Hotel in NYC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I stayed at the Hilton at Newark Penn for a weekend and it was a great place, with options for NJT or PATH trains into New York. Rate was about $96 a night - good place for a weekend stopover.
I'll second that and you can even go NEC train/PATH/light rail watching and not even go outside! There is a covered crossover from the hotel to the station where there are numerous eateries. It reminds me of a smaller scale NYP. There are plenty of trains coming and going and the City is about 15 minutes away. You also have a wide choice of how to get into the city. Ironically, Amtrak is extremely expensive so your best bet is NJT to NYP or PATH that takes you to Ground Zero. THe Hilton has a concierge level that puts out a nice buffet in the evenings. They have specials in the $100 range most week-ends. Almost forgot; there's even a Dunkin Donuts in the same building as the hotel. We don't have any where we live so it is a special treat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually stay at the Hotel Pennsylvania in NYC. Its good value for the price and convenient to everything. I have stayed there all the way back to the early 1970s when it was the Statler Hilton. Lots of Europeans stay at the Pennsy when in NYC because it is much newer than some of their hotels. My wife and I stayed at hotel in Paris that was built as a hunting lodge for royalty back in the late 1500s, then it was a convent for many years and now a quaint 90 room hotel near the Place de Opera.

I'm thinking about taking my wife down to NYC for 2 nights at Easter and they are quoting me $309.00 total for Friday and Saturday night which seems pretty good as it's for 2 nights and includes all taxes!!!It's right across from Penn station and I will not have to worry about cabs when we are going to catch our train home which is a plus. My wife is pretty easy going but she will not stay in a dump either! :rolleyes:

Does anybody have comments or has stayed there lately and can tell me about this hotel?

Thanks in advance for any help!!! :p
A coworker stayed there a few times. What he said is the regular rooms aren't great. They have the top two floors designated as the Concierge level, or something like that. Those rooms, apparently, are OK.

You may also want to try PriceLine.com. I have coworkers who do that. You can specify how many stars, and a general area within NYC you want to stay in. PriceLine picks the hotel, you can't cancel once its selected. Coworkers have also done that and generally been happy with it.

Lastly, check out the Marriot World Financial Center (I think now rebranded as the Marriot downtown). I get flyers from them advertising weekend specials.

The Marriot Courtyard in Jersey City, NJ, has a PATH station in the building. It will be comparable to a Hilton Garden Inn. That is definitely a good place to stay if you are OK not staying in Manhattan.

Personally, that area is so compact I wouldn't worry about the proximity to Penn Station. There are enough taxis and mass transit to make it easy enough to get around that I would pick comfort/price over being across the street from Penn. If you have lots of luggage splurge on a cab to your hotel over the subway, but the subway will work just fine for the tourist days.

Mike

I recently stayed at the Hotel Penn on Christmas Day and it was perfectly OK.

A few bits of advice:

1. Keep checking the price of the room between now and the time you travel because it may become cheaper! I had booked a room there in October for my Christmas Day visit and the price dropped TWICE by the time the holiday rolled around. I saved about $60! To keep the cheaper price, I just kept checking online and cancelling and re-booking my room.

2. If you can swing it financially, try to get the Penn Club 5000 room. It costs a few bucks more, but it includes a nice continental breakfast each day, and a lounge with nice couch, chairs and computer access. Plus our room itself was the HUGE by NYC standards. The room even had a refrigerator. I also believe that there is a separate check-in and check-out for this level of service. If you go the Hotel Penn's website, you can see the other room amenties.

3. I also think the Hotel Penn still charges to hold your bags, so if you are planning on doing any sightseeing *after* you check out, but before you catch your train, you may want to inquire about the price for bag holding ahead of time. Amtrak has bag holding too but for a fee, which I can't recall off the top of my head.

I know folks like to stay at the Penn because of the proximity of Amtrak, but I also like it because of the proximity to MACYS! :p

Hope this helps.

-- Jackie

By the way, the offer at the link above is no longer good anyhow and I think that even when it was good, it stopped before Easter weekend.
Just for fun, I just tried book a suite at the Embassy Suites NY for the weekend of March 14/15. The hotel's website still had at least one suite available at their "winter special" price of $150/night.

