Is Acela worth the extra cost if I'm not in a hurry?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak George

Lead Service Attendant
I'm looking to ride from New York to Boston soon and am interested in the advantages of Acela over Regional (other than the obvious factor of speed). I'd also like input as to whether it is worth it to book first class on Acela versus business class (what are the differences in seats and perks)?

1. Acela has fewer stops thus fewer slow down and speed ups

2. First Class includes a meal at your seat

3. First Class has more seat and leg room

4. Acela to me is more comfortable and easier to do my work traveling

5. Regionals are usually considerably cheaper

6. If it makes a difference, there seem to be fewer children on the Acelas

I'm looking to ride from New York to Boston soon and am interested in the advantages of Acela over Regional (other than the obvious factor of speed). I'd also like input as to whether it is worth it to book first class on Acela versus business class (what are the differences in seats and perks)?
I just posted a trip report about Acela first class in the trip report forum. First is a huge step up from business or coach, but I don't think Acela business is much of a step up from coach or regional business.

I decided to treat us to a ride on an Acela, instead of our normal Regional. Of course, my luck, the Acela had a medical emergency onboard, and thus we arrived way, way later than planned. I think this also made us loose our place in line, because we meandered quite slow for the rest of the trip.

So for us, upgrading to the Acela was a complete and total waste of money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used both the Regional's and the Acela's many times. My trips have either been from Metropark (NJ) or occasionally from PHL to WAS, so they are short trips.

The time savings on the Acela to WAS from this area is only about 15-30 minutes. The cost of an Acela trip in business class is 4X the price, add 8X for first class. While comfort on train trips is great to have, the extra amenities of the Acela don't really add all that much on short trips. There is the other option of Regional business class for a few bucks more and those coaches are usually less crowded than the other regional coaches.

With all of the NE services, we are talking about the size of the chair, a small savings of time, a large differential in cost and with Acela first class a small amount of food and drink.

As one who usually purchases the highest level of service on Amtrak LD trips; I view the WAS trips as commuter type travel and alternate on what is available.

Look at it this way: Acela is there to provide a premium product for people who have money to blow. Since moving to yield management I've cut back on my Amtrak travel on the NEC. Amtrak has all but admitted (not openly, of course) that they are not trying to compete with any of the bus operators.

Look at it this way: Acela is there to provide a premium product for people who have money to blow. Since moving to yield management I've cut back on my Amtrak travel on the NEC. Amtrak has all but admitted (not openly, of course) that they are not trying to compete with any of the bus operators.
There's no need to lower fares to "compete" with bus companies when the trains have extremely high patronage, though some obviously would have less passengers than others (how many tourists or vacationers would want to leave on train 190 at 3:15am, other than the few need to get to BWI or EWR?

If I can afford to ride Acela First class, I take it every time hand's down.

That said, I rarely could justify it. But it's OH SO MUCH NICER than Regional, business or coach.

Nice as Acela FC is, (especially if YOU don't have to pay the High Prices!)I still preferred the old Metroliners in Club Class between WAS,PHL and NYP.

We used the Acela between WAS and BOS for the time savings, work productivity on the train, and being able to seat four of us together at a table with our laptops. Now FC was never authorized, so we were always BC. Time was money thus the Acela. Also, flying is such a hassle and no productivity is possible, and little or no time is saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back