Hotel in NYC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom, thanks for posting that. I received that e-mail from tripadvisor while reading this thread. I use tripadvisor alot to get a gauge on where I may be staying and how its reviewed. I don't believe every review, but in this case when there's that many people giving it a 1 star rating, then you know you have a dump!

Al

I have had great experiences with both hotwire and priceline. I love, love, love to use www.betterbidding.com.

I once got to my hotwire hotel and was told I had to go to antoher hotel because they were sold out. I called hotwire and was refunded the full amount of the room - so I essentially got a free night stay.

I once got to my hotwire hotel and was told I had to go to antoher hotel because they were sold out.
It didn't bother you, that your pre-paid reservation wasn't guaranteed? I would sure bother me. :angry:

What if all the other local hotels were sold out too?

? I didn't spend time going through it, but Betterbidding.com looks like it's a bidding forum, not a site to book rooms---?????
Its a forum about BIDDING for ROOMS on Priceline and Hotwire.

Reminds me of the song "Combination of the Two"

? I didn't spend time going through it, but Betterbidding.com looks like it's a bidding forum, not a site to book rooms---?????
Its a forum about BIDDING for ROOMS on Priceline and Hotwire.

Reminds me of the song "Combination of the Two"
And using that (and other similar) forums can help you figure out not only which hotel (or small handful of hotels) you will likely land at with a given star rating bid but also what the lowest price you should be able to bid at and still win the bid.

When I was a young child my aunt used to work in the Penn for a lobbying group who had an office there, though then it was called the Statler Hilton.

The Maury show's studio is in the Hotel Pennsylvania as well. I wonder if that's where they put up the guests.

Another childhood memory is when the Holiday Inn at Herald Square was known as the Hotel Martinique at the time the City's most notorious welfare hotel.

I'm thinking about taking my wife down to NYC for 2 nights at Easter and they are quoting me $309.00 total for Friday and Saturday night which seems pretty good as it's for 2 nights and includes all taxes!!!It's right across from Penn station and I will not have to worry about cabs when we are going to catch our train home which is a plus. My wife is pretty easy going but she will not stay in a dump either! :rolleyes:

Does anybody have comments or has stayed there lately and can tell me about this hotel?

Thanks in advance for any help!!! :p

Hi there!!!

Well I was at the Niagara Falls Amtrak station today to pick up our train tickets for our trip from NFL's to NYP! :) The price was $306 return with BC each way for us, not bad! We will be taking #280 down on April 10/09 and returning on #281 on April 12/09. Yippy!!! ;)

Thanks to everybody who gave me suggestions on hotels in the New York/New Jersey area to stay. I have settled on the HILTON AT PENN STATION NEWARK as my wife was not to impressed with the reviews of the Hotel Pennsylvania!!! We have a AAA price of $119.00 a night for each night plus $33.32 tax = $271.32 Total price. Not bad.

We could have got a price of $101.91 a night plus taxes($28.53 for 2 nights)which would have = $232.53 but it was non refundable and I did not want to take a chance of something causing us to cancel at the last minute! :angry:

I have a couple of more questions about our trip?

I saw the Maple Leaf at the station while picking up my tickets and the Cafe car was the last car on the train and i guess the BC is at the back of the car? I would love being able to look the back of the train on our way to NYC. Train #288 had the same consist of 4 amfleets and cafe car on the rear. Is this the normal consist?

When we are catching NJT over to our Newark Station to our hotel what will be our chances of riding in there new Bi-level cars? We will be going back and forth to NYP station a least 5 times during our visit. This will be a bonus for me to! :)

My last question is are there any good places to eat around the Newark/Hilton hotel? Fast food or diners?

Oh yes I almost forgot to mention that we our supposed to hopefully get a room with a veiw of the NE Corridor. Has anybody had one of these rooms before? Any room numbers that i can request?

