Ideal Laptop Size for Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RCrierie

Train Attendant
Alas, my Toshiba A505 Satellite was a bit too...big for practical use at 15.1" wide and 10.2" deep; meaning I had to go down to the lounge tables to use it.

Does the rest of the forum have practical advice on laptop sizing for Amtrak?

One piece of advice I can give you now, is to consolidate your "geardo" stuff into a single bag that you can carry -- instead of having a laptop case and a camera bag; get a special camera backpack from a photography store, and use it to store both your laptop and camera stuff on the train; allowing you quick access to either, while being able to follow you around without the hassle of having to carry two bags with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, the ideal computer is an Acer netbook with an 8.5" screen. It and a mouse (I hate the touchpad) fit perfectly on a coach tray table or a sleeper's table! However, I plan to get a new notebook with a 14" screen. I think that should do well.

I have a lenovo 3000 G530 with a 15 inch screen sitting onto of a cooling pad and it fits on the seat back tray tables no problem.

I happen to own a 13" Macbook Pro and find that size to be far more useful than the 15" MBP that preceded it. However I cannot in good faith recommend a Mac for most folks. In general they have either been underpowered or overpriced and sometimes both. Unlike all the plastic laptops out there Macbooks show unmistakable signs of each bump and ding with a permanent dent or gouge. Despite all claims to the contrary they represent some of the most delicate and dainty hardware ever produced. They're meant to look portable while forever remaining in the protected confines of some minimalist home office workspace. Once you start bringing them with you on long trips they will begin to accrue an increasing number of battle scars over time. The only way to avoid collecting the various pits and marks is to cover up your brand new laptop with a permanent protector case, at which point you've largely defeated the purpose of having an Apple device in the first place. In the end it makes just as much sense to buy a pack of two or three non-Apple computers for the same cost.

I have an older 17" Dell Inspiron. Not practical for using in coach, but it's what I have. Before my next trip I plan to buy a Kindle with 3g. I just want to stay in touch with the "outside" world, not watch DVDs or do paperwork for the business. If I had my druthers & unlimited money supply, I'd buy an IPad or something similar.

I've humped many, many different laptops aboard trains, planes and cars, including Macbooks, Dells, IBMs and Toshibas. In my experience smaller and lighter has always been better. My two road machines now are a 10" Toshiba netbook and an iPad 2 with Apple Bluetooth keyboard. The Apples have been the toughest and most durable of them all -- never a burp, and I carry them in neoprene sleeves to avoid bumps and gouges.

Both the netbook and the iPad 2 win for weight and convenience, but each has its drawbacks. Neither is powerful enough for on-the-go photo work. The netbook's keyboard is usable but cramped. The Bluetooth keyboard with the iPad is much better but the combination is not easy to use on a lurching train.

If I were made of money I'd get a new small-screen Macbook Air.

However I cannot in good faith recommend a Mac for most folks. In general they have either been underpowered or overpriced and sometimes both. Unlike all the plastic laptops out there Macbooks show unmistakable signs of each bump and ding with a permanent dent or gouge. Despite all claims to the contrary they represent some of the most delicate and dainty hardware ever produced. They're meant to look portable while forever remaining in the protected confines of some minimalist home office workspace. Once you start bringing them with you on long trips they will begin to accrue an increasing number of battle scars over time. The only way to avoid collecting the various pits and marks is to cover up your brand new laptop with a permanent protector case, at which point you've largely defeated the purpose of having an Apple device in the first place. In the end it makes just as much sense to buy a pack of two or three non-Apple computers for the same cost.
That's the most ridiculous thing that I've read. I've got a 5 year old Powerbook G4 that's been everywhere with me that looks like the day that I bought it. The mag safe connector alone makes the laptop far more robust than any other laptop that I've owned (it's the only connector that I haven't had to take apart the laptop to have the power connector re-soldered on after a few years of use).

