Im Riding the Eagles after a Year!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big day tomorrow, Jim?!😊👏

Have a great trip and tell us all about it!😊
Thanks, I'm already packed and made my list,🤣 checking on #21/ On-time out of Temple ( tomorrow's #22/#422) and #2, the connection in SAS to my Train. ( 1Hour Late out of El Paso),

I'm hoping #22/#422 is close to on time into Austin, so I'll get to try the Omelette! Austin is last call for Breakfast when the Eagle is On-Time.

Thanks, I'm already packed and made my list,🤣 checking on #21/ On-time out of Temple ( tomorrow's #22/#422) and #2, the connection in SAS to my Train. ( 1Hour Late out of El Paso),

I'm hoping #22/#422 is close to on time into Austin, so I'll get to try the Omelette! Austin is last call for Breakfast when the Eagle is On-Time.
Looking forward to updates on the trip Jim. Have a great time!

I am FINALLY fully vaccinated, and so is my mom, so this afternoon I spent the voucher I had had since I cancelled the March 2020 trip (and then the May 2020 trip....and I didn't even TRY to do Thanksgiving or Christmas*). So in May I will be once again riding on the Eagle and will get to see my mom again after 17 months or so.

*It would probably have been safe to do it earlier, maybe? But my mom is 84 - she got vaccinated in Illinois just a couple weeks before I did in OK - and I have some complicating factors (like asthma) that made me worried I'd have a bad outcome if I caught COVID. But now I feel pretty safe.

Looks like they are still only running 3 days a week? I thought I had seen a story that the San Antonio-Chicago leg was coming back every day, but maybe not yet?

I am FINALLY fully vaccinated, and so is my mom, so this afternoon I spent the voucher I had had since I cancelled the March 2020 trip (and then the May 2020 trip....and I didn't even TRY to do Thanksgiving or Christmas*). So in May I will be once again riding on the Eagle and will get to see my mom again after 17 months or so.

*It would probably have been safe to do it earlier, maybe? But my mom is 84 - she got vaccinated in Illinois just a couple weeks before I did in OK - and I have some complicating factors (like asthma) that made me worried I'd have a bad outcome if I caught COVID. But now I feel pretty safe.

Looks like they are still only running 3 days a week? I thought I had seen a story that the San Antonio-Chicago leg was coming back every day, but maybe not yet?
Congrats, nice trip! 😎

The Daily Eagles wont start until May 24th, with the Sunset Ltd. remaining in its 3 times a week Traditional Schedule!😟

When are you taking the eagle filly?
Mid-May. I wanted to be up there for my mom's birthday (23 May) so I guess I missed the re-start of the daily Eagles for my trip up - but that would explain why it was fine with the day I picked for my trip back the first week of June.

Mid-May. I wanted to be up there for my mom's birthday (23 May) so I guess I missed the re-start of the daily Eagles for my trip up - but that would explain why it was fine with the day I picked for my trip back the first week of June.
Hopefully Full Service will have returned to the Diner ( CCC) and the Sightseer Lounge will be in the consist too!

Pilgrims Progress: My Excellent Adventure on the Eagle from Austin to Dallas.

Arrived @ the Austin station @ 830am since #22/#422 was shown as " On time" @ 923am into Austin.

Planned to check my bag, surprised to find out that the Station is now Open 9am-7PM, Closed Thursday.( No Trains)

Checked bag with Curtis,the Lead Agent, got my parking pass ( Free Parking in the Lighted Lot owned by UP), waited Outside in the Foggy, 60 degree Weather until the Eagle came chugging round the bend @ 923am, Right on time.

There were about 15 people boarding the Coaches, and 2 of us for the Sleepers.

The consist was the usual P-42, with a Transdorm( the #22 Sleeper),a CCC and 2 Coaches with the #422 Sleeper on the tail.No Sightseer Lounge!😟( the #422 Sleeper is a Rehab I with the " Nice" Bathrooms and Shower and the Faux Paneling. In good shape and Very Clean, even the Bathrooms after 2 Days and Nights on the Road. As an Orphan Train,The Eagles used to get the Tired and Raggety Equipment)

Met my SCA, Tami, a Veteran from the Zephyr,the Crew are all Veterans with the current Skeleton Staffing on the LD Trains.

Went to the Diner( CCC) for Last Call Breakast, met the Lone LSA, who is working the Diner and Cafe Car.

Ordered Coffee,Apple Juice, the New Omelette and a Blueberry Muffin.I was the only passenger in the Diner , there were 2 Crew Members and an Amtrak Policeman having Breakast, first time I've seen an Amtrak LE Agent on the Eagle this far South!

