Hoping to Take My First LD Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madzoo

Train Attendant
I've been lurking around here for a while and decided to join in. I haven't been on Amtrak since about 1984 when I took a round trip between Chicago and Alton on the Ann Rutledge. I'm scheduled for a round trip between Chicago and Seattle on the Empire Builder in about a week. I've been reading about all the problems, but I decided I'm just going to roll with it.

I have a couple questions. Do I have to check in with anyone at Union Station, or do I take care of it while boarding? Also, does anyone know what would happen if the train arrives back in Chicago too late for me to catch Metra back to the suburbs? I'm hoping they just don't toss me out in the street and tell me to try not to get robbed. :)

I can't answer the second part about the Metra, but as far as checking in, if you are traveling by coach, you would go to the gate that the Empire Builder uses, you can find that on any of the Amtrak message boards. Then wait until boarding is called and show them your ticket then follow everyone to the train and the people at the train will tell you which train to get on. MAKE SURE, you tell them you are going to Seattle so you get on the right section of train as part splits and goes down to Portland Oregon and the rest continues on to Seattle.

If you are in a sleeper, there is a lounge to use and then they will walk everyone to their train.

As said, if you're in coach and already have your ticket in hand (including if you have the printout of your confirmation or on your cell phone or tablet) and have no baggage to check, you can just go to the NORTH waiting area. There is no check-in like at the airport. If you need to obtain your ticket, you can either go to the ticket counter or to one of the Quik Trak (QT) machines to obtain your printed ticket. (If you have an e-ticket, there really is no need for a printed ticket.) If you have bags to check, they must be checked in at the ticket counter no later than 45 minutes prior to departure. If you're in a sleeper, you can wait in the Metropolitan Lounge.

Enjoy your trip! :)

Amtrak doesn't guarantee the connection to Metra, so you would, in a sense, be out on the street when Union Station closes. Metra runs pretty late, though.

If you don't get in until midnight or so, do you have someone who could come pick you up? Maybe you could take the L as far N/W/S as possible and they could get you at the endpoint.

The other option is to take the Blue Line to O'Hare and hang out there. Then you could hop on Metra, a Pace bus, or the L to get to wherever is most convenient for you.

I hope you will have an enjoyable trip. If you just need somewhere cheap to spend the night if the train is extra late, you might consider reserving a bed in a dormitory at Chicago Hostels International. As an emergency option it will cost around $35 to pre-book the bed, so if the train gets in early, you have only lost $35. I know hostels are not everyones cup of tea, but H. I. Hostels are decent places for travellers, not the homeless!

Ed :cool:

Thanks for the replies. If the train does get in after midnight, I'll book a room. I know from experience it usually takes less than 20 minutes from the time I book online to the time the reservation shows up at the hotel. I have an app for cabs too, so I should be OK. I just can't let my phone battery go dead.

Thanks for the replies. If the train does get in after midnight, I'll book a room. I know from experience it usually takes less than 20 minutes from the time I book online to the time the reservation shows up at the hotel. I have an app for cabs too, so I should be OK. I just can't let my phone battery go dead.
Each set of seats has electrical outlets on the Empire Builder, so you should just remember to bring your phone charger.

Thanks. I'll be sure to bring my charger with its AC adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back