Scene: A look toward the end of the tracks with the car bumper quite visible near the wall at the end of the tracks.

Scene: The good guys confront the bad guy and his girlfriend. Just as a screaming Surfliner (50-60 MPH) comes down the track, the bad guy and his girl friend jump in front of it. In real life it would have .5 seconds to stop before ending up on the 101.

I wonder how many 1000's of TV watchers thought it was really WAS? I'm sure LA area folks knew what was going on.

Who cares. This is TV, not a test - which is why it's called fiction!

M*A*S*H was not shot in South Korea.

Gilligan's Island was not shot on some Pacific island.

Bonanza was not shot in Nevada.

Oklahoma! was not shot in Oklahoma.

Wizard of Oz was not shot in Kansas.

Aloha

Some of it was shot here but most was shot on the set/tour at Universal Studio in Burbank. I always thought how funny, the way the boat left for it's 3 hour tour :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aloha

Some of it was shot here but most was shot on the set/tour at Universal Studio in Burbank. I always thought how funny, the way the boat left for it's 3 hour tour :lol: :lol: :lol:
And M*A*S*H, the TV series, was shot in the Santa Monica mountains (technically L.A.). Remnants of the set remain, and recently there was a sort of reunion at the location.

It has always been that way. Living in L.A. I see it all the time, in fact, it is a game for people who live here to

past it.
In a reversal of roles, my crystal ball is asking ME questions. It wants to know if rogers55 plans to attend the Gathering at L.A. in October, and if so, why no registration. If I had known it would be so nosey I never woulda bought it off that Aladdin dude. He also tried to sell me some kinda weird lamp. Looked like a teakettle. The guy said it would give me three fishes, but since I have plenty of canned tuna and frozen salmon on hand I declined.
Only three fish, you got robbed.

I don't know what my schedule will be in October. I will try to make it though.

It would be interesting to see what some of you look like. Or maybe not.

Right now I am concentrating on getting on the SWC in 9 days.

My introduction to film locations was right after I moved here from NY. I came home from work and my wife

greeted me with, "Some movie people came by and they want to film on our street."

I said "Fine."

She said ,"They want to tear out your rose bushes, they will replant them when they are done."

I said, "They can't do that, those are my roses."

She said,"they wondered if $400 would be enough."

I didn't like those flowers anyhow.

As it turned out the put up a phony hedge in front of the roses and never touched them. Paid me the $400 anyhow.

Nice folks.

past it.
Now I remember. It is not the legs that go first, its the short term memory.

I can't make the gathering because I have a big fundraising event that weekend.

That weekend is the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life event in Simi Valley.

You are all invited, just take the Surfliner and get off at Simi Valley. Ask for directions to Royal High School.

Simi Valley, by the way, is where a lot of the old westerns were filmed. Also was the location for the Richard Chamberlain production of The Thorn Birds. The Australian gum trees you may have noticed in the film are real, they were imported from Australia in 1880. Makes the movie very authentic.

I seem to remember a topic on here about people getting grief for trying to take a simple photo in WAS station.. imagine the hassle with making a movie.. those "bad guys" would know what the inside of the station looked like too..

As a foreigner, I am greatfull to hollywood, the yellow school buses, the steam rising from the manholes, the cops with guns, it was all familiar from the movies. Thanks to hollywood, someone once called visiting America: "the shock of the familiar"

Bit odd to find the whole world available in miniature in Las Vegas, though!

Ed B)

Aloha

Back when Gillian's Island was first airing, many viewers wrote "hate mail" to the Navy, chewing them out for not rescuing these fine stranded Americans.

LAUS is often used as a filming site. I went through there several times when they were shooting "Numbers". Also, many commercials and videos are filmed there, and a bunch more across the street along Olvera Street. More than likely, those who go to the October gathering will see some sort of filming around LAUS.

You are all invited, just take the Surfliner and get off at Simi Valley. Ask for directions to Royal High School.Simi Valley, by the way, is where a lot of the old westerns were filmed. Also was the location for the Richard Chamberlain production of The Thorn Birds. The Australian gum trees you may have noticed in the film are real, they were imported from Australia in 1880. Makes the movie very authentic.
Folks can visit the nearby Santa Susana Field Laboratory, home of one of America's worst nuclear accidents. It's about three miles, as the crow flies, from the train station.

When I was in Washington a month ago, there was an announcement in the Metro, that one of the trains was not running, because of filming.

I wasn't taking/waiting for that train, but I did get to thinking that I would be mighty upset if I was unable to take the Metro that morning, because my train was being used in a film.

00041103.jpg
Hollywood Freeway through Cahuenga Pass, with Pacific Electric rails in median. Today it's all freeway, and there's not even any way to walk the pass. EDIT: Note billboard for pet cemetary.
This is a really nice picture of the past AND hopefully of a not too distant future... and the word "FREEWAY" shouldn't it called unfree way?? when everybody is getting trapped in the traffic generated by everybody without having an alternative. :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back