I Need Some Advice.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am scheduled to travel onboard the Southwest Chief, in bedroom B.

-Is Bedroom B a good choice. They gave me the choice of B - D.

-Does The Chief have newer cars. Im concerned because i've been inside older cars, their gross.

-This is the SB Chief.

-Should I take the Texas Eagle, The Eb/Cs to Seattle/Los Angeles.

-Is The Chief a good choice.

Bedrooms B and D are pretty much the same.

No way to tell in advance which cars you'll be getting. Many of the older Superliner cars have been refurbished inside, so depending on how long ago you were last on the older fleet, they may have had a makeover since then.

The Southwest Chief is a fine route. If you want to spend an extra day on the train, you can try the Texas Eagle or the Empire Builder/Coast Starlight combination. The latter will probably cost you a bit more. Just depends on whether you value time, money, or scenery more.

I don't think the Texas Eagle would be an improvement over the Southwest Chief. However, with the Empire Builder and Coast Starlight you'll at least get improved scenery and a few other perks. I suggest you scuttle the Chief and take the EB/CS route if you have the time and money. In fact that's what I plan to do on a future trip even though I don't live at either end of that route. The California Zephyr also sounds really interesting, but I'm considering holding off until they get the toilet problems fixed (if ever). I suppose you can always request a voucher for another ride but I'm not sure that putting up with unusable facilities is worth it.

I have traveled on the CZ many times and have not yet been adversely affected personally by the toilet problems. Yeah they don't work for a bit, but then I don't suffer from a bladder problem, and have never run into a toilet on CZ when the system was not working.

Personally, I would not scuttle the SWC trip for one on EB/CS. EB/CS is indeed a nice trip when you have the extra time. But SWC has its own charm specially if you are a history buff as I am.

I'm about to take the Southwest Chief for the first time on a long cross country trip in 3 weeks from LA to Chicago, and ultimately to Michigan. As stated, you cant tell for sure whether the Chief will have newer cars or not until you get to the station itself and board it. I've been on older Superliner cars on trips aboard the Coast Starlight, and i didn't mind many things on them. The Chief is a good choice if all you want to do is a quicker way to traverse Chicago to LA by train, and there are many cool cities that train stops in, full of history as mentioned. If you've got the dough and the time, definitely spring for that Empire Builder/ Coast Starlight combo run. I'll be coming back home on this upcoming trip on the California Zephyr...definitely looking forward to that too.

I have traveled on the CZ many times and have not yet been adversely affected personally by the toilet problems. Yeah they don't work for a bit, but then I don't suffer from a bladder problem, and have never run into a toilet on CZ when the system was not working.
The only physical trait I suffer from is a functioning nose. Having smelled the result of Amtrak toilet troubles on other trains I'm hesitant to travel on the train most associated with routine facilities failures. The OP specifically mentioned wanting to avoid "filthy" trains, so I figured that might be important to him.

The only physical trait I suffer from is a functioning nose. Having smelled the result of Amtrak toilet troubles on other trains I'm hesitant to travel on the train most associated with routine facilities failures. The OP specifically mentioned wanting to avoid "filthy" trains, so I figured that might be important to him.
And my point was that I have not faced a toilet on CZ that is any more filthy than on any other Amtrak train. The facilities don't work only on a short segment, and they start working again past that segment, and usually the train crew makes sure that things are clean. Of course if you need an excuse to not ride the CZ though the spectacular scenery certainly I will not dissuade you from that misguided choice :) If filthy toilet is a reason to avoid riding trains, then I'd rule out riding any Regional on the NEC on an average day too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As a frequent rider of LD trains it has been my experience that when there are toliet problems it usually is just in particular cars, not the whole train! The SCAs will let you know if you have to use the restroom in another car and they start resetting the breakers which gives you a few flushes. Eventually when the altitude isnt so high they start working again, as was said there are lots worse bathrooms than those on Amtrak!(Ever been in a Long Dog bathroom or taken a crowded International flight in Coach!)

As to the routes, the SWC is fine but the Zephyr and the Builder/Starlight are THE trains for scenery, if you can get a room and have the bucks Id take those trains over the Chief but it too is a fine route, I just rode all these trains last month, ready to go again!

The Sunset Ltd. was my first LD train and the desert has its own beauty but I would put it in next to last place after the City of New Orleans for LD trains as to scenery!

Air pressure/elevation in the starlight in the early mornings going South usually shuts down the toilets from flushing too from the many times I've taken it.

It's a risk each of us chooses to accept or not. Some folks don't care, I get it. Some of us do. I don't doubt the scenery is great, but I've also read plenty of posts that gave the CZ a rather unappealing perspective as well. When your car develops a problem you can sometimes move to the cafe car but if a car that's having problems is next to the cafe car you might not be able to get away from the stench. Considering the complaints I've read disparaging the "unwashed masses" in coach I'm a little surprised that a true hygiene issue like malfunctioning toilets is apparently of little or no concern. But maybe that's just me.

