How difficult are the stairs on superliners

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really want to take the SWC when I head to SEA next month, I am going by coach as usual, but I am not able to purchase my rail pass until the day I leave. The problem with this is that there is only one lower level seat left. Does anyone know how wide the stairs are and if there are handles on both sides of the stairs in coach? I think as long as I can leave my rolling bag downstairs and only have to take my small bag upstairs, that I can do the stairs as long as there are handles on both sides.

I walk with a cane, but don't use it for stairs. Any help is appreciated. The SWC is the only western train I have not taken, and really want to include it on this trip. I leave on July 3rd for Eugene, OR.

Hi June,

There is a rail on the stairs only on one side (the left I believe as you go up). They are a bit steep and narrow (maybe 2 feet wide), but I've seen overweight and elderly make it up and down slowly. I think you'll be fine if you take it slowly. You'd only have to go downstairs to use the restroom. Is it a long trip?

Andy

Hi June,
There is a rail on the stairs only on one side (the left I believe as you go up). They are a bit steep and narrow (maybe 2 feet wide), but I've seen overweight and elderly make it up and down slowly. I think you'll be fine if you take it slowly. You'd only have to go downstairs to use the restroom. Is it a long trip?

Andy
Yes, going end to end, CHI to LAX. I think I am going to try it. But I really hope the one seat that is left downstairs is still there that morning. I will be up early to try.

June,

Somedays my legs work, sometimes they don't. The stairs are narrow enough that I can lean into the wall to steady myself as I pull on the handrail to help myself up the steps.

I would think you would be ok using the same method if "steadyness" is your concern.

Have a great trip

June,
Somedays my legs work, sometimes they don't. The stairs are narrow enough that I can lean into the wall to steady myself as I pull on the handrail to help myself up the steps.

I would think you would be ok using the same method if "steadyness" is your concern.

Have a great trip
Thanks, that helps a lot. I feel as long as I can leave my suitcase downstairs I should be fine. I can throw the shoulder bag up the stairs ahead of me if need be.

I wouldn't worry too much. If you can't make it up the stairs, someone that is able to take the stairs will probably get moved up the stairs.

If you need help getting a bag up the stairs, I'm sure that someone will help.

The stairs are a little steep, so they were tough when I was very overweight and out of shape with knee issues. They were narrow enough that I could hold onto the rail with one hand and press my other hand against the wall for more stability.

I've been in older Superliner cars that had rails on both sides and newer cars that had rails on one side.

Here are some pictures:

tumblr_lvduadwcmA1r3u1x6o1_500.jpg

574490_10100699950949784_957039984_n.jpg

I have a bad knee, I make it up the steps and really lean on the handrail and walls. I take it slow and one step at a time. Frankly, I have a fear of falling anywhere as my knee can give way without warning. To be honest, I have a bigger fear of the yellow step up into the train car. But, I make that as well. If you can score a seat on the Lower Level, go for it. remember, you do need to go up for the food service and observation car. Have a great trip!

I have a balance disability and use a cane or walking stick most of the time on trains, but can easily use the stairs. Just take it slow and easy. If you need help with bags, etc..., I'm certain someone will help you. (Even other passengers.) And as said, if by chance there is no lower level seats and you can't climb the stairs, I'm almost certain (99.999999999%) that someone from the lower level will move to the upper level. (I myself have done so.)

One thing I find ironic is that the stairs in coach only have a handrail on one side, yet in a sleeping car it's on both sides. I've only found 1 coach car (or maybe 2) that have handrails on both sides.

And yes, the luggage rack on the lower level is available to all.

I really want to take the SWC when I head to SEA next month ...
Irrespective of the width of the steps on the Superliners, you will have a hard time getting to or from SEA on the SWC. Only the EB and CS serve SEA (along with the Cascades, of course).

Irrespective of the width of the steps on the Superliners, you will have a hard time getting to or from SEA on the SWC. Only the EB and CS serve SEA (along with the Cascades, of course).
She didn't say she was taking the SWC to SEA. She said she was heading to SEA and wanted to take the SWC has part of her trip (like maybe CHI - LA - SEA.

My wife, who has mobility problems and walks with a cane, is able to negotiate the stairs. However, she can't walk to the diner if it is more than several cars away (like from the 2130/2230 sleeper on the Sunset Limited)

She didn't say she was taking the SWC to SEA. She said she was heading to SEA and wanted to take the SWC has part of her trip (like maybe CHI - LA - SEA.
That's a possible inference, but she specifically said she wanted to take the SWC when she heads to SEA. Any questions about Superliner equipment would be just as relevant if she took the EB or CS to or from SEA. Unless she's planning to fly or take a bus between SEA and L.A. or somewhere else along the SWC route, it's hard to imagine her taking a train trip to or from SEA that doesn't involve other trains.

I'm a decently ok shape 31 year old and sometimes the stairs can be a bit tricky even for me, if I'm carrying a suitcase or something. They're rather steep. I find descent to be a "careful, careful" moment, whereas ascent I'm like a mountain goat going up.

