Increased Security in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtabern

Conductor
I wonder if anyone is noticing the increased security in Chicago? I was at Union Station on Saturday 5/5 for a day trip to Springfield (down on 301, up on 22)... and wow... security was as tight as I've ever seen it. Before the 7AM departure of 301, an Amtrak police officer went around the boarding gate area and was checking to make sure everyone had a ticket. While it's always technically been the policy you're only allowed past the double glass doors (between the ticket agent/Hertz counter and the gates/gift shop/bathroom) if you have a ticket -- this is only the second time in all my travels I have ever seen it actually enforced. A couple of people were even thrown out of the station because they were there without a ticket. I guess it's a good thing... but I was surprised to see it actually being enforced.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, I took the Hia to Milwaukee and noticed the Police were present at the gate conducting random ticket checks. I haven't seen them do this in a while.

At CUS (gosh I feel like I'm startin' to get around) :lol: They would not let me proceed into the waiting area for the trains without showing my train ticket and my ID. It was at the place where the service desk was and you walk in and the bathrooms are directly in front of you along with the Metropolitan Lounge. There was a cop present as well. This was 4/29.

The police and their dogs were roaming throughout Union Station last night as I cruised through CUS to get to my Metra train. My parents raised German Shepherds when I was growing up and we had some big dogs, but the dogs I saw last night were really big. That alone was enough to give me pause or paws, depending on your perspective!

Last edited by a moderator:
We were through CHI inbound 04-06 and outbound 04-07.

Never saw much of anything extra is security. Which is probably planned mind you.

We boarded through the Metro Lounge.

I wonder if the "Do not Let Fly" lists also apply to AMTRAK? I would think so, otherwise checking your ID is just so much wasted busywork.

Since they don't run it through any computers (and it would be absolutely impossible for someone to remember everybody that's on some kind of restricted list), then checking IDs doesn't provide "security" in the anti-terrorism sense. What it does do (in theory), is prevent someone from using a stolen ticket to ride.

I wonder if any perceived increase in security was due to the investigation and arrest of the group that was plotting to attack Fort Dix in NJ? Seems to always be a corolation between increased security and some terror-breakup or threat event somewhere in the country.

I wonder if anyone is noticing the increased security in Chicago? I was at Union Station on Saturday 5/5 for a day trip to Springfield (down on 301, up on 22)... and wow... security was as tight as I've ever seen it. Before the 7AM departure of 301, an Amtrak police officer went around the boarding gate area and was checking to make sure everyone had a ticket. While it's always technically been the policy you're only allowed past the double glass doors (between the ticket agent/Hertz counter and the gates/gift shop/bathroom) if you have a ticket -- this is only the second time in all my travels I have ever seen it actually enforced. A couple of people were even thrown out of the station because they were there without a ticket. I guess it's a good thing... but I was surprised to see it actually being enforced.

How lucky I am that in Germany you have free access to any platform without having a ticket..

.. I think we have to call that somehow " Free Country..?"

Wkaemena, in my opinion, in this country a lot of Homeland Security efforts are directed toward generating "feel good" attitudes toward security rather than increasing actual security. Examples abound, but this activity around railroad stations sounds like one of them. In upper New York state last week, they were even performing random examinations of baggage. A recent test of baggage and personal screening at Logan Airport revealed that 60% of the time the effort failed to find prohibited items or simulated explosives. Logan is the airport from which two of the 9-11 planes originated, and it had the worst failure rate of any of the airports tested.

Youur country has the reputation of having very capable security services. Maybe they understand something that we don't.

Security in the US is still pretty lax but unfortunately there is some slow and annoying increases that really don't do much.

How lucky I am that in Germany you have free access to any platform without having a ticket.... I think we have to call that somehow " Free Country..?"
Well it has always been that way in Germany, Switzerland, probably many otehr countries. However, in France (at Paris Gare de Lyons) you aren't allowed to proceed past the bumper blocks and onto the platform until boarding, and then only with a ticket.

Large terminals and many smaller stations in the US have always had restricted platform access, not so much for security but for safety reasons. It's not unlike an airport, where you can't proceed past the gate until boarding (not a good example). The German traveling public does seem to be a lot more responsible and experienced in terms of finding the right track, getting on the right train, getting off at the right stop etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back