Hot Water

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Konrad

Lead Service Attendant
I'll be traveling transcontinental (again) in March and, at the risk of offending all you Americans, I loath the boiled sludge you call coffee and was wondering if it's possible to obtain boiling water from the sleeping car attendant or dining car staff to make coffee or tea during the journey?

Caffeine withdrawal can make me a very unhappy traveler! :blink:

Previous trips include the Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Capitol Limited, Cardinal and Southwest Chief. This time it's the California Zephyr.

"if it's possible to obtain boiling water from the sleeping car attendant or dining car staff to make coffee or tea during the journey"

It might be an extremely expensive cup of hot water ;) . Since you likely will have access to a plug, why don't you buy a heater coil (perches on the side of a cup) or a very small plug in electric hot water heater (about 2 cup capacity)once you get here. We used this method in Europe. It doesn't add that much weight to your pack and you can use it to hold your teabags, and other accroutrements.

Without a gizmo as suggested above, Konrad, you might choose your lesser of two evils: Boiled sludge or caffeine withdrawal? <_<

I'm a coffee snob, but was very pleased with the coffee I was served on the Carolinian a couple weeks ago. Very nice.

Also, I agree with Guest. If you're in a sleeper, you'll have a power plug. Grab one of heater coils, you're own special mug, and your favorite brew (instant if all you need is hot water?) and you're good to go.

18501030021.jpg

If you make a mess in your tiny quarters, though, tip the poor sleeping attendant well!

"if it's possible to obtain boiling water from the sleeping car attendant or dining car staff to make coffee or tea during the journey"
It might be an extremely expensive cup of hot water ;) . Since you likely will have access to a plug, why don't you buy a heater coil (perches on the side of a cup) or a very small plug in electric hot water heater (about 2 cup capacity)once you get here. We used this method in Europe. It doesn't add that much weight to your pack and you can use it to hold your teabags, and other accroutrements.
I thought of that but it'd be a purely US purchase - our 240 volt supply is rather interesting when used on a US 110 volt appliance. Mebbe I'll have to stick to cola for the 5 days return journey. :unsure:

I thought of that but it'd be a purely US purchase - our 240 volt supply is rather interesting when used on a US 110 volt appliance. Mebbe I'll have to stick to cola for the 5 days return journey. :unsure:
These things are quite cheap.

No one here wants you to be deprived (or to be sitting next to you as you go through withdrawal) :lol: . Following is a link to Target.com's selection of water heating appliances. We take the Rival version with us when we go camping to service our French press coffee, our hot chocolate, our oatmeal packets, our evening tea, our instant soup (barf) and to heat water for sanitizing. It is pretty fast to heat. We took a converter kit with us to Europe to use ours there. The drawback over there was that we tended to stay in cheap places where the use of a hairdryer would easily blow the circuit breaker for the entire hotel (think of little family hotels).

We sometimes get funny looks when we plug them in at bathrooms but that works, too.

http://www.target.com/gp/search/602-716734...p;ref=sr_bx_1_1

Perhaps you can make a quick stop at a Target (if you come into a city with one) or check out Walmart's selection.

Coffeemakers on sleepers and diners have a red handled spigot that dispenses hot water for tea and decaf (Sanka).

If you are planning on eating in the diner, I don't think you would get too many bad looks if you asked for a cup of hot water while you were dining. Alot of people bring there own brand of hot tea (wether it be for a special diet, or decaf, or just a fav. brand) when they go to restaurants.

Of course if the last post is correct (which I think it is... I'm pretty sure i remember seeing that as well) you will have no problem getting hot water if you are travelling in a sleeper.

If you are planning on eating in the diner, I don't think you would get too many bad looks if you asked for a cup of hot water while you were dining. Alot of people bring there own brand of hot tea (wether it be for a special diet, or decaf, or just a fav. brand) when they go to restaurants.
Of course if the last post is correct (which I think it is... I'm pretty sure i remember seeing that as well) you will have no problem getting hot water if you are travelling in a sleeper.
I prefer hot tea over coffee, and never get strange looks when asking for it in the diner. And yes, I'm sure that the sleepers have a spigot on the side for hot water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back