Hurricane Irma and Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all the rail fans in FL you'd think there would be plenty of videos and articles about this amazing orchestrated shutdown of the CSX system every time a major storm comes near.
I would think those Florida railfans have far more important things to do, with a major storm imminent where they reside, than film a guy taking lengths of wood off a crossing arm.

With all the rail fans in FL you'd think there would be plenty of videos and articles about this amazing orchestrated shutdown of the CSX system every time a major storm comes near.
I would think those Florida railfans have far more important things to do, with a major storm imminent where they reside, than film a guy taking lengths of wood off a crossing arm.
I would think CSX would have more important things to do than take down every grade crossing gate before every storm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've spent a lot of time with the CsX signal guys. It depends a lot on the territory. I can speak for my territory in which I spent time with the signal department.

CN&L sub

C60-C70 is managed by the Spartanburg Sub guy giving him about forty miles

Hoagie C60-C30

Ed C30-C0 plus some extra crossings in downtown Columbia.

Monroe Sub

SG428-SG397 belongs to Mark

SG397-SG363 belongs to Rex

SG363-332 belongs to Kevin.

Now granted a lot of that is rural South Carolina but there are some fairly large cities on those routes as well. And that was the assignment last time I was in Clinton so 2014.

In times of weather emergency they tend to work together. And most of the year Hoagie and Rex work in each other's territory all year long together.

I would think CSX would have more important things to do than take down every grade crossing gate before every storm.
Not at all. With respect, I'm not sure why you find it remarkable that companies or individuals in the path of a major storm (Irma) would take precautions to protect their property. You're going to have to reinstall the gates anyway if you leave them in place only to have them damaged or destroyed (become projectiles) by the storm; Why have to deal with unnecessary damage afterwards - when you're anxious to get the main back open - when a few prudent preparations are so much simpler.

The Miami Sun Sentinel reports that Tri-Rail will secure their crossing arms in the up position, if they need to. I wonder if that's a faster operation than taking the arm off, storing it, then driving it back to its location to put it back on.

With respect, I'm not sure why you find it remarkable that companies or individuals in the path of a major storm (Irma) would take precautions to protect their property. You're going to have to reinstall the gates anyway if you leave them in place only to have them damaged or destroyed (become projectiles) by the storm; Why have to deal with unnecessary damage afterwards - when you're anxious to get the main back open - when a few prudent preparations are so much simpler.
This doesn't sound terribly simple to me, nor have I ever seen or even heard of anyone doing this previously, and I live near a major hurricane path. It's also unclear where these things would go that Irma can't reach. Is there some sort of special underground bunker for crossing gates? Out here crossing gates are the responsibility of the city and state, not the railroad. If they're damaged or down the railroad can use other methods for protecting an active crossing. Not saying it's impossible that CSX does this, just that it's odd and unusual relative to my own experiences.

With respect, I'm not sure why you find it remarkable that companies or individuals in the path of a major storm (Irma) would take precautions to protect their property. You're going to have to reinstall the gates anyway if you leave them in place only to have them damaged or destroyed (become projectiles) by the storm; Why have to deal with unnecessary damage afterwards - when you're anxious to get the main back open - when a few prudent preparations are so much simpler.
This doesn't sound terribly simple to me, nor have I ever seen or even heard of anyone doing this previously, and I live near a major hurricane path. It's also unclear where these things would go that Irma can't reach. Is there some sort of special underground bunker for crossing gates? Out here crossing gates are the responsibility of the city and state, not the railroad. If they're damaged or down the railroad can use other methods for protecting an active crossing. Not saying it's impossible that CSX does this, just that it's odd and unusual relative to my own experiences.
They go to wherever is the supply depot for the signal maintainers. Usually it's in some form of old intermodal container, a building, or in a completely fenced in yard. In SC in the Piedmont area CSX has two such locations greenwood maxwell yard and Clinton, SC that I know of for fact.

I would expect cancellations to begin at least 24 hours before forecast landfall. They would not want a southbound train to get trapped in Florida in such a powerful hurricane.

Are there any plans to move the equipment north? It would make sense for the purposes of extra capacity on Northound trains and would also protect the equipment itself in the event of severe damage to Hialeah. There was a thread in Random Discussions about the issues that flooding could cause for the Amtrak facility (the thread was about the possibility of Amtrak permanently moving the facility due to climate change).

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Right now, Amtrak has blocked reservations for all service to and from points south of Jacksonville beginning tomorrow (9/7) and extending through Monday (9/11). The Auto Train is blocked for the same period. Blocking reservations does not necessarily equate to cancellation, but it anticipates the probability.

I was able to get a reservation on #98 0n Sat the 9th to Was, but I just got notified they have cancelled the res because of Irma!!!