I happen to own a 13" Macbook Pro and find that size to be far more useful than the 15" MBP that preceded it. However I cannot in good faith recommend a Mac for most folks. In general they have either been underpowered or overpriced and sometimes both. Unlike all the plastic laptops out there Macbooks show unmistakable signs of each bump and ding with a permanent dent or gouge. Despite all claims to the contrary they represent some of the most delicate and dainty hardware ever produced. They're meant to look portable while forever remaining in the protected confines of some minimalist home office workspace. Once you start bringing them with you on long trips they will begin to accrue an increasing number of battle scars over time. The only way to avoid collecting the various pits and marks is to cover up your brand new laptop with a permanent protector case, at which point you've largely defeated the purpose of having an Apple device in the first place. In the end it makes just as much sense to buy a pack of two or three non-Apple computers for the same cost.
Not doubting your experience, but I have had a 13" Macbook Pro for 18 months. It's been everywhere with me, including lots of travel, and it works and looks great. I loaded it with VMware Fusion and Windows 7, and between the mac apps and the Windows apps, it does everything I need at home and on the road. It is the right size for both Amtrak and airlines travel, and with a small shoulder bag, is easy to transport. Previously I used a company-issued 15" Lenovo that was huge, heavy and slow. The MacBook is a dream compared to that tank.

On LD overnight trips, I take my full size Compaq Experian Laptop along with a set of extention speakers. We are always in a bedroom and sometimes we like to watch movies on DVD. Its a lot to carry but it serves the purpose. On day trips in coach the iphone does the trick and my wife carries a Samsung tablet that is a step up. IMO, the ideal size laptop is the one that fits the intended purpose. If you are not doing business related work then an iPad, tablet, or even an iPhone will keep you in touch with the outside world. However, the 3G/4G service on a train isn't always great.

For me, the ideal computer is an Acer netbook with an 8.5" screen. It and a mouse (I hate the touchpad) fit perfectly on a coach tray table or a sleeper's table! However, I plan to get a new notebook with a 14" screen. I think that should do well.
I agree. Mine runs Linux and has a flash drive for a disk so it is light, small and more rugged than one with a regular disk. Perfect for travel if you are not on a working trip. Has video player, Skype, OpenOffice, FF, Thunderbird, wifi and more but the screen is small for extended business use. Disk is small but takes SD card as an external disk, another as an external "internal" one and can also handle a USB drive simultaneously.

Both the wife and I carry a Acer netbook....plenty of room on roomette tables for both.....be sure and carry a power strip tho.....
cool.gif

I have an HP netbook. I find the screen too small and the keyboard frustrating.

The processor is slow compared to my HP desktop and laptop. It is small and

lightweight but I prefer taking my laptop.

I just bought a Coby Kyros 7015 Tablet to take on my upcoming trip and try out. It's like an iPad with Android OS. I got this used on eBay for $95 total cost. It has 7" touch screen, WiFi + other functions. This was my choice after looking at netbooks, notebooks, laptops, tablets for the express purpose of taking on train vacations.

I agree with The Traveler. Acer 8.5" is excellent. It's compact, but still big enough to get the job done. Depending on what you want to do, an even smaller option is a Smart Phone of your choice. If you need word processing, go with the mini netbook. If you just need quick reference, including internet service, the Droid Incredible 2 is more than sufficient.

That's the most ridiculous thing that I've read. I've got a 5 year old Powerbook G4 that's been everywhere with me that looks like the day that I bought it. The mag safe connector alone makes the laptop far more robust than any other laptop that I've owned (it's the only connector that I haven't had to take apart the laptop to have the power connector re-soldered on after a few years of use).
Just because my experience differs from yours does not make it ridiculous. Maybe you're more careful than I am with your laptop or maybe your idea of a noticeable dent or ding is different from mine. I've had two Apple Macbook Pro's starting with the 2009 models and initially I treated them just like I had treated my Dell's, HP's, Acers, Compaqs, etc. for many years. It quickly became obvious that unlike the other brands the Apples would require more care to avoid getting banged up or harmed. I've had Dell's and Lenovos that survived sodas and juice being accidentally poured on them. I've had an Acer that survived being dropped six feet. I've seen a coworker's Compaq that survived being accidentally run over by a car for Pete's sake. Apple Macbooks cannot survive similar treatment. If they suffer a serious fall or someone steps on them or anything gets poured on them not only are they likely to die but even the extended warranty will likely do nothing to help you get them repaired. In addition the repairs are likely to be much more expensive than repairing a more conventional laptop. The whole reason Apple notebooks have features like break-away power cables is because one serious fall will beat the living daylights out of them and won't be covered by any of the available warranties. Yes, if you're careful you can absolutely take your Apple wherever you want, but I'd rather have something that's more durable and/or less expensive. Which includes just about every other brand.

Not doubting your experience, but I have had a 13" Macbook Pro for 18 months. It's been everywhere with me, including lots of travel, and it works and looks great. I loaded it with VMware Fusion and Windows 7, and between the mac apps and the Windows apps, it does everything I need at home and on the road. It is the right size for both Amtrak and airlines travel, and with a small shoulder bag, is easy to transport. Previously I used a company-issued 15" Lenovo that was huge, heavy and slow. The MacBook is a dream compared to that tank.
Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed owning and using both of my Apple laptops. I just don't feel they're a good value in the current marketplace when it comes to cost and durability.