But I do think you are correct about Easter weekend. The "winter" special ends, regardless, March 31.

I usually stay at the Hotel Pennsylvania in NYC. Its good value for the price and convenient to everything. I have stayed there all the way back to the early 1970s when it was the Statler Hilton. Lots of Europeans stay at the Pennsy when in NYC because it is much newer than some of their hotels. My wife and I stayed at hotel in Paris that was built as a hunting lodge for royalty back in the late 1500s, then it was a convent for many years and now a quaint 90 room hotel near the Place de Opera.

I was puzzled by your reference to it as the Statler Hilton. I wondered if it was not the famous old Pennsylvanai Hotel after all, but something just using that name.

So I checked wikipedia.

I found it was built by the Pennsvlania Railroad in 1919.But from 1959 to 1992 it went through a series of name changes: New York Statler, Staler Hilton, New York Statler again and New York Penta. Finally in 1992 back to the original name as I described in a post yesterday.

Seems it is being considered for possible demolition.

It has kept the same phone number all these years PEnnsyvlania 6-5000.There is an old song named after it.

That would be unfortunate.

It has kept the same phone number all these years PEnnsyvlania 6-5000.There is an old song named after it.
At least up until a few years ago, if you dialed the local number (not the toll free one), you would hear a snippet of that song made famous in part because of the hotel, the Glenn Miller version. Haven't called the number lately, so I'm not sure if they still play the song.

At least up until a few years ago, if you dialed the local number (not the toll free one), you would hear a snippet of that song made famous in part because of the hotel, the Glenn Miller version. Haven't called the number lately, so I'm not sure if they still play the song.
Great music - heard

Great music - heard

Aloha

That was interesting clip. It says original orchestra, but I noticed a woman Sax player Stage left, way to young to be original, and I also think the microphone quality was to goo for original. But the feel of the music was PERFECT

That was interesting clip. It says original orchestra, but I noticed a woman Sax player Stage left, way to young to be original, and I also think the microphone quality was to goo for original. But the feel of the music was PERFECT
I saw a hatchet in an antiques store that said it was the one George used to cut down the cherry tree. But, in the fine print, it said the blade had been replaced 16 times and the handle 12 times, but it was the original!

Referencing the time I was there during the 2004 power outage, I guess you yourself heard the snippet of the music about three times. That was about the number of times you called to update me on the Amtrak situation.

That is interesting enough that I had to give it a try and yes the music still plays when you call.

I have stayed multiple times at the "Holiday inn Express Madison Square Garden" and been very pleased. It is ".1" mile from Penn Station, an easy walk even with luggage. There is also a subway station even closer then that to the hotel. The rooms are extremely small but have nice new furniture and décor, a great free hot breakfast every morning and very accomadating staff. They have let me check in early when my train was on time (shocker I know :) and they have also watched my bags free of charge. I've never paid more than $120 a night for this hotel booking directly through priority club but I do watch for deals! The hotel also offers free wireless, and a free business center with computers.

Like Guest_mike morris_* mentioned,

I would HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest using Priceline.com. I've gotten KILLER deals on priceline. 4 star Westin downtown hotels for $75 for example. Recently I got the Edgewater in Seattle for $75 as well (which usually costs $250-$300).

All you do is select your stars, type in your price, input your date and be willing to accept what system gives you. The best part is YOU select the price. They are always top notch, no junky hotels. You get what star you select. If anyone plans to go this method and doesn't know how it works, I would be glad to be of assistance. It really saves alot of money.

Hope this little info helps about booking.

the problem with priceline and hotwire is you don't know where you will end up. If your #1 priority is to be close to the station (like me!) then this won't work for you. I'm sure you get great deals though.

Well contrary to the belief, you can almost always find out the hotwire hotels through the various bidding forums... Lots of members know which hotwire deal goes to what hotel. But yes your right, priceline is indeed fishing. I just realize that instead of paying $300 for a hotel I'll pay $75+taxi fees if I must. Usually they are less than 2 miles from the stations (in general)

the problem with priceline and hotwire is you don't know where you will end up. If your #1 priority is to be close to the station (like me!) then this won't work for you. I'm sure you get great deals though.

the problem with priceline and hotwire is you don't know where you will end up.
Ain't that the truth! I have gone thru that myself. Never again!

