how much $ per hour do Amtrak dining car waiters make?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaE

Train Attendant
how much $ per hour do Amtrak dining car waiters make?

thanks!

Just remember that they're on duty almost all the time from 6 am or so until 10 or 11 pm, get to do the same the next day and may not get home for a week or more. Plus they have to carry trays of hot food on a bouncing train with others walking thru the Dining Car.

Starting wage (after training period during which they are paid only a small stipend) is, if I am current, 16 dollars and change per hours, plus tips (same for all OBS crew)...sounds generous, but trust me - it's blood money!!

If Amtrak staff each got paid a dollar every time this question was asked. . . they'd be able to finance the restoration of the Sunset East.

If the minimum wage had been adjusted to fully keep up with inflation since Lyndon Johnson was President, it would be about $10 an hour now. Apparently the dining car waiters have failed to keep up with the cost of living in America, like most of us in the 99%.

Just remember that they're on duty almost all the time from 6 am or so until 10 or 11 pm, get to do the same the next day and may not get home for a week or more. Plus they have to carry trays of hot food on a bouncing train with others walking thru the Dining Car.
and any non obs job anyone has ever had anywhere is just a walk in the park

At least others could walk in the park between their shifts. On a moving train, you can't!
I was going to make a wisecrack that the could "Train Surf" between meals, but then I realized someone might try it.
Amtrak trains don't go up to 206mph....

this dude trainsurfed at that speed on the German ICE:

(caution... this lead to a scary YouTube video)

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently train surfing is not a solo sport in lndonesia.

article-1326834768492-0F7F411600000578-747608_636x342.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back