Ideal Laptop Size for Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been in the computer industry since the big old mainframes that filled entire rooms and had huge a/c systems. I watched the birth of the PC and eventually the Apple products; each serving their own purpose. The Apple products gravitated to the graphic arts and the PC more to business since IBM served that arena. The unique part for Apple was the operating system and the graphical interface (developed first by Xerox) and the canned OS. Each product line had it's pluses and minuses, but served a purpose. Today so many companies have piled on with so many variations of these platforms, that it really boils down to what work for YOU.

Today I am composing this message on a Motorola XOOM while riding Eastward on the SWC. This device has some quirks that have taken a little while to get used to, but does everything that I need during my travels. I have been able to read emails, browse the web, read PDF files, and spreadsheets. So while it is not a PC, it has replaced my old 8 pound notebook for my travels. My 2 cents YMMV!

I've tended to stick with Think Pads...I'm not opposed to switching, but the T520 is about perfect for my purposes right now. The only thing I might look to upgrade (other than periodic upgrades to the CPU, etc. that tend to come about when I get a new one) would be something more...well, hard to destroy (sort of like how I really want a ruggedized cell phone and I'm probably looking at the g'zone for my next phone this winter): My computer has taken some tumbles, and I like having one that can take them and keep moving.

I have a lenovo 3000 G530 with a 15 inch screen sitting onto of a cooling pad and it fits on the seat back tray tables no problem.
What type of coach car were you travelling in?

I was travelling on the Silver Star, which has Amfleet coaches and found that the complimentary ARRIVE magazine fit the seat-back tray tables almost perfectly (about 0.4" of space on each side of the tray was left)

Laptop_Size.jpg

Arrive vs My Toshiba Satellite A505

The magazine is about 8" deep and 10.5" wide, in case you're wondering.

That's the most ridiculous thing that I've read. I've got a 5 year old Powerbook G4 that's been everywhere with me that looks like the day that I bought it. The mag safe connector alone makes the laptop far more robust than any other laptop that I've owned (it's the only connector that I haven't had to take apart the laptop to have the power connector re-soldered on after a few years of use).
Just because my experience differs from yours does not make it ridiculous. Maybe you're more careful than I am with your laptop or maybe your idea of a noticeable dent or ding is different from mine. I've had two Apple Macbook Pro's starting with the 2009 models and initially I treated them just like I had treated my Dell's, HP's, Acers, Compaqs, etc. for many years. It quickly became obvious that unlike the other brands the Apples would require more care to avoid getting banged up or harmed. I've had Dell's and Lenovos that survived sodas and juice being accidentally poured on them. I've had an Acer that survived being dropped six feet. I've seen a coworker's Compaq that survived being accidentally run over by a car for Pete's sake. Apple Macbooks cannot survive similar treatment. If they suffer a serious fall or someone steps on them or anything gets poured on them not only are they likely to die but even the extended warranty will likely do nothing to help you get them repaired. In addition the repairs are likely to be much more expensive than repairing a more conventional laptop. The whole reason Apple notebooks have features like break-away power cables is because one serious fall will beat the living daylights out of them and won't be covered by any of the available warranties. Yes, if you're careful you can absolutely take your Apple wherever you want, but I'd rather have something that's more durable and/or less expensive. Which includes just about every other brand.

Not doubting your experience, but I have had a 13" Macbook Pro for 18 months. It's been everywhere with me, including lots of travel, and it works and looks great. I loaded it with VMware Fusion and Windows 7, and between the mac apps and the Windows apps, it does everything I need at home and on the road. It is the right size for both Amtrak and airlines travel, and with a small shoulder bag, is easy to transport. Previously I used a company-issued 15" Lenovo that was huge, heavy and slow. The MacBook is a dream compared to that tank.
Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed owning and using both of my Apple laptops. I just don't feel they're a good value in the current marketplace when it comes to cost and durability.
I agree with this completely. I thought this from the first Mac that came out. I worked at a lab than that used all of the latest machines irrespective of manufacturer as they were introduced and Apple have always been premium priced and less robust mechanically. They were generally somewhat more capable and better ergonomically (both hardware and software).

