How many miles have the baggage cars logged?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meat Puppet

Lead Service Attendant
Anyone every figure out how many miles the average heritage baggage car has on it?

I come out to about 16 million miles for the ones built in 1950.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would suspect that's on the upper limit side, ie, 45mph avg * 20 hrs a day * 365 days * 50 years = 16.4m ... but it there are 8 sets of cars for 7 days trains, then one subtracts 14% (assuming they're evenly rotated); if there are days/weeks in the shop beyond that, then one subtracts more etc.

Anyone every figure out how many miles the average heritage baggage car has on it?
I come out to about 16 million miles for the ones built in 1950.
The Heritage baggage cars are not running every day of every year. There are service inspections, overhauls, on standby, and so on. Version 3.1 of the Fleet Strategy Plan lists 5 million miles as the average mileage for the Heritage equipment, lumping the baggage and diner cars together. However, this is the average "Mileage since inception of Amtrak data systems in 1970's; estimates not available for prior period." to quote the report. So the baggage cars could have had several million miles on them before they were transferred to Amtrak.

You need some idea of which preAmtrak trains the car ran on. That is, how many miles did such train run and for how many years. And the timetables from those years are no help as to which specific baggage cars actually ran on which train.

The Park cars from Canada would be an example of something slightly easier to identify and thus to estimate.

I would think that the baggage cars would spend more time in service than diner's due to much simpler (and shorter) maintenance requirements. On the other hand, while the small fleet of diner's would necessitate utilizing each of them after maintenance, an individual baggage car could probably be in storage for a long period...

I would think that the baggage cars would spend more time in service than diner's due to much simpler (and shorter) maintenance requirements. On the other hand, while the small fleet of diner's would necessitate utilizing each of them after maintenance, an individual baggage car could probably be in storage for a long period...
I was thinking along the same lines: there isn't really much on a baggage car to maintain (assuming the trucks aren't counted as part of the car... likewise assuming they're probably the major object of maintenance... but they can be swapped in and out and worked on separately, but the car (body) can stay in use).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back