Hotels near Rail Transit and Commuter Rail

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
Post Covid, my previous use of Hostel type budget accommodation seems less wise. I am planning another jaunt stateside this autumn, and wondering if folk can recommend a cheap (Motel 6, etc) hotel in walking distance to a blue line CTA station? I won't have a US cellphone, so Uber, etc, won't be an option?
(I always feel embarrassed getting a taxi for a very short ride, it is always the last mile or two that complicates train travel) !

Ed.

Good to hear from you again Ed. :)

Post Covid, my previous use of Hostel type budget accommodation seems less wise.
Is staying at a hostel more risky than a long haul flight or taking a commuter train?

I am planning another jaunt stateside this autumn, and wondering if folk can recommend a cheap (Motel 6, etc) hotel in walking distance to a blue line CTA station?
I'd schlep myself to an airport hotel before I'd stay at another M6, but maybe that's just me. 😵‍💫

I won't have a US cellphone, so Uber, etc, won't be an option?
Supposedly you can book Lyft (and possibly Uber) without a phone so long as you have access to the web (see below). 💻

https://www.alphr.com/use-lyft-without-phone/
I always feel embarrassed getting a taxi for a very short ride, it is always the last mile or two that complicates train travel
Taxi prices are already leveraged to front load short rides so there is no reason to feel embarrassed. 🚕

I'd schlep myself to an airport hotel before I'd stay at another M6, but maybe that's just me. 😵‍💫
^This is good advice and something I have done when not having points for a downtown hotel. Cash rates in downtown Chicago tend to be expensive at the best of times, so your month of travel (e.g. September vs. November for example) will be a contributing factor.

Hi Ed—great to hear from you again as others have said😊! Hope everything is going well for you and that you have been having lots of good travel adventures.

Taking short taxi rides is fine here and not unusual. If you’re going to a hotel or train station in a major city like Chicago, the driver will likely be able to get another fare immediately after dropping you off, so you are not causing him any hardship.

Any chance of you getting to the Gathering in Philadelphia? Or will you be back home by then?

Thanks for the above replies. I guess my preference for a hotel/motel room over a hostel is a knee jerk reaction, but sharing hostel rooms so soon after the Covid issues seems an increased risk?
I have indeed been enjoying other non Amtrak travel adventures, including India again last year. and Turkey and Rhodes this year.
Philadelphia is somewhere new for me, I have only just begun to plan my trip to America, so it's all flexible at present. :)

1687820802085.pngIt's out a few miles, and it's on the green line. It would be a good walk, but you'd be walking along Old Rte 66.

I would check it out thoroughly on the web. See if you can find reviews.

Last edited:
Decent restaurants at both hotels. Get a room on parking lot side at holiday inn on Harrison ave. otherwise you Get to stay up all night with motorcycle traffic buzzing below. Great Walgreens by the crowne Plaza on Madison. The HI Harris hostel on Ida B Wells drive has an excellent laundry facilities with in a hour your clothes are done. Not exactly close but a 5 dollar cab ride. Chicago and it's one way streets UGH.
At PDX I stay at Hampton inn pearl district it's minutes away from PDX. Hilton garden inn at EMY. Embassy suites or best Western at SEA odd the Embassy suites has restaurant called Zephyr out of place in the Amtrak network.
At the moment? The Holiday Inn right by there's has attractive rates for summer. Thinking of trying them out. Less than Crowne Plaza which is also close.

Many people staying in Chicago book at hotels just off the Cumberland Blue Line stop or the ones easily accessible from the Rosemont stop. I talked to some Argentinians who came for the blues fest a couple weeks ago that showed me their motel 6 cards for wherever out that way. It's about a 40 minute ride or so to downtown.

View attachment 32997It's out a few miles, and it's on the green line. It would be a good walk, but you'd be walking along Old Rte 66.

I would check it out thoroughly on the web. See if you can find reviews.

Just so there’s no confusion, the line on the map above, while colored green, is the Metra BNSF commuter line, NOT the CTA Green Line. Headways on that route, particularly off-peak, are going to be on the order of once per hour or so.

Thanks for the above replies. I guess my preference for a hotel/motel room over a hostel is a knee jerk reaction, but sharing hostel rooms so soon after the Covid issues seems an increased risk?
I have indeed been enjoying other non Amtrak travel adventures, including India again last year. and Turkey and Rhodes this year.
Philadelphia is somewhere new for me, I have only just begun to plan my trip to America, so it's all flexible at present. :)

Downtown Chicago is choc-a-bloc with hotels of all descriptions and price classes, and you're neve far from a CTA station.

Booking.com has a map view that also shows prices so you can zoom into the rough area / station that you are interested in and work from there.

The same applies to Philadelphia. Transportation-wise I guess Philadelphia has more to offer than Chicago with its eclectic mix of all the different types of transportation (although unfortunately AFAIK the number 15 streetcar with its iconic PCC cars is presently not operating)

I guess in terms of general cultural non railfan stuff, Chicago has more to offer with its numerous world-class museums etc.

Last edited:
Just so there’s no confusion, the line on the map above, while colored green, is the Metra BNSF commuter line, NOT the CTA Green Line. Headways on that route, particularly off-peak, are going to be on the order of once per hour or so.
Also, the area around Cicero BNSF station is supremely unwalkable. Look at it on Google Maps. Even though it's the first suburban stop on the line, Cicero is not like stops west of there like Berwyn or Riverside that are in traditional commuter-suburb walkable downtowns.

One thing to note, and I'm being persnickety, the CTA isn't considered commuter rail but rapid transit (which may be why you're getting suggestions for Metra adjacent hotels...).