I've taken the SWC eastbound. The scenery is great - it is completely different from the midwest. I've also taken the Empire Builder / Coast Starlight west bound. Again beautiful views. But nothing compares to the California Zephyr through the Rockies.

If you've booked the SWC, then I say stick with it. You'll have an excuse (if you need one) to take the EB/CS & CZ at a later date.

As far as toilets - I've not been on a train with non functioning toilets. I usually travel once a year in late November. I guess I've been lucky.

As far as toilets - I've not been on a train with non functioning toilets. I usually travel once a year in late November. I guess I've been lucky.
Same here! I have NEVER had a toilet not working when I've needed it! I've sometimes (rarely) had all the toilets occupied at the same time. My solution - go to the next car!
laugh.gif

It's a risk each of us chooses to accept or not. Some folks don't care, I get it. Some of us do. I don't doubt the scenery is great, but I've also read plenty of posts that gave the CZ a rather unappealing perspective as well. When your car develops a problem you can sometimes move to the cafe car but if a car that's having problems is next to the cafe car you might not be able to get away from the stench. Considering the complaints I've read disparaging the "unwashed masses" in coach I'm a little surprised that a true hygiene issue like malfunctioning toilets is apparently of little or no concern. But maybe that's just me.
I understand and appreciate your point of view. It is not that we don't care about the state of toilets. It is just that some of us from our own experiences from riding over 15,000 miles per year every year on Amtrak for the last many years, do not believe that the problem is as severe as it has been made out to be by some. As for "unwashed masses" hygiene issue you will need to consult with dlagrua, since AFAIR he was the one going on and on about that particular issue. :)

I've taken the SWC eastbound. The scenery is great - it is completely different from the midwest. I've also taken the Empire Builder / Coast Starlight west bound. Again beautiful views. But nothing compares to the California Zephyr through the Rockies.

If you've booked the SWC, then I say stick with it. You'll have an excuse (if you need one) to take the EB/CS & CZ at a later date.

Im holding the reservation.

I am currently holding this reservation.

What Onboard Services does The Chief not have that the Eb/Cs, the Cz, or the Texas Eagle.

-I do know "the living room on rails." on the Cs.

Besides the CS (which has the PPC), there is really nothing special about the SWC or any other train. The scenery may be better on some routes than others. Some routes may have "better" employees than others, but that SAME route on the day you take it may have worse employees than other routes too!

Please, for the reader's sake, do not use size 3 or size 4 or size 5 fonts when posting. Please keep it at size 2. It's easier to read!
smile.gif

One of the things that makes Japanese railways so interesting is the sheer variety of hardware on various routes. Even though we've long since turned all of our trains into bland copies of each other here in the US, it would be nice to have at least one lounge car that is unique to a given route. If it must be reserved for sleeper passengers then preferably there would be another one for the coach passengers to enjoy as well. In the heyday of passenger rail there were many different routes and trains having their own unique flavor and flare. I would like to see a return to that spirit where possible. Something tangibly distinctive to help counter the relentless homogenization of the last half-century.

Last edited by a moderator:

What Onboard Services does The Chief not have that the Eb/Cs, the Cz, or the Texas Eagle.

Other than the Pacific Parlour Car (only available on the Coast Starlight), the services on the various western long-distance trains are the same.

Other than the Pacific Parlour Car (only available on the Coast Starlight), the services on the various western long-distance trains are the same.
Well, the Eagle does have Cross Country Cafe instead of a regular diner...but that may not qualify as an "amenity". :unsure:

The Southwest Chief also tends to have pretty good timekeeping, due to pretty consistently good dispatching by BNSF. As long as Amtrak doesn't put bad engines on the road...

I LOVE the Chief! The scenery is amazingly beautiful. You have one full day on the train and the entire day is full of awesomeness. Literally, from the moment you wake up in the morning you will be among canyons, mountains, and wildlife. It's a beautiful trip. I personally think the Zephyr is best in the winter, when you can truly appreciate the Rockies and Sierra Nevadas in snowy conditions. No matter what, have fun! :)

I think you've gotten very good advice, particularly from some forum members who have travelled Amtrak quite a bit. at this point, I think you need to just make a decision and look forward to a nice trip. :)

I was westbound to LA on the Chief this summer and if the toilets quit working, I never knew it. Perhaps I was too mesmerized by the scenery to notice. The next week I was eastbound on the CZ and again, if the toilets quit, I didn't know it. The only toilet I remember that didn't work was on the CONO....the upstairs toilet had a out of order sign on it. Could have been not working or could have been because it was next to the attendant's room. <_< :lol:

Enjoy your trip on the SWC. It is a great train with plenty of interesting scenery from the Great Plains to mountains to deserts. A real picture of the American West :)

Have traveled several times on the CZ and not had any bathroom problems that I am aware of? Don't sweat the little things that occur in life and move on to enjoy the ride :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back