Howdy and questions....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dabrilloman

Service Attendant
Howdy everyone!

New guy here....please be gentle!

Taking my first Amtrak trip at the end of this month. Going on March 29 from St. Paul MN to Chicago, then on down to New Orleans and back on April 2.

Would very much appreciate any tips, pointers, how to's, or what not to do's about riding Amtrak or the CONO line in general.

Thanks, everybody.....dabrilloman

Howdy everyone!

New guy here....please be gentle!

Taking my first Amtrak trip at the end of this month. Going on March 29 from St. Paul MN to Chicago, then on down to New Orleans and back on April 2.

Would very much appreciate any tips, pointers, how to's, or what not to do's about riding Amtrak or the CONO line in general.

Thanks, everybody.....dabrilloman
:hi: Welcome to the Best Forum on the Web, Smart Choice Joining! We were all Newbies Once Upon a Time, No Problema! And be sure and Check out the First Time Rider Info Pinned on this Forum and Google up Trip Reports and Threads that discuss the Rooutes you are going to Travel on your Adventure!

If you are not already a member of AGR (Amtrak Guest Rewards), please PM (Personal Message) me with your e-mail Address and Ill Refer you, if you ride within 90 days of joining youll receive 500 Bonus Points an d so will I! :cool: :wub: If you dont have the AGR Master Card from Chase consider getting it also, its an excellent way to build up AGR Points Rapidly, Bonuses just for Joining are up to 32,000 Points! Be sure and check out the AGR Site on Amtrak.com also and feel free to ask any Questions you have,, lots of Good info on here, Some of it is even True! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you taking a sleeper on any of the segments, or all they all coach?
huh.gif
If so, you can use the Metropolitan Lounges at MSP and CHI and/or the Magnolia Room in NOL to wait!

I have not taken the CONO, so I can't describe it. However, you will be served dinner out of CHI southbound.

Are you taking a sleeper on any of the segments, or all they all coach?
huh.gif
If so, you can use the Metropolitan Lounges at MSP and CHI and/or the Magnolia Room in NOL to wait!

I have not taken the CONO, so I can't describe it. However, you will be served dinner out of CHI southbound.
I have got a sleeper for the return trip, NO-CHI. Thanks for the heads up on the Magnolia Room in New Orleans!

Just for the record, the CONO usually has pretty good OTP.

New Orleans has some really dangerous areas. I wandered in one of those last time I visited, and you can bet that gave me a spook! :unsure:

Amtrak expierimented with combining the Diner and Sightseer Lounge (SSL) for the CONO into the Cross County Cafe (CCC). After passengers and crew in the CCC were overwhelmed with crowding, Amtrak put the SSL back in and they are now coonverting CCCs into a new configuration as a regular dine. Even onconverted CCCs now offer full dining service.

Wonder why you didn't book a Sleeper for CHI-NOL?

New Orleans has some really dangerous areas. I wandered in one of those last time I visited, and you can bet that gave me a spook! :unsure:

Amtrak expierimented with combining the Diner and Sightseer Lounge (SSL) for the CONO into the Cross County Cafe (CCC). After passengers and crew in the CCC were overwhelmed with crowding, Amtrak put the SSL back in and they are now coonverting CCCs into a new configuration as a regular dine. Even onconverted CCCs now offer full dining service.

The reason for no sleeper on the first leg is partly money (never enough) and partly I think I will be excited enough for my first Amtrak ride that I will be awake most of the night watching the scenery! On the trip back I am sure we will be wiped out and need the sleeper after 2 nights in the French Quarter and our 2 days of bowling in Baton Rouge in the USBC National Tourney.

Another question...how late are the snack and the bar car open? I am sure my buddy and I will want to be enjoying a few adult beverages on the way down! We will be sure to have some of our own snacks, but just wondering how late we will be able to enjoy a few beers.

Cafe car usually keeps serving until 11:00 OR 11:30. But you can still hang out and chat after that, and that might be better than talking in coach when others may be trying to sleep.

Have fun!

