How much advance notice given when changing AGR redemption levels?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSFL

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I've only been using AGR since after the most recent change to reward levels. Does anyone know how much time AGR gave for redemptions under the old levels after announcing the change to the new levels?

The reason I'm asking is that I've got at least two 2-zone roomette trips that I'd like to take in the next 12 months or so, but I don't want to get stuck using more points if they decide to change during that time. The 2-zone roomette seems to be the best bargain: I've plotted trips valued at almost $2,000 and that's a lot for 20,000 points!

Thanks,

Steve

They've only adjusted the levels once. When that happened, several months' notice was given and awards booked before the deadline given in the advance notice were honored at the previous level (though only if they were unchanged following the deadline).

If the trip is booked before a rate increase, it will be honored at the old rate. A couple of years ago when there was a point redemption increase I booked a trip the day before the increase. The phone lines were busy but, I got the trip for the old rate and it was honored for that trip which was months in the future.

As Anderson said, it would be honored at the old rate, but if later you wanted to change that reservation (such as leaving on the 11 am train instead of the noon train or going 1 stop further), you would have to pay the new rate!

My advice is not to stress about it but to also recognize that when it comes to loyalty programs past history is no guarantee of future results. Now that Amtrak seems to be taking more of their ideas from the airline market the day may come when short notice or even instantaneous policy changes become commonplace. Nothing in the rules prevents them from manipulating the Guest Rewards program anyway they like or even dissolving it altogether. That being said Amtrak has been fairly open about pending changes thus far so hopefully they'll maintain that attitude in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is likely that Amtrak will maintain the AGR program because it helps them sell more tickets. AGR points are not free. Someone is paying for those AGR points and in essence this creates a separate revenue stream for Amtrak in advance of any trip that the points are used for. A three zone round trip in a bedroom requires 120,000 points. Assuming an average return of 1- 2 points per dollar, you would have to spend in excess of $60,000 and possibly as high as $120,000 to do that trip on points.

As for advance notice; there will be if the program is modified but IMO I do not believe that any modification is needed.

Whistler, I'm not worried about it either, but DA is correct in stating there is nothing in the rules to prevent an instantaneous change. I know this and other forums have some Amtrak/AGR managers who are forum members. Are you part of AGR management? If so, this is good news. :) Just wondering, as your post sounds very certain. Thanks-

What is the history of AGR point increases.? Anyone know how often it has happened in the past? Any particular things that may predict or influence the rate increase? I just about have enough for a 3 zone roomette, hate to see the points increase before I can use them at current levels.

Thankfully, Amtrak doesn't regularly devalue their rewards points like the airlines do. They definitely have one of the better rewards programs out there, especially if you have an AGR credit card, or a card with transferrable points like the CSP. I do have some minor quibbles about the zone boundaries in the east, but for the most part, their program is great.

Back