Looks like a hurricane party!!! :huh:

From Orlando Sentinel.com 9/4/17: Hurricane Irma forecast to be in Florida on Friday

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weather/hurricane/os-hurricane-irma-labor-day-20170904-story.html

Hurricane Irma is working its way through the Caribbean today and could reach Florida by Friday, forecasters say.

Meteorologists expect the Category 3 hurricane, with maximum sustained winds of 120 mph, to remain a “dangerous major hurricane” through the week and to arrive in South Florida by Friday morning.

Modeling by the National Hurricane Center shows the outer bands of the slow-moving, potentially dangerous storm lashing Key West and Miami by 8 a.m.
Did she slow down? She's not expected till Sunday, now, right?

The situation remains fluid. CSX still has to weigh in.

Amtrak Suspends Service in Florida

Amtrak Suspends Service in Florida
Severe weather expected to impact region

Sept. 6, 2017

6 p.m. ETAmtrak will temporarily suspend services in Florida due to severe weather impacting the southeast region.

The Silver Star Train 92 and Silver Meteor Train 98 (Miami - New York City) are cancelled for Sept. 9 - 11.The Silver Star Train 91 (New York City - Miami) will operate from New York City to Orlando, Fla., on Thursday, Sept. 7. The Silver Meteor Train 97 (New York City - Miami) will operate from New York City to Jacksonville, Fla. Trains 91 and 97 are cancelled for Sept. 8 - 10.

The Auto Train 53 (Lorton, Va. - Sanford, Fla.) is cancelled for Saturday, Sept. 9. The Auto Train 52 (Sanford, Fla. - Lorton, Va.) is cancelled on Sept. 10 and 11.No alternate transportation will be provided.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.Anyone can subscribe to automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations. Notifications can be given for up to six trains and stations by either text or email and delivered when you choose - on a single day, every day, or just certain days of the week. Create a subscription at Amtrak.com/delayalerts.

Passengers with travel plans also can confirm their train's status, change their plans or review refund information using a range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps or by calling 800-USA-RAIL. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.To be notified of service disruptions on the Northeast Corridor (including Acela Express, Northeast Regional and other corridor services), follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter.

From Orlando Sentinel.com 9/4/17: Hurricane Irma forecast to be in Florida on Friday

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weather/hurricane/os-hurricane-irma-labor-day-20170904-story.html

Hurricane Irma is working its way through the Caribbean today and could reach Florida by Friday, forecasters say.

Meteorologists expect the Category 3 hurricane, with maximum sustained winds of 120 mph, to remain a “dangerous major hurricane” through the week and to arrive in South Florida by Friday morning.

Modeling by the National Hurricane Center shows the outer bands of the slow-moving, potentially dangerous storm lashing Key West and Miami by 8 a.m.
Did she slow down? She's not expected till Sunday, now, right?
The latest I have heard is that she likely will hit Miami on Sunday morning and go up the length of Florida for about 24 hours. Our forecasters think that we will get the worst of the storm around 3am Monday. Of course things could change.

According to the latest forecast based on the NHC 20:00EDT Wednesday run results, we in Melbourne get the highest wind speeds at 21:00 EDT on Sunday, with winds winding down through the night, and pretty much down to normal by 7am Monday.

But of course, all this will change fifteen times or more between now and Sunday. ;)

I guess tomorrow I should start putting up the hurricane shutters. Dusted them off today and verified that all the anchors are in ship shape. Just gotta pop em into place and tighten the anchor screws.

According to the latest forecast based on the NHC 20:00EDT Wednesday run results, we in Melbourne get the highest wind speeds at 21:00 EDT on Sunday, with winds winding down through the night, and pretty much down to normal by 7am Monday.

But of course, all this will change fifteen times or more between now and Sunday. ;)

I guess tomorrow I should start putting up the hurricane shutters. Dusted them off today and verified that all the anchors are in ship shape. Just gotta pop em into place and tighten the anchor screws.
Make sure all your lizard friends get inside before you lock up. ;)

Turning at ORL and JAX is interesting, especially without corresponding northbounds originating at ORL/JAX.
It is possible that Amtrak might originate in Orlando/Jacksonville on the first day of service restoration but they are not confident enough in the date on which service will resume to make such an announcement.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

I hope Amtrak is doing something to protect equipment at Hialeah. Terrible location for a maintenance base to be at ground level. Maybe they'll deadhead it out with the last trains north?

Make sure all your lizard friends get inside before you lock up. ;)
They know how to get in even when everything is locked up ;)

Its difficult to say where Irma's exact path will be but Southern FL is the most likely target. I pray for forum members, my friends and family who may be in Florida and certainly hope that life will be saved and damage avoided.. For those wishing to evacuate, I just read that some airlines have raised their fares by a factor of 10X. Nice of them isn't it?

Perhaps you should look into some more reputable reporting.

What is nice of the airlines is pulling off one last flight out of San Juan in between the bands of the hurricane to get 180 more people to safety.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/905487561182908416

DJDml8eWAAAvFuM.jpg

Back