You missed the entire point - that data refers to usage in the real world, under the conditions that you're talking about.
Real world usage of a Mac is like babysitting a fancy calculator. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily. When average middle-class folks pay a couple thousand dollars for a beautiful laptop you'd expect them be damn careful with it. But implying people use Macs and Dells the exact same way doesn't mesh with my experience at all. Real world usage of an Apple warranty virtually requires that you babysit that thing. If you try to get it serviced or repaired with any obvious damage, including purely cosmetic damage, you're likely to be billed at the highest possible rate regardless of whatever warranties you may have purchased or otherwise had available to you. If your Mac is banged up it's no longer covered. It simply doesn't matter to Apple if the problem is the SuperDuperDrive and the dent is on the port side.

If you have a Consumer Reports subscription, you can see that they rank at the top of every category as well.
Yes, I do have a subscription and I'll never forget how all the Apple fanatics went crazy after Consumer Reports dared to criticize Apple over the antenna issues of the iPhone 4. Even the larger forums like Macrumors were full of bizarre accusations and absurd conspiracy theories about which competitor was paying Consumer Reports to badmouth Apple. Anyone who knows anything about Consumer Reports knows they're one of the few organizations that does not accept money from any business. That was just one in a series of events that made it crystal clear that Apple fanatics don't have their heads on straight. Being part of the Apple ecosystem used to be about being different and unique. There's no shame in doing things the hard way if you're still getting them done. But now the Apple way is more about being just like everyone else. I can't even tell the difference between today's Apple fan and yesterday's Microsoft fan anymore.

Like your experience on Amtrak seems to be, your experience with your laptops is atypical.
If you rode the Texas Eagle and Sunset limited a dozen times in a row I'm confident that you'd find a lot more to agree with than disagree with. Whether you're talking about flaky hardware or cranky employees we seem to get more than our fair share down here.

As far as the rest of it, most people don't need a laptop with a hojillion ports on them. For what real people actually use laptops for, the Apple line has everything that is needed.
I don't disagree that most people mainly use their computers for goofing off and wasting time. I just don't agree that this makes Apple's products a better value than they otherwise would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aloha

Something being missed in this thread is that the right computer on Amtrak or anywhere else is the computer you are comfortable with.

I am and was a mac user by need . To be blunt editing Video on a pc in 99 was not a option . Fast fwd to now . My 6 year old G4 is dieing from a Mobo isue and really I don't need to edit on the go anymore soo I got me a PC . but wait ! its not running winblows . Nope its on Debian Linux and it does everything a OSX or a WIN box can do .And the PC I got is life proof . I splurged and got a toughbook . ( If I am to buy a PC it better be a darn good one . NO wal mart cheap plastic a normal PC / Mac can't survive this .. video

The MBA is by far the best travel computer I have seen .

backlit KB ~ Stock ~Casue its dark in coach ! ( this alone is worth it )

Long batt ~ Stock ~ some times you cant find a AC socket on a old car or in a station .

Bluetooth ~stock ~ you can use your phone as a modem . IRC chat !! here !

MagSafe ~ In the last 4 weeks I have fixed over 6 Dells and there Cursed inner Pin issue .

and rebuilt the end plugs on 4 AC adapters acer 2 HP and a dell.

Thunderbolt ~ its Firewire . USB . VGA DVI HDMI . Eathernet and more in one plug .

and you can boot off it too and have OTHER macs boot off of yours like a jumpstart .

And last . You can still run Windows If you have the itch . duel boot . VM or emulate .

ohter then $ you really dont loose anything with a mac . but you do gain some nifty extras that are handy .

Peter

Dear me, the Mac vs. PC culture wars seem to have crept into this forum on little commando feet.

Henry It can for some be a lifestyle . Really in the end its all a logic Gates on a chip . and 1/0s on a disk .

I am not a "fanboy " . I HATE some of what apple has done . Esp the IOS stuff .

and after this >>> LINK I have NO NEED to keep apple .