The Coffee and the Apple Juice were the Best part of the Breakfast, the Omelette had no taste, the Breakast potatoes were OK, but the Muffin was a Sugar Bomb.

I was surprised to see a Chef in the CCC, guess heat and eat helps out the over worked LSA!

Next time I'll get the Continental Breakast sans the Muffin.

Some of the Crew told me that the Pasta and Meatballs were the only thing they would eat on the Menu, ( they Pay for it!)but most eat their own food.

Pulled into Taylor, our first stop 2 minutes early. There has been an improvement to the Taylor Amtrak Station, there are now 2 Porta Potties for the Amtrak "Station" since we can no.longer use the UP Station! ( Old Mopac)

Walked the train as I always do after eating, both Coaches mostly Full ( Amtrsk.com showing Coaches "Sold Out").

There are lots of Amish folks in the Coaches and the #422 Sleeper, they have traveled to Mexico for Medical Reasons and to visit Family.

In the #422 Sleeper, the only Vacant room Upstairs is the E Bedroom.

Downstairs, only The Family Bedroom is Vacant.

All the Crew are happy the LD Trains are going back to Daily Status so their friends can return to work and they can bid their " Regular" Trains.

More to come for those interested( the Few,the Proud, the Brave!)

Last edited:
The Adventure continues: Update-

Rolled into Temple right on time, about 10 folks got on in Coach,a few off. I was surprised to see one of the Austin Agents working Temple, hes covering for Vacation this week.

Lunch began @ Noon, most folks had the SCA ( who's working Both Sleepers) deliver their food to their Rooms, I chose to go to the Diner.

Ordered the Cod, which actually was served Hot and was pretty tasty with the Rice,Carrots and Roll( also Hot with Butter)I skipped the Salad, which is Small and had a Diet Coke. The packaged Brownie was also OK, I do miss the Choices for Desert, especially the Cheescake.😍

I found out that the so called Chef is not actually a Chef, hes a LSA heating up the food and serving it to anyone eating in the CCC as the LSA works the Cafe Counter for Coach passengers.

Didnt have to sign my check, which is a new form that looks different, just give them my Room #.

The SCA and Coach Attendamt( 1 each for the Consist) helped out in the Diner and Cafe by delivering food and drink to the Cars.

We made the Cleburne stop on time,2 off, 1 on in Coach. 1 Hour to Ft. Worth per the Conductor as the Sun starts to burn off the Fog and Clouds and it warms up into the 80s.

Rolling into Ft Worth @ 130pm, no #21 today, so should go straight in to the Station unless theres UP Freight or Commuter Traffic around the Station.

To be continued, the good Lord willing and the Creeks dont rise!

Hello Big D:cont.

Rolled into Dallas Right on Time, detrained, walked through the really busy platforms ( TRE/ DART Rush Hours in the Metroplex) to the Basement " Station" where Amtrak is situated, let in by a Security Guard, and waited on the Agent to bring in the Checked Bags.( those wooden Park Benches are really uncomfortable)

Crossed the Street to my Hotel, Checked in and put my stuff away.

Will be riding DART/TRE around Sightseeing for awhile till it's time for Dinner, waiting to hear from my Dallas Area AU friends.

Cloudy,Humid and 80s, weather Changes tonight with a Front and a Chance for Rain, 20 degrees Cooler tomorrow! Springtime in Texas!!!

More to come if you can stand it!😁

Last edited:
I'm enjoying these post-vax trip reports but where are the photos?
pics_or_it_didnt_happen_retro_poster-rafce5a91cfbe4e509401c9434d861ab7_tvw_8byvr_540.jpg

How did I miss the trip report? Thought I read all the posts. Anyways, fun read!

On my Chief, there were also a lot of Amish, much more than I’ve ever seen before.

the Chief also had two separate SCAs thankfully.

What percentage of passengers were properly wearing masks in coach? Did it look like singles were getting both seats in a row?
Everyone had Masks on in the Coaches and all of the OBS!

The Coaches were mostly Full, but the Attendant told me all Singles had Seats to themselves. Some Rows were closed off.

How did I miss the trip report? Thought I read all the posts. Anyways, fun read!

On my Chief, there were also a lot of Amish, much more than I’ve ever seen before.

the Chief also had two separate SCAs thankfully.
Lots of Amish on the Eagle too,( Coach and Sleeper) they'd been to Mexico for Medical and Dental Work and to visit Relatives.

Is non commercial border crossing permitted?
My understanding is that Mexico allows them to cross for Medical reasons and to visit Fsmily, but I'm not a Lawyer, so not sure of the Legalities?? If I'm not mistaken they dont get Paasports which are required to enter other Countries and return to the US for most of us??? ( I can go to Mexico via Plane but not in a Vehicle)

Anyone have info on this???

Back