It looks like there are some 'hotel-like' hostels in Chicago (I don't really look at hotels since I'm local) but there are plenty of hotels walking distance, more or less, from Union Station and the CTA lines; Hostels in Chicago - Top Rated Hostels 2023 - Hostelworld

Also, consider airbnb. A lot of people offer residences near transit.

One additional thought....are you considering blue line accessibility, specifically, due to its closeness to Union Station? (Which is the common assumption about what to do by many on this site.) If so, I think that's a mistake. Numerous bus lines are available right across the street from Union Station which are easier to board and will get you all over downtown (including to a blue line station with an elevator and other L line stops, a few blocks east.) If you're looking to stay downtown, bus considerations will expand your options exponentially. The 151, alone, will even take you up Dearborn, State, Washington, and Michigan Ave. The 7 will take you to the Congress Hotel and near the International Hostel.

Also, the area around Cicero BNSF station is supremely unwalkable. Look at it on Google Maps. Even though it's the first suburban stop on the line, Cicero is not like stops west of there like Berwyn or Riverside that are in traditional commuter-suburb walkable downtowns.
I think you're right. It might be more of a light industrial area. I don't know much about the Cindy Lyn either.
The farther out from downtown the lower the prices.

The US public health emergency is officially over, and I haven't experienced any place that still requires the typical stuff from the past few years such as masking or checks on vaccination status. I suppose that might be your concern that there aren't such restrictions any more and it might create risks that you don't wish to take.

I didn't worry about sharing a hostel room, but then I generally kept my distance and if I chose to wear a mask there was nobody ridiculing me for it. But then again I feel generally healthy and have gotten 4 boosters in the past two years including the latest Moderna bivalent booster.

But it's up to you. You're likely to be checking in at hotels/motels where you'll encounter unmasked employees. I'm at the point where I no longer worry about these things even if I occasionally choose to wear a mask.

Great to see you back on AU Eddie!😊

And as for the Hostel Situation in Chicago, the HI on Congress has Private Rooms with Bath for Less than $100 a Night,( I've stayed in them several times) but as others said, I wouldn't worry about sharing a Room there in the Dorms, which as you know, are very reasonable for Chicago!

Seeing you in Philly @ the Gathering would be Great! It's Bern too Long a Time since the Bay Area Gathering! Jim

If one did want to stay along the Green Line, the place I would recommend is the Carleton in Oak Park, just a block away from the Harlem stop and amisdt lots of restaurants and shops, two nice parks (one with an historic mansion that hosts tours and arts programs), near the Frank Lloyd Wright historic district.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. My preferred choice of a place walkable from a blue line CTA station was based on arriving at ORD, after a long flight, and seeking a nearby (cheapish) hotel. Next few days, needing an onward CTA link to downtown for Chicago sightseeing, etc.
I like quirky motels, etc, so the Cyndi Lyn looked interesting... (Not too sure about their option of renting rooms for 8 hours though?) :D:D
I do like Oak Park, I have visited the area before, to see the Frank Lloyd Wright buildings.
I am not overly concerned about covid issues, but as with all of life, one needs to weigh up perceived risks. I expect I will be using the HI Hostels again, but noticed that some out of town motels offer a room of one's own for similar prices to Chicago Hostel shared rooms. Just a question of identifying which bargain basement motels have the easiest public transport connections.
Although I have stayed at Michigan Mom's suggested Clinton Holiday Inn previously, the see-saw of "foreign exchange" has swung away from favouring Brit's and we now get a much poorer exchange rate than before, so it emphasises my need for budget travel, as regular users of AU will know of me! :)
Cheers Jim, it was a great visit for me to travel by QM2, spend 10 weeks stateside, be shown around by "greatcats", and meet up will you all in Emeryville for the Gathering! :cool:

If one did want to stay along the Green Line, the place I would recommend is the Carleton in Oak Park, just a block away from the Harlem stop and amisdt lots of restaurants and shops, two nice parks (one with an historic mansion that hosts tours and arts programs), near the Frank Lloyd Wright historic district.
Stayed there once and second the recommendation. It's been a few years but it was reasonable, convenient and clean and comfortable, if slightly dated. Very nice area, indeed.

I am not overly concerned about covid issues, but as with all of life, one needs to weigh up perceived risks. I expect I will be using the HI Hostels again, but noticed that some out of town motels offer a room of one's own for similar prices to Chicago Hostel shared rooms. Just a question of identifying which bargain basement motels have the easiest public transport connections.

I've stayed in several of their hostels, which I mentioned in a PM. But it's interesting that they currently required an active membership for US stays or charge $3 per day otherwise. I paid my $18 for the membership but at this point I'm not sure I'm going back before that membership expires. I only managed to stay 2 days, but I suppose it goes to a good cause.

I did stay at the HI Los Angeles Santa Monica Hostel just after Christmas and it was very nice. It was remodeled specifically as a hostel and it was probably the nicest hostel I've ever stayed at. My room was recently painted and the bathrooms looked as if they were remodeled recently. The breakfast areas looked pretty new. My criticism was their zero alcohol policy, which seems odd compared to most hostels (including one where they actually had a nighttime social with liquor and beer served). They showed me rules that said a guest could be asked to leave (without a refund) if found with alcohol in the room or common areas, even if not consumed on premises. I had to figure out what to do with my 50 ml bottle of Glenlivet 18, which was the only alcohol I had with me when I checked in. They theoretically could have held onto it at the front desk.

It was just about a block away from the LA Metro Santa Monica (yellow line) station and when I got to LA Union Station it took less than an hour to get there.

Back