I will keep verybody up to date about our trip. THANKS FOR THE HELP! :)

When I was on the Leaf two summers ago, the Club-dinette car was behind the engine. So YMMV.

Chances are fair that at least one of your trips will end up on a multi-level NJT car.

There's some fast food right in Newark Penn, including pizza and a McDonalds. The Hilton itself has a resturant and there are a few others in the neighborhood. All in all I'd say that the Hilton is a decent choice. And if you're in the Hilton Honors program, you can also earn 500 AGR points.

Ive stayed there before, but can't recall what rooms might be good for seeing the corridor. I can tell you that you want a room on the western/southern side of the hotel. The northside you can't see too much IIRC.

I'm thinking about taking my wife down to NYC for 2 nights at Easter and they are quoting me $309.00 total for Friday and Saturday night which seems pretty good as it's for 2 nights and includes all taxes!!!It's right across from Penn station and I will not have to worry about cabs when we are going to catch our train home which is a plus. My wife is pretty easy going but she will not stay in a dump either! :rolleyes:

Does anybody have comments or has stayed there lately and can tell me about this hotel?

Hi there!!!

Well I was at the Niagara Falls Amtrak station today to pick up our train tickets for our trip from NFL's to NYP! :) The price was $306 return with BC each way for us, not bad! We will be taking #280 down on April 10/09 and returning on #281 on April 12/09. Yippy!!! ;)

Thanks to everybody who gave me suggestions on hotels in the New York/New Jersey area to stay. I have settled on the HILTON AT PENN STATION NEWARK as my wife was not to impressed with the reviews of the Hotel Pennsylvania!!! We have a AAA price of $119.00 a night for each night plus $33.32 tax = $271.32 Total price. Not bad.

We could have got a price of $101.91 a night plus taxes($28.53 for 2 nights)which would have = $232.53 but it was non refundable and I did not want to take a chance of something causing us to cancel at the last minute! :angry:

I saw the Maple Leaf at the station while picking up my tickets and the Cafe car was the last car on the train and i guess the BC is at the back of the car? I would love being able to look the back of the train on our way to NYC. Train #288 had the same consist of 4 amfleets and cafe car on the rear. Is this the normal consist?

When we are catching NJT over to our Newark Station to our hotel what will be our chances of riding in there new Bi-level cars? We will be going back and forth to NYP station a least 5 times during our visit. This will be a bonus for me to! :)

My last question is are there any good places to eat around the Newark/Hilton hotel? Fast food or diners?

Oh yes I almost forgot to mention that we our supposed to hopefully get a room with a veiw of the NE Corridor. Has anybody had one of these rooms before? Any room numbers that i can request?

I will keep verybody up to date about our trip. THANKS FOR THE HELP! :)
I will be very interested in your experience. We will be staying at the Hampton Inn (as of right now) which is a short shuttle ride from Newark Penn. We will also be using NJT for back and forth to NYC. You might also look into using PATH, it goes to a different location in NYC but is cheaper, IIRC.

Good catch, and I think you'll be quite satisfied with this hotel. Somewhere I have a pic taken from our 4th level room that overlooks the station quite nicely, and I'll post it when I find it!

Chances are very strong that you'll get a bilevel. We got them on weekends on the NEC line.

I'm sure you'll have a good time, as there is just no place like New York to visit.

I'm sure you'll have a good time, as there is just no place like New York to visit.
OK, get the rotten tomatoes ready - I'm going to New York at the end of this month - by bus!!! :eek: I already know I'll hate the bus ride, but the group tour is such a good price I couldn't pass it up. When I get back I'm hoping you'll all forgive me for taking a bus and you'll allow me to complain about how uncomfortable it is.

OK, get the rotten tomatoes ready - I'm going to New York at the end of this month - by bus!!! :eek: I already know I'll hate the bus ride, but the group tour is such a good price I couldn't pass it up. When I get back I'm hoping you'll all forgive me for taking a bus and you'll allow me to complain about how uncomfortable it is.

