Im Riding the Eagles after a Year!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That got me thinking about the Capitol Limited. No sightseer car,either. The sightseer car,like decent food,is one of the joys of Amtrak travel. I really hope they reconsider.

Hopefully Full Service will have returned to the Diner ( CCC) and the Sightseer Lounge will be in the consist too!
Yeah, I was wondering how they would do food. I presume sleeper folks still get their meals? But maybe it's box meals instead of regular dining car? I mean, for me the feature of the trip is getting to see my mom but it would be nice to know what to expect on the train

Yeah, I was wondering how they would do food. I presume sleeper folks still get their meals? But maybe it's box meals instead of regular dining car? I mean, for me the feature of the trip is getting to see my mom but it would be nice to know what to expect on the train
As those of us who traveled the Capitol Limited in the years immediately preceding flexfood know, full dining service is possible in a CCC. Half the car was reserved as a dining car with a full menu, the other half was used as a lounge car. I presume that's what they're planning on doing with the Eagle when they resume full dining service. Perhaps they calculate that passenger loads are still going to be light even after resumption of 7 day a week service and a significant portion of sleeper passengers will still want to be served in their rooms. Thus, they may not need a full sized dining car.

Remember reading some time ago that Amtrak accounting looks at how much revenue does a given car bring it compared to costs. Coach, Sleeper bring more revenue than the nominal costs of upkeep on the car. Baggage, Dinner and lounge cars do not carry paid customers per se and so are considered "negative" costs when one consider the amount of upkeep and fuel to haul around. I don't agree with this but I bet its the thinking in removing the SSL.

Remember reading some time ago that Amtrak accounting looks at how much revenue does a given car bring it compared to costs. Coach, Sleeper bring more revenue than the nominal costs of upkeep on the car. Baggage, Dinner and lounge cars do not carry paid customers per se and so are considered "negative" costs when one consider the amount of upkeep and fuel to haul around. I don't agree with this but I bet its the thinking in removing the SSL.
And, of course, the "costs" are probably all "loaded" with overhead so they are more than the actual costs, whereas the revenue is just the actual revenue. So, of course, it's impossible to win this game. They really do need a more rational accounting system. I'm not sure who with power is going to take Amtrak management by the scruff of their metaphoric neck and make them do something about it. It's even possible that the big shot executives don't even understand this stuff, or it's just laziness, and "that's the way its always been done."

That got me thinking about the Capitol Limited. No sightseer car,either. The sightseer car,like decent food,is one of the joys of Amtrak travel. I really hope they reconsider.
No Sightseer over the Alleghenies?
Might as well convert to Viewliners and Amfleet now, and send the Superliners “out west”...

No Sightseer over the Alleghenies?
Might as well convert to Viewliners and Amfleet now, and send the Superliners “out west”...
I agree, I think all Eastern routes (maybe with an exception of the CONO and of course the AT) should be Viewliners.

Back