I may have done this wrong???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picnic42

Train Attendant
Last week I booked a rental car from Enterprise and then booked a Choice Hotel. Both places I used our new AGR MasterCard.

My wife just sent me an email to see if we will be getting those points. For some reason I thought since I used the AGR MC it was automatic????

The AGR registration is in her name and so is the AGR MaterCard.

What am I missing here? I think she has to book things in HER name in order to get those points to her AGR account???? How do we get those extra points for Enterprise and Choice????

I am just confused a bit and need some direction.

Ralph

Did you provide an AGR number for either? The card would get points for the "purchase", but if they give points to AGR members regardless of which card is used, you may have to provide the AGR number and have it put on the rez.

To earn AGR points from a Choice Hotels stay, you have to 1) join both AGR and Choice Privileges, then 2) set your Loyalty Program Membership at Choice Privileges to you AGR membership number.

For Enterprise, you have to reference customer number AMGRWRD and have your Amtrak Guest Rewards member number ready when you make your reservation.

More information here. In general, every program has a different way of doing things, and most are pretty persnickety about procedures.

To earn AGR points from a Choice Hotels stay, you have to 1) join both AGR and Choice Privileges, then 2) set your Loyalty Program Membership at Choice Privileges to you AGR membership number.

For Enterprise, you have to reference customer number AMGRWRD and have your Amtrak Guest Rewards member number ready when you make your reservation.

More information here. In general, every program has a different way of doing things, and most are pretty persnickety about procedures.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I found the Choice Hotel stuff and entered our AGR # and reading more into it... all we have to do is give the AGR number to the front desk. Not very hard to do!

As for the Enterprise.... I might have to visit them or call them to "change" the reservation to show the AGR info. Or... at least I will try that.

Thanks again

You can give ERAC your AGR number when you pick up your rental. They'll add it to the contract. You could also call to have it added, as you mentioned.

I found the Choice Hotel stuff and entered our AGR # and reading more into it... all we have to do is give the AGR number to the front desk. Not very hard to do!
I've never had much luck doing things this way. I don't know what the front desk clerk was supposed to do, but it often hasn't happened. La Quinta is especially bad in this regard: I think that I'm one-for-three or four in getting AGR points for stays. YMMV, of course, but I found relying on automatic systems is a little safer.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

As for the Enterprise.... I might have to visit them or call them to "change" the reservation to show the AGR info. Or... at least I will try that.

Thanks again
I have never gotten the Choice thing to work by giving my number at the desk, They do not seem to know how to handle this. I suggest cancelling and rebooking after changing preference to AGR points. Then it should work just fine. That has been my experience, anyway.

I will probably cancel and rebook the Choice hotel, we have the AGR # in our file now! As for ENTERPRISE... the rental full price is $89.99 a day for an intermediate SUV. With AGR # plugged in, it becomes $85 a day... BUT with Peg's discount it is $55 a day. This one we have to do the Corp discount. Darn it I wanted the extra 250 points! :(

Thank you all for the help... sometimes just a bit of a push in the right direction is the best help!

Ralph & Peggy too!

With some of those, it is easy to miss having provide your number and/or promo code. We used Hertz a while back and although we got the Amtrak discount on the daily rate, we never got the bonus points! We failed to provide all the required info at the time of reserving the car via the shopping portal. Using the AGR shopping portal got us the rate discount. The promo code still had to be entered somewhere during the process. Also, use of the AGR credit card does not automatically get you the promo. To the rental agency, hotel, etc., its just another credit card.

So I finally got around to joining the Choice Privileges program, and I changed my preferences to the AGR loyalty rewards program. Do I have to click through the AGR shopping portal every time I make a reservation for a Choice Hotel, and also log into the Choice Privileges program in order to get the points?

Hubby and I don't stay in hotels that often, but one last year was a Choice hotel, and the extra points would be nice. When I am booking a room is not the time to figure this stuff out, so I am trying to get it done on advance when I have the time.

Ah, I found it:

Earn 250 points per qualifying stay at any Choice Hotels franchised property in the U.S., Canada, Europe (excluding Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway and Sweden), the Middle East, Mexico, Central America, Australasia (including Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Papua New Guinea and Fiji) or the Caribbean. Please see the Choice Privileges Rules and Regulations for a list of qualifying rates. A stay is defined as any number of consecutive nights at one hotel regardless of check-ins or check-outs. Guests must supply their Amtrak Guest Rewards account number to front desk at time of check-in or in their Choice Privileges profile as their earning preference to earn Amtrak Guest Rewards. Guest name must match Amtrak Guest Rewards membership name to earn point credit. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after hotel stay for point postings to occur. All Amtrak Guest Rewards terms and conditions apply.
Sounds like the keys are:

1. Change the preference in my Choice Privileges profile so that AGR is selected as my loyalty program, and my AGR number is entered (DONE).
  2. Log into my Choice Privileges account and make the rez in my name (not Hubby's), since I am the Choice Privileges member.
Is this really all there is to it? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! :)

At least with Hilton (properties - Hilton, Doubletree, HGI, etc...), as long as you do not book thru a 3rd party site (Hotwire, Expedia, etc...) and add your AGR number to the reservation, you'll earn points. I'm sure other chains are similar.

Back