Well, you have my permission. I have taken the bus several times through the years.I enjoy buses and planes both, in themselves I am just not entranced by them.

I once got to my hotwire hotel and was told I had to go to antoher hotel because they were sold out.
It didn't bother you, that your pre-paid reservation wasn't guaranteed? I would sure bother me. :angry:

What if all the other local hotels were sold out too?

It would surely bother me if I went to check in, and found that my fully pre-paid room would not be available because the hotel was sold-out. :angry:

Hotwire and Priceline make it so "one way" in that you can't cancel, but then they are allowed to not deliver on the room?

I mean, once you take my money (bill my credit card), the room is mine! :angry:

You can always hope the bus breaks down and you get a "trainstitution." :p :p :p :p

Hi there!!!

I will keep verybody up to date about our trip. THANKS FOR THE HELP! :}
I have another question if anybody can answer it for me? :) I was wondering what tracks/platforms are used for the Lakeshore Ltd. and Empire Service? I know there is specific ones that connect to the tunnel that is used for this service? I know it was mentioned somewhere but i'm not sure where? I just want to be able to get a head start on the crowds and get to pick our seats in BC ( on the left side to see the Hudson River) before it gets to full as this train most likely going to be sold! Thank again for the help! I may even try and get a RED CAP to get us abord early!? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have another question if anybody can answer it for me? :) I was wondering what tracks/platforms are used for the Lakeshore Ltd. and Empire Service? I know there is specific ones that connect to the tunnel that is used for this service? I know it was mentioned somewhere but i'm not sure where? I just want to be able to get a head start on the crowds and get to pick our seats in BC ( on the left side to see the Hudson River) before it gets to full as this train most likely going to be sold! Thank again for the help! I may even try and get a RED CAP to get us abord early!? :rolleyes:
Those trains will typically leave from tracks 6, 7, or 8, but on occasion do use track 5.

Those are the only tracks that those trains can leave from.

Those trains will typically leave from tracks 6, 7, or 8, but on occasion do use track 5.

Those are the only tracks that those trains can leave from.
Thanks a lot Alan!!! That makes one less thing to worry about for the trip! :)

I just want to be able to get a head start on the crowds and get to pick our seats in BC ( on the left side to see the Hudson River) before it gets to full as this train most likely going to be sold!
From my experiences in NYP, there are Amtrak folks at the bottom of the stairs which direct everyone in one line to the train. If you are a bit forceful, and have your BC tickets in hand to wave in their face, they will let you leave the herd (ah... crowd), and walk directly to the BC cars.

I assume it's the Hotel Pennsylvania which has some pretty mixed reviews. But the price is extraordinary for downtown NYC so go for it!

Incidentally, we are booked into the Hotel Penn in March and our rooms are much, much more expensive. But as we are on the Cardinal at 06:45 it's raeally the only option.
WNBC-New York just did a travel piece on places to avoid in NYC and the Hotel Pennsylvania was right on top of the list, with a report they just settled a lawsuit over the property being infested with bed bugs. Next on the list was the Carter, which they said was voted the filthiest hotel in the country! Of course, management at both houses refused to comment.

Just layed off from my job o Friday! Every thing has been cancelled! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Does anybody know of a cheap hotel in Boston near South Station as i'm working on something else to do as Amtrak will charge me a 10% fee to cancell my tickets! (no way) Thank s for the info!

Sorry to hear you were laid off.

I became somewhat obssessed with trying to find a reasonable hotel in Boston for the AU Gathering coming up in October and have a list of about 50 hotels that I'm watching the prices on.

Boston hotel prices are quite high. Depending on what you want, you could try Hostelling International on Hemenway.

Carruth House Bed & Breakfast is about $115. Comfort Inn on Morrissey $120. Milner $129.

There are others in that price range. Some are further out, but close to a T or have a shuttle to the T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back