Cafe car usually keeps serving until 11:00 OR 11:30. But you can still hang out and chat after that, and that might be better than talking in coach when others may be trying to sleep.

Have fun!
Thanks Maine Rider! I am very much looking forward to this trip! I know it will be great!

Check out the Amtrak Train Travel Tips at On Track On LIne. It was put together by members there, including an AU admin, and has lots of good info for first time Amtrak travel.

OTOL Tips

The reason for no sleeper on the first leg is partly money (never enough) and partly I think I will be excited enough for my first Amtrak ride that I will be awake most of the night watching the scenery! On the trip back I am sure we will be wiped out and need the sleeper after 2 nights in the French Quarter and our 2 days of bowling in Baton Rouge in the USBC National Tourney.

Another question...how late are the snack and the bar car open? I am sure my buddy and I will want to be enjoying a few adult beverages on the way down! We will be sure to have some of our own snacks, but just wondering how late we will be able to enjoy a few beers.
You are going to "Red Stick" for Nationals? KEWL!

Taking the train to NO is the only way to go. You'll have a blast there....got your room already? I use the Holiday Inn French Quarter-Chateau Lemoyne, it is handy to stuff and not too noisy. Just a walk to anywhere and reasonably priced.

I won't make it to Nationals this year, my partner had surgery, and our team had one pass away this year, so we would be needing two replacements and I would need a doubles partner, so we are not going this year. My doubles partner's daughter is on the La. Tech Women's Bowling team, a senior this year, she has bowled all four years on a full ride scholarship. Thye had a tourney in Arlington, Tx. last month at the Hall of Fame and Museunm. I got to see the second 300 I've ever seen....a college girl from Vanderbilt did it there, every shot was a pocket hit!

Taking the train to NO is the only way to go. You'll have a blast there....got your room already? I use the Holiday Inn French Quarter-Chateau Lemoyne, it is handy to stuff and not too noisy. Just a walk to anywhere and reasonably priced.

I won't make it to Nationals this year, my partner had surgery, and our team had one pass away this year, so we would be needing two replacements and I would need a doubles partner, so we are not going this year. My doubles partner's daughter is on the La. Tech Women's Bowling team, a senior this year, she has bowled all four years on a full ride scholarship. Thye had a tourney in Arlington, Tx. last month at the Hall of Fame and Museunm. I got to see the second 300 I've ever seen....a college girl from Vanderbilt did it there, every shot was a pocket hit!
Yep, heading to Red Stick for some more bowling misery. This will be my 20th Nationals. Always enjoy going...wherever the tourney is. We have 6 teams that bowl the same weekend, so it's just as much a guys vacation as bowling!

We are staying at a Super 8 in Metare...we just happen to bowl the weekend of the NCAA Basketball Final Four, so the hotel prices downtown and the French Quarter are expensive!

Where in TX do you call home? Been down there a few times. Did my AF basic at San Antonio and some temp duty in Fort Worth. Also traveled through a couple of times and of course bowled Corpus Christi.

Too bad you are going to miss this the Open this year, also wish you luck in getting back next year.

Yep, heading to Red Stick for some more bowling misery. This will be my 20th Nationals. Always enjoy going...wherever the tourney is. We have 6 teams that bowl the same weekend, so it's just as much a guys vacation as bowling!

We are staying at a Super 8 in Metare...we just happen to bowl the weekend of the NCAA Basketball Final Four, so the hotel prices downtown and the French Quarter are expensive!

Where in TX do you call home? Been down there a few times. Did my AF basic at San Antonio and some temp duty in Fort Worth. Also traveled through a couple of times and of course bowled Corpus Christi.

Too bad you are going to miss this the Open this year, also wish you luck in getting back next year.

In the DFW area. We always do the Oil Capital Open in Tulsa, and the SW, but do the OC only when it is close. We came in 10th one year (way back) in Texas State Tourney in doubles @ Corpus, so that is still a special place, and I have a half brother in Rockport, across the bat from Corpus.

Good luck and Good Bowling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back