48% of market share for Pro video was Is ( not much longer) with FCP and thus Apple . Oh heck, Xmen was edited on the same Software I have .

but now that they have spat on the Pro side that makes them the AV computer they are . I dont want to deal with them .

I have found for Deban some Ok software .

No it is NO where as easy or good as FCP 5 but its Freeee and If I had to put a scale on it its 6/10 of what FCP can do. in my case good enough .

I did back in 08 look at a PC to replace my OS9 PPC mac tower that died . but the costs were more then that of apple If you included the software and Vista was a PITA . I run some rather $ software .

FCP Protools Bryce and a slue of other SW . totaling more then $3K .

To buy the PC versions VS upgrading to the OSX MAc ones was allmost 3 times the cost . ..

I got all my stuff up to date for 1400 and I got My mac for 1000 . its a Mini ! and does HD video Very well .

a 500 PC and 4000 in SW is more then the mac system .

NOT spec wise but get the job done wise .

Yes you can say I was locked in to apple . but so are gamers on to MS WIN . Meh ..

Enter the Tux .

I have used Linux for allmost 5 years now .

Linux is a cool thing . It was not to long ago a joke to use as a home mainstream desktop OS .

Now it is not a joke anymore and it really is a big threat to the top 2 .

Yea its not shiney but its fast and gets the job done .

And I have the power to make it look how ever I want . And I do !

If you want a GOOD pc the M11x is a good PC . ( OS squabbles aside ) LINK

Still BT is optional .

I have used it and was impressed .

Then again its not from a store ....

Peter...

You missed the entire point - that data refers to usage in the real world, under the conditions that you're talking about.
Real world usage of a Mac is like babysitting a fancy calculator. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily. When average middle-class folks pay a couple thousand dollars for a beautiful laptop you'd expect them be damn careful with it. But implying people use Macs and Dells the exact same way doesn't mesh with my experience at all. Real world usage of an Apple warranty virtually requires that you babysit that thing. If you try to get it serviced or repaired with any obvious damage, including purely cosmetic damage, you're likely to be billed at the highest possible rate regardless of whatever warranties you may have purchased or otherwise had available to you. If your Mac is banged up it's no longer covered. It simply doesn't matter to Apple if the problem is the SuperDuperDrive and the dent is on the port side.
Sorry, you're going to actually have to present some data other than "my experience" because my experience says the exact opposite.

Sorry, you're going to actually have to present some data other than "my experience" because my experience says the exact opposite.
You really need me to find data that says average people treat a $2,000 glass and aluminum laptop more carefully than a $500 dollar laptop from Dell? Do you also need me to find data that says Apple has a long history of refusing to provide warranty coverage when performing repairs on devices with liquid or cosmetic damage? These issues are well understood and acknowledged on the Mac forums I visit and yet you alone refuse to believe any of it because your own personal experience somehow trumps the experience of anyone else. I wonder Ryan, how many people did you see using phone protectors before the iPhone came along with it's $600+ replacement cost and hyper-skeptical warranty coverage?

I would, yeah. There's a huge difference between anecdotes and data. You also see a lot of things that are "well understood and acknowledged" in forums that turn out to be not true (this forum included). The millions of people that don't have problems with their gear usually don't start threads about everything working the way that it's supposed to, just like the vast majority of people that have perfectly normal trips on Amtrak don't end up here posting about it. I've had an iPhone since the release week of the 3G and none of them have ever seen a case, yet I've had no problems with selling them when it came time to upgrade.

I too have both an iPhone and a Mac (but desktop, not laptop). I have been using the protectors on my iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 for years! And although I do not own a Mac laptop, I prefer to use my Mac desktop over a PC. To each his or her own!

[Moderator hat on]

Please let's not turn this into a debate about which is better, PC or Mac. As I stated above, I use both so have experience with both. Some people prefer PC and some prefer Mac. That is not to say one is better than the other.

[Moderator hat off]

I use a MacBook Pro of '06 vintage. It's barely too old to run Lion, which is annoying, but it works fine for pretty much anything I need at this point. Until this past year I hardly used its portability at all, but recently it's gone with me all over the place. I've never thought of it as particularly fragile or sturdy-though I did once manage to spill caramel into the keyboard to no ill effect (long term, anyway-cleaning that out was a nightmare, but that's, well, caramel), which I'm not sure how many laptop keyboards would survive unscathed.

