Is a roomette two people or one?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I redeem AGR points for a roomette, is that two people or one?
Roomettes are for one to two people, and when using AGR you get up to two people for the price of your ticket. If it's just you, that's okay too.

You also get free meals for as long as you're on the train for the number of people in your roomette. So in a sense you're paying for two whether your traveling alone or with someone, did that make sense?

I'll be doing that in a few weeks, as my husband isn't able to accompany me on my trip, so I'll be traveling alone in my roomette and forfeiting the second person meals.

Roomettes are for one to two people, and when using AGR you get up to two people for the price of your ticket. If it's just you, that's okay too.

You also get free meals for as long as you're on the train for the number of people in your roomette. So in a sense you're paying for two whether your traveling alone or with someone, did that make sense?

I'll be doing that in a few weeks, as my husband isn't able to accompany me on my trip, so I'll be traveling alone in my roomette and forfeiting the second person meals.
Yeah I have had to do that more than once... oh well - it is still a good deal as compared to buying the roomette even at low bucket - for one or for two...

Or if you look at it the other way, the second person goes free!

That's why I invited Alan on my trip to the FL mini-Gathering. It didn't cost anything extra - and besides I'm CHEAP!
laugh.gif
(I figured how better to impress or bribe "the boss" than with a free trip!
mosking.gif
)

So I could do a roundtrip from Toledo to Orlando (1 zone) for two people in a roomette for 30000 points? Would that include the roomette on both trains (layover in Washington)?

i always travel by myself in a roomette. I often wonder why i am not entitled to two breakfasts, lunches, dinners since i could have someone accompanying me, i just dont. im a big eater and the meals amtrak serves are too small for me. if i could have a little bit extra each meal, it would be great.

So I could do a roundtrip from Toledo to Orlando (1 zone) for two people in a roomette for 30000 points? Would that include the roomette on both trains (layover in Washington)?
Unless I've missed something, that trip should only cost 15,000 points.

That's why I invited Alan on my trip to the FL mini-Gathering. It didn't cost anything extra - and besides I'm CHEAP!
laugh.gif
mosking.gif
)
If you were really cheap, you would have made him pay! :p

As I understand the AGR program, a layover in Washington, D.C. makes it a two zone trip (which since April 1st would require 20,000 pints for the single trip).

laugh.gif
mosking.gif
)
I called my oldest sister a couple days ago figuring to have some sister re-bonding time together, but unfortunately she couldn't meet me at either of my two departure cities (HUN or CIN). Bummer. It would have been fun traveling together.

laugh.gif
mosking.gif
)
If you were really cheap, you would have made him pay! :p
I tried, but Alan promised me my next paycheck would be 10 times the usual, so I agreed!

Then after the trip, I realized that $-0- times 10 is still $-0-!
wacko.gif

I am taking a trip on points later this year -- and I THINK I will be traveling alone -- but, I put my sweetie on the ticket just so it would be ticked for two. They promised me I could change the second name later if I wanted, so now I have it out to my family in case anyone wants to tag along for one or more legs of the trip. I presume I can change till the day before, as I'll pick the tickets up just before boarding (the station has machines). If no one signs on for the trip, sweetie will be a no-show.

I would suggest you call and have the name added as soon as you

know for certain, then you will have the tickets when you arrive

at the station and print them. The dining car folks will have

both names on their manifest too. Have a fun trip.

So if I wanted to redeem points for two in a bedroom on the Coast Starlight from SAN to SEA, the 25,000 points would also cover both tickets on the Surfliner, right? And no extra points needed for Business Class? Am I understanding this correctly?

So if I wanted to redeem points for two in a bedroom on the Coast Starlight from SAN to SEA, the 25,000 points would also cover both tickets on the Surfliner, right? And no extra points needed for Business Class? Am I understanding this correctly?
You are correct! :)

No extra points needed for the Surfliner.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct! :)

No extra points needed for the Surfliner.
That is awesome!!!! :giggle: We were talking about taking that very same run to do the whole CS route. Thanks for the info, Alan!

Back