In NYC, Priceline's "four star" hotel could end up being the Y, or a dorm in a hostel. And if it does, Priceline will simply enforce their "tough luck" policy.

Well contrary to the belief, you can almost always find out the hotwire hotels through the various bidding forums... Lots of members know which hotwire deal goes to what hotel.
I don't know about Hotline's forums, but Priceline's forums are carefully controlled.

I had a problem which I would like to call "bait and switch". I bidded for a "4 star" hotel. When I got there, I found that hotel was indeed "4 star" but had a motel-like annex. The "4 star" part of the hotel had large rooms, free breakfast, free WiFi, etc. The "motel-like" part offered none of this (WiFi was $10/day!).

I was given a room in the "motel-like" annex. And Priceline didn't care a bit.

I posted a warning to others in Priceline's forums. My posting lasted almost a week, but was then deleted.

Apparently, Priceline gives hotels absolute, unquestioned, right to have any customer posts deleted. :eek:

Well contrary to the belief, you can almost always find out the hotwire hotels through the various bidding forums... Lots of members know which hotwire deal goes to what hotel.
I don't know about Hotline's forums, but Priceline's forums are carefully controlled.
I've never looked into these, but I thought I've heard several people mention biddingfortravel.com or something like that.

I think there's also a forum for Priceline/Hotwire bids over on FT.

Since I usually just stay in cheap motel rooms or private rooms in hostels (in larger cities), I've never looked into it myself--just heard about it through the grapevine.

Printman, I have stayed at the Pennsy and I personally love it. It's rather threadbare and a tad run down. But it's really nice, and it has that nostalgic place of a really awesome place that is just mediocre now. I'd recommend it. It's cheap and its a historic monument to boot. It is, after all, one of the largest hotels in the world and the biggest in New York City. What's more, its scheduled for demolition on and off again in the near future. Stay in this historic monument to the Pennsy while you still can!

Well that is a bummer! Care to share the name of that hotel my friend?
Four Points by Sheraton.

Now, I am still unsure who's at fault here. Was Four Points upfront with Priceline, and made it clear which rooms it was offering? Or did the Four Points not even tell Priceline?

However, what I learned is that as long as I got any room, even the furnace room in the basement, Princeline would feel it fully met its obligations to me. It is that policy, that I really object to. And why I would never use Priceline again.

I have used both priceline and hotwire. There are websites that people will tell you what they got for each.

In NYC, I used Hotwire last year and got 70 Park Avenue (4*). When I went to "www.betterbidding.com and typed in the amenities, they came back with some hotels that matched. It was an easy taxi ride to Amtrak.

Biddingfortravel.com does the same thing, but sometimes the attitude at that website is alittle surly. (I will probably be banned for that truthful comment)

If you need help with either priceline or hotwire, I use them both for my hotels. I would never pay full price again for a hotel room. I will try to help, if you let me know.

Staci

Hey Walt,

That's really too bad that you got ripped on your last priceline hotel, but honestly I would try it again outside of New York sometime. If you get bit twice, never touch it again. Appears some of us have had some pretty good luck, and it's a KILLER way to save money. Looks like that was just plain bad luck.

I have used both priceline and hotwire. There are websites that people will tell you what they got for each. In NYC, I used Hotwire last year and got 70 Park Avenue (4*). When I went to "www.betterbidding.com and typed in the amenities, they came back with some hotels that matched. It was an easy taxi ride to Amtrak.

Biddingfortravel.com does the same thing, but sometimes the attitude at that website is alittle surly. (I will probably be banned for that truthful comment)

If you need help with either priceline or hotwire, I use them both for my hotels. I would never pay full price again for a hotel room. I will try to help, if you let me know.

Staci
Yes, I'm a member and the site is FULL of resources. You can get a really good idea of what to bid for a hotel (and what hotel you'll get). Just make sure you use their link for bidding or they will be on you like a hawk through your pm box.

We have stayed at the New Yorker Hotel, one block from Penn Station. It's a good hotel and convenient. We once stayed there and attended the Westminister Dog Show at Madison Square Garden and left the following morning on the Cardinal. It isn't the Waldorf, but it was clean and convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back