One thing that Mac laptops have that I haven't seen on PCs is the multitouch-capable scrolling/zooming trackpad-I haven't used a mouse or clicked on a scroll bar in years, and this alone would be worth the price difference over comparable PC hardware.

On LD overnight trips, I take my full size Compaq Experian Laptop along with a set of extention speakers. We are always in a bedroom and sometimes we like to watch movies on DVD. Its a lot to carry but it serves the purpose. On day trips in coach the iphone does the trick and my wife carries a Samsung tablet that is a step up. IMO, the ideal size laptop is the one that fits the intended purpose. If you are not doing business related work then an iPad, tablet, or even an iPhone will keep you in touch with the outside world. However, the 3G/4G service on a train isn't always great.
We have a large Toshiba laptop that we purchased before the current "smaller is better" craze. It has a large viewing area and built in stereo speakers, which makes it perfect for watching movies and playing Yatzee during the evening hours on long trips. Like you, we always get a bedroom. Our computer fits on the fold-up table with no problems. I've got a Kindle that I *can* use for email, but when we're traveling for pleasure, I try to keep email and other computer related daily "must-dos" to a minimum. :rolleyes: If I'm in the mood, I also use the computer for taking day by day travel notes to use in online trip reports. :cool:

I too have both an iPhone and a Mac (but desktop, not laptop). I have been using the protectors on my iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 for years! And although I do not own a Mac laptop, I prefer to use my Mac desktop over a PC. To each his or her own!
The point I was trying to make was that very few folks were buying protectors for their mobile phones before Apple & AT&T teamed up to offer one of the most expensive phones combined with one of the most limited warranties. The same holds true for Apple laptops with the addition of the fact that their laptops are substantially less durable than their phones. In my view this is good information for prospective buyers to have.

Please let's not turn this into a debate about which is better, PC or Mac. As I stated above, I use both so have experience with both. Some people prefer PC and some prefer Mac. That is not to say one is better than the other.
I don't think Windows is inherently better than Mac OSX. Nor do I think Windows is better or worse than Linux or whatever else someone wants to use. Use whatever you want for all I care. I happen to use both Mac and Windows myself every day of the week. I simply think Apple laptops are too expensive and too delicate to recommend to people of average means who intend to routinely travel with one. To a reasonable person that's a perfectly valid position to hold. But to a Apple fanatic those are fighting words that need to be backed up with reams of data. *shrug* :mellow:

And that's been my whole point. Apple's laptops aren't significantly more fragile than any of their competitors and the reliability data proves that out.

To a reasonable person that's a perfectly valid position to hold. But to a Apple fanatic those are fighting words that need to be backed up with reams of data. *shrug* :mellow:
That's completely unnecessary. I'm perfectly reasonable, and I'm sorry that you're so offended that someone uses actual data to point out that "your experience" isn't the universal arbiter of truth that you have to stoop to attacking someone personally when they do.

Aloha

A warning was issued earlier about a debate over Apple verses PC. Please limit further discussion of what you like, not one over the other. Further "mine is better than yours" will get this thread closed.

Mahalo

I have a 15.6 laptop that works just fine for me. However, I've noticed that lately I've been using my laptop less and less on my long distant trips. It seems when it gets dark after I eat dinner I just want to lay back and look up at the sky and stars pass by. I do however bring a few dvds along just in case. But my laptop comes in handy in the evenings when I'm back at the hotel. I can check up you guys to see what you are talking about on AU.

Laptops also come in handly not just for watching DVDs or surfing the web if you got a cell web connection but for doing trip reports as you can type and save it in word pad or microsoft works whichever your laptop has.

Aloha

A warning was issued earlier about a debate over Apple verses PC. Please limit further discussion of what you like, not one over the other. Further "mine is better than yours" will get this thread closed.

Mahalo
Yes. We need to return to our roots, such as the debate whether the Broadway Limited was a better train than the Twentieth Century Limited. Heh-heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back