How long for mailed tickets?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NomDePlume

Train Attendant
Bought our tickets online back in January, supposed to get them by mail. I got an email but haven't gotten the actual tickets yet. Since we're leaving from an unmanned and no kiosk station I'm wondering how long it takes to get our tickets by mail?

I just got my ticket booked on 2/6. I think it typically takes 4-8 days in lower 48 states. In your case, please call Amtrak.

A lot depends on when you're going to travel too. Amtrak gives priority to trips on the near horizon and can take longer to print tickets for several months down the road.

I would wait another month or two before calling!

A trip booked in January for January or February gets more priority for printing and mailing than a trip in 5 months. Your tickets may not be mailed until April!

Oh I didn't expect that, I figured they got printed as they were ordered. Thanks!
If you are going to be anywhere near a manned or machine-equipped station between now and your trip, you might be better off canceling the mailing and just stop at that station to get your tickets. Where you get your ticket has no relationship to where you are going to or departing from. So if you happen to be in Dallas, TX and have a trip from Slidell, LA to Atlanta planned, you can pick up the tix at the Dallas station.

It used to be you got them in the order amtrak received them. But they must have just recently changed that cause I used to get tickets for october a couple weeks after I placed the order. Now I got 2 trips for may and so far only the AGR ticket has come in the mail which is the inbound ticket for NTD but still waiting on the 2 tickets for may 6th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our trip is in July, and I ordred it last Wed, and they came in the mail yesterday. that was 5 days.

Last year, it came in about 8 days.. (ordered in Feb for our July trip)

looking up the revvy for may 5th the website shows that even though the tickets are supposed to be sent by US mail it shows I can cancel or modify the trip so I guess the tickets for may 5th and 7th have not been printed yet. the one ticket for may 12th going to Chicago I received since that was a AGR reward redemption the return ticket is a QT ticket that i need to print. so still waiting for the may 5th and 7th tickets and the October tickets. amtrak used to ship them out as soon as they received them now they take there time.

Our trip is in July, and I ordred it last Wed, and they came in the mail yesterday. that was 5 days.

And I still have no tickets for our June trip. This makes me sad.

me_little_me, there's not a chance in Hades that I'll be anywhere near a manned station until the train actually gets me there.

And I still have no tickets for our June trip. This makes me sad.

me_little_me, there's not a chance in Hades that I'll be anywhere near a manned station until the train actually gets me there.
I'd call them on Monday and get them sent so you got it.

I had to change a reservation from darkest Redneckistan on short notice. Although the local station was technically manned, the station agent was out sick. No option to pick up the tickets then, so they had to mailed. They arrived within two days which made me feel a lot better. Amtrak is a VERY 20th century organization, so get on the phone and find out what is up.

I'll start with their "Contact Us" form online, I don't have more cell phone minutes for a few more days. If they can't help me that way then by the time I know I'll have more minutes and can call. I wonder if it's because the rental car glitched on me that it delayed maybe? IDK, but thanks!

That kind of inconsistency irks me. I could understand someone ordering theirs later getting them sooner if their trip was sooner, but that's not the case. It just seems to me that (logically speaking) if I ordered in Jan for a June trip, and he ordered in Feb for a July trip, that I would have my tickets in hand if he already does. Perhaps my logic is off.

That just happened to me as well. Ordered tickets online on Feb 5 for a trip in June. I called after two weeks as in the past they have always come fairly quickly.. Just got them on Saturday. Hooray!

I'll start with their "Contact Us" form online, I don't have more cell phone minutes for a few more days. If they can't help me that way then by the time I know I'll have more minutes and can call. I wonder if it's because the rental car glitched on me that it delayed maybe? IDK, but thanks!
If it helps, you can make free calls through Google Voiceor Skype. Google Voice lets you call any US/Canada number for free and Skype lets you call free to any toll free number.

still no tickets for the may 5th trip. I'll wait till 1 week before I leave and call.
I wouldn't wait quite that long. I'd say around April 15th or so if you haven't seen anything you should call up Amtrak. The agent can then look to see if the tickets have been printed, and on what date. If they haven't, the agent can try to figure out what's going on. If they have, then depending on just how long before you call will determine what to do.

My brother just called regarding reservations made 6 weeks ago, for travel next month. The agent told him the computer, sometimes, fails to kick out a notification to Amtrak to print and mail tickets.So the agent was processing and mailing the tickets...we shall see. My point being, I wouldn't wait...call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back