How many of each train are there?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IowaGirl

Train Attendant
I was wondering how many trains make up the California Zephyr.

I see on the route map that there are always 2 of #5 and 2 of #6.

Now I can see that there is a 3rd #5 that is overdue. Is there 3 of each train?

I hope this makes some kind of sense - if I can clarify in any way - let me know.

I was wondering how many trains make up the California Zephyr.

I see on the route map that there are always 2 of #5 and 2 of #6.

Now I can see that there is a 3rd #5 that is overdue. Is there 3 of each train?

I hope this makes some kind of sense - if I can clarify in any way - let me know.
Your question does make sense. The question is how many consists are assigned to each train, or how many consists have to be assigned to cover the service. For the Coast Starlight 11/14, there are 4. For the Southwest Chief, there are 5. CZ has 6, since there has to be an overnight turnaround at both CHI and EMY. If delays stack up so there cannot be a timely turn, then that terminal either has to put together a consist from other trains (such as the Sunset cars making up a scratch Southwest Chief in LA) or delay the corresponding outbound train so that consist can be turned.

Generally, the trains are referred to by train number and date of departure from the originating station. So the train the leaves Chicago on the first of the month and arrives Denver on the second of the month is 5(1). The train leaving Chicago on the second is 5(2).

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more examples: the Crescent, four sets; the Silvers, four sets, the City of NOL, 3 sets.

Look at the City of NOL for example. IF IF it went only from CHI to MEM, for example, there is plenty of time to be cleaned and turned in Memphis, such as two sets would suffice. But.....the southbound arrives NOL two hours after the northbound departs so obviously it needs another set.

There used to be a TV commercial which said, "It's 11 pm, do you know where your children are?

So do this, "It's 9 am, do you know where the Crescent is?

Well, one set just left NOL going north.

Another set just left Atlanta going south

a set is nearing Alexandria heading north

fourth,a set is sitting in Sunnyside yards waiting to go south this afternoon.

(PS I know there is construction south of ATL this time of year but that is not relevant as I am only referrng to normal operations).

In years past the Crescent has been known to carry some cars just NYC to ATL. That would have been handled by three sets. It has also been known to carry from WAS to ATL, that would have been two sets. These in addition to the usual NYC to NOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more examples: the Crescent, four sets; the Silvers, four sets, the City of NOL, 3 sets.

(PS I know there is construction south of ATL this time of year but that is not relevant as I am only referrng to normal operations).
During the period of the year where the Crescent runs NYC-NOL half the week and NYC-ATL the other half, how does Amtrak handle the trainsets? They only need three Crescent sets in operation for the days it runs NYC-ATL, right? Does the fourth set sit idle in NOL for a few days each week? Or does Amtrak take advantage of this opportunity to rotate cars around and do extra maintenance projects on Viewliners and diners rather than leaving them totally idle?

The extra set gets trapped in NOL. There's no easy way to get that set rotated anywhere else, so it sits there for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back