I have to agree with Chris on this one! Apple makes amazing products but they are fragile, overhyped and overpriced compared to their competition! Competitors similar (or even improved/less costly)devices dont make people spend the night on the sidewalk to buy the lattest and hottest new thing going like Apple does, but they do the job! YMMV, you pay your money and you take your chances!

Disclaimer; I dont take ANY computer on a Train except my I phone, but I'm retired and I couldnt care less about whats happening at the office, or what starlette went into rehab etc, theres too much going on right outside my window and on the Train, but I do read AU and keep up with Julie and similar sites! ^_^

Just because my experience differs from yours does not make it ridiculous.
I wasn't just referring to my experience being different, I was referring to actual data on the subject.

You can start here:

17nov09compach0qw83.jpg

PC World also has some data that ranks Apple hardware well.

Are they expensive? Perhaps, although not as much as people would think when you actually compare specs. But like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

Last year I took my Asus netbook on my cross country trip and it worked fine. The small battery that regulates the date and time is no longer working and it will cost almost as much to replace the battery (if I could find someone to do it) and the netbook cost itself. I now consider it to be a disposable netbook. Looking at the chart that Ryan posted, Asus seems better than Apple, but it was not good to me.

I have just purchased an Acer Iconia Tablet and will take that on my trip to Seattle this year. It is lighter than the netbook, but is not as good for drafting, but is better for other things. To me, smaller is better. I do not have a smart phone - I hope my tablet is pretty smart. I will also have a Mi-Fi with me with prepaid broadband.

If weight and size are your main objectives, a Macbook Air is perfect for travel. It's light as a feather, takes up virtually no space, and if you use a laptop sleeve, the casing is very resistant to scratches and dents. I've only had this thing for a month and wish I hadn't stuck with a PC for so many years.

I wasn't just referring to my experience being different, I was referring to actual data on the subject.
I made no reference to manufacturing defects and the like. Yes, if left alone on a desk an Apple will continue to work and look pretty. Its when you start to take it with you and expose it to a harsher world outside the home that you start to see where the differences lie. I'm not just randomly bashing Apple here. I found the iPhone to be the most useful and durable phone I've ever owned. If it were available to Sprint customers I'd still have one. My current HTC Evo 4G is complete crap by comparison. But the Macbook line is not durable at all. It's fragile. And they're nowhere near the market-changing devices the iPhone was. They're just basic laptops that look very pretty but basically do the exact same things any other laptop or notebook/netbook can do for half or even a third of the cost.

Are they expensive? Perhaps, although not as much as people would think when you actually compare specs. But like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.
I know plenty about features and specs and Apples are missing many of the most common ones. $2,000 for a 15" laptop with only two USB ports on one side? No HDMI, no Blu-ray, no VGA, no Express Card, no USB3? The Macbook Airhead is even worse. Oh, but they do happily include ThunderBlunder that doesn't connect to much of anything at all. Yes, you can buy a bunch of bulky external adapters that increase the cost even further and take away much of the esthetic appeal but for most folks who know what a modern computer should actually capable of a Macbook is not a great value. Their more recent updates have included vastly faster processors that do nothing for the experience of most users while leaving out upgrades that address deficiencies in storage and interoperability.

But if you're looking for speed and basic computing (word processing, email, web surfing) along with minimal weight/size for travel purposes, the Macbook Air is a good choice. Not as powerful as similarly priced PC's, but certainly an upgrade over a Netbook that cost less money. It was this or an Ipad for me, and I chose the Airbook because it can basically do the same things I'd want from an Ipad but is much easier to use for work (can't stand the touchscreen keyboard that's becoming so popular--probably just me, though).

I made no reference to manufacturing defects and the like. Yes, if left alone on a desk an Apple will continue to work and look pretty. Its when you start to take it with you and expose it to a harsher world outside the home that you start to see where the differences lie.
You missed the entire point - that data refers to usage in the real world, under the conditions that you're talking about. If you have a Consumer Reports subscription, you can see that they rank at the top of every category as well. Like your experience on Amtrak seems to be, your experience with your laptops is atypical.

As far as the rest of it, most people don't need a laptop with a hojillion ports on them. For what real people actually use laptops for, the Apple line has everything that is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back