i just dont get it

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both the Carolinian and the Piedmont are State sponsored trains, so neither is going to be extended past the borders of North Carolina, unless other states are going to help pay for such and extension.
well is there any chance that amtrak will make a new consist to go with the cresent

Both the Carolinian and the Piedmont are State sponsored trains, so neither is going to be extended past the borders of North Carolina, unless other states are going to help pay for such and extension.
well is there any chance that amtrak will make a new consist to go with the cresent
Unlikely, at least until they get some new single level long distance coaches, along with some data that says the ridership would be there for such a train.

What says Congress couldn't authorize federal funds to extend those trains?
Well in the case of the Carolinian, while very unlikely, Congress could indeed do that if they so choose to do so. But, I'd be willing to bet that North Carolina would stop their subsidy of said train and therefore Congress would have to fund the whole thing.

In the case of the Piedmont, Congress has no say. Amtrak only runs that train. North Carolina owns all the equipment and pays for the running of the train.

In the case of the Piedmont, Congress has no say. Amtrak only runs that train. North Carolina owns all the equipment and pays for the running of the train.
Aren't there historcal examples of Congress agreeing to take over operating subsidies on intercity passenger rail routes if the previous owner of the equipment on a given route donates the equipment to Amtrak (more or less)?

Aren't there historcal examples of Congress agreeing to take over operating subsidies on intercity passenger rail routes if the previous owner of the equipment on a given route donates the equipment to Amtrak (more or less)?
Yes, but those companies wanted to get rid of passenger trains. North Carolina doesn't want to get rid of them.

I can just see members of Congress trying to explain to their constituents why they took over a train that someone else was already happily subsidizing, so that the voters in their local district can now help subsidize it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can just see members of Congress trying to explain to their constituents why they took over a train that someone else was already happily subsidizing, so that the voters in their local district can now help subsidize it.
"Well you see, I thought it was only fair since the North Carolinians were helping to subsidize our new highway..."

If the same bill adds one seat rides from Boston to Worcester to Springfield to New Haven to Manhattan to DC without taking away any existing trains in Massachusetts, I'm not going to be complaining to my Congresspeople...

i understand that the corolinian doesent go near alanta but its better than exending the pedimont to there alanta and the peidimont :huh: those 2 things just dont go together
Does that mean Atlanta has to cede Piedmont Park in Midtown to the state of North Carolina?? :p

Actually, the Piedmont region extends from New Jersey southwest down to Alabama, with a large swath running through Georgia. The routes for both the Crescent and the Piedmont roughly mirror the path taken by the Piedmont plateau's geography. There's a map of the region here: Piedmont (United States) on Wikipedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back