That's a possible inference, but she specifically said she wanted to take the SWC when she heads to SEA. Any questions about Superliner equipment would be just as relevant if she took the EB or CS to or from SEA. Unless she's planning to fly or take a bus between SEA and L.A. or somewhere else along the SWC route, it's hard to imagine her taking a train trip to or from SEA that doesn't involve other trains.
But the SWC is the only train she's concerned about the stairs because there is only one coach seat left on the lower level. The other trains probably have plenty of lower level seats to not worry her about getting one.

Last edited by a moderator:
June,

Please know that what the Amtrak site shows as Lower Level seats are the one's sold to anyone. Amtrak also holds a bunch of lower level seats out of that inventory for those who have mobility issues or a disability. So there is a possibility that there are more LL seats available than what you are seeing.

You might want to try a phone call to Amtrak to see what an agent can tell you about both categories of LL seats, the general ones and the disability ones. I can't promise either, but perhaps you might get the agent to make an exception and put the seat on hold for you without payment.

Those of us who enjoy following June's posts know that she likes to use rail passes to take trips involving several trains. Her post may have been a little confusing for anyone who isn't familiar with her travel habits, though.

She'll know how to get to SEA!

June, hope you get your lower level seat. If not, let the attendant know you may need help with the stairs. Without exception, Amtrak personnel always went over and above to help my mobility-limited husband when needed.

Yes, I agree that the stairs are tricky (steep) and I am fairly mobile in my 60's. Just a few weeks ago we came east on the SWC and both boarding and unboarding we helped two younger, fitter passengers with their luggage. They had 2 suitcases and a shoulder bag each and it's a snug fit. Someone will help you if you need it. I hope you can sit upstairs as ;) I think it's a nicer ride there and the sightseer car is great to stretch out and relax on a long trip. Have fun!

Going down the stairs, i have seen people sit their down from step to step. Might want to where your jeans on that trip

And just my opinion, I think the CZ is nicer scenery. But you may have taken that already.

I have mobility issues and those stairs are my nemesis which is why I have to stay in a sleeper. The sleepers are the only ones with a bathroom in the upper level so we stay in the upper level. Once I get up those stairs when we board, I only have to go down the stairs to shower or to disembark. I have done the sit and drop to get down. I am excited that I have a new mobility vest which actually helps me go up and down stairs. We did a test run on the Coast Starlight and it was so exciting to see the Cafe Car! Those stairs are still tough though.

I said I wanted to take the SWC when I head to SEA, I already know that I have to take the CS from LAX to get there, picking on what I say is just uncalled for.

Those of us who enjoy following June's posts know that she likes to use rail passes to take trips involving several trains. Her post may have been a little confusing for anyone who isn't familiar with her travel habits, though.She'll know how to get to SEA!

June, hope you get your lower level seat. If not, let the attendant know you may need help with the stairs. Without exception, Amtrak personnel always went over and above to help my mobility-limited husband when needed.
Thanks, I think I am over-worrying this issue. I know that once I get upstairs if I have to sit upstairs, I only have to come down for bathroom use. I will make sure I get in-seat service so I don't have to do the stairs to the cafe or walk to the diner car if I can't.

Yes, I agree that the stairs are tricky (steep) and I am fairly mobile in my 60's. Just a few weeks ago we came east on the SWC and both boarding and unboarding we helped two younger, fitter passengers with their luggage. They had 2 suitcases and a shoulder bag each and it's a snug fit. Someone will help you if you need it. I hope you can sit upstairs as ;) I think it's a nicer ride there and the sightseer car is great to stretch out and relax on a long trip. Have fun!
Going down the stairs, i have seen people sit their down from step to step. Might want to where your jeans on that trip

And just my opinion, I think the CZ is nicer scenery. But you may have taken that already.
Thanks, I have taken the CZ westbound already but am taking it eastbound on the return trip home. I was going to take the EB, but I took the EB westbound and prefer the scenery on the CZ for this trip back home.

While your preference is for the lower level, I believe that the upper level is far more popular as the view of the scenery is better. If you are booked on the upper level, you can ask the conductor to issue a call for a passenger to exchange a lower seat for an upper. As the traveler has said its a 99% shot that someone will bite at the opportunity. I base my statement that top level seating is much preferred to lower because on NJT (New Jersey Transit) the top level ALWAYS fills up first. Sometimes you board during off hours and the top is full and the lower level near empty. If you must go upstairs I am certain that the conductor would give you a helping hand. I doubt if there are too many people that would be so callous not to offer a hand to a person who is having trouble making the stairs. Good luck and have fun on the trip.

June, I have found that most people are very patient and helpful when behind someone who has trouble with the stairs. Those stairs are so steep that even people without mobility issues are careful on them and know better than to rush someone who is taking them slowly. I hope you enjoy your upper level seat. :)

I actually think with all your comments, that I will try the upstairs for this trip and be able to go to the observation car if I want to. I still think I will keep the lower level on the other trains, just in case, but finding out if I can do it upstairs is a good thing on the first superliner of the trip so if it is a bad thing, I have the CS to recoop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back