hot chocolate

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob_C

Lead Service Attendant
Is it available or should I plan on bringing some packets for those not coffee-inclined?

I don't think I've ever seen it onboard, actually. Bring some packets and ask for a cup of hot water at the cafe.

I've seen it in the Cafe car on the NE Regionals and the Empire Service trains. But, I would bring my own just to be safe.

I wish they would keep some in the sleeper cars with the coffee. That would be nice.

Is it bad form to bring a packet into the dining car and upon asking for it and being told "sorry we don't carry that" whipping out the packet and politely asking for a cup of hot water?

Is it bad form to bring a packet into the dining car and upon asking for it and being told "sorry we don't carry that" whipping out the packet and politely asking for a cup of hot water?
I think that is just fine.

Now, not sharing it with tablemates would be bad form. :lol:

I don't think it would be bad form. It would be the same as asking for flavored tea, being told they didn't have it and using your own tea bag and just asking for hot water! And I have seen many use things like their own Equal and Splenda - because Amtrak doesn't offer it!

I wish they would keep some in the sleeper cars with the coffee. That would be nice.
With a bottle of Schnapps next to it :lol:
Or Vandermint or Bailey's (Just don't drink too much!) :lol:

I never saw any hot chocolate in the diner, but IIRC there was some in the Cafe Car.

Maybe just bring some along.

It would be nice to have Hot Chocolate in the sleepers too. But there's no hot water for it in most of the sleepers now.

I don't think it would be bad form. It would be the same as asking for flavored tea, being told they didn't have it and using your own tea bag and just asking for hot water! And I have seen many use things like their own Equal and Splenda - because Amtrak doesn't offer it!

My girl friend is a tea drinker who brings her own, and this was not a problem. In fact, on 21, when we went from Chicago to STL in a roomette, I made multiple trips back in forth to get hot water for her from the CCC so she could drink tea that would comfort her from cold symptoms. I don't know that each CCC crew would be as accomodating, but the LSA did get a nice tip from me.

Possibly things have changed recently, but there use to be hot chocolate packets in the drawer along with the tea bags.

I don't think I've ever seen it onboard, actually. Bring some packets and ask for a cup of hot water at the cafe.

Anyone know if the cafe charges for the hot water? (Serious question)
There are two style Amtrak paper hot cups, one style is only found in the sleeper cars. The other type is in cafe food service cars and is is an accountable inventory item for the LSA. He must show that each cup was sold or pay for it out of his pocket. So a generous LSA (with a generous tip upfront) may give you a cup, but by the rules he should charge you for a cup of coffee.

:rolleyes: :cool: :cool: :rolleyes:

When my wife and I did our 2008 cross country train trip to Sacramento, I suggested that she bring the packets of hot chocolate as I have never seen it available on LD trains.

She did, and in the dining cars, she simply pulled out the packet and was brought hot water without any problems. One morning, the dining car attendant said, "Here is the hot water for your tea," and then winked. Perhaps that is the way it is coded?

The snack bar simply gave her hot water upon request.

She already has her stock of hot chocolate packets ready (Swiss Miss low-sugar with small marshmellows) for our BIG trip the end of January, PGH to CHI to LAX to SEA to CHI to PGH. Several days in LAX and SEA. That will take a whole box of hot chocolate packets.

actually now we do carry splenda. I know on 19/20 we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back