Is it safe to book Bakersfield to NOL?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colobok

Service Attendant
Bus 5802 arrives to LAX at 2:30pm and Sunset departs at 3pm, is it too close?

Is it possible that bus is late and I will miss my Sunset and will be stuck in LA for several days?

I don't really want to drive 2.5 hrs, but if there is a chance to miss Sunset I will probably drive instead.

I understand that this bus is waiting for southbound San Joaquin. So if SJ is late - will this bus be also delayed?

Is it possible that bus is late and I will miss my Sunset and will be stuck in LA for several days?

I don't really want to drive 2.5 hrs, but if there is a chance to miss Sunset I will probably drive instead.

I understand that this bus is waiting for southbound San Joaquin. So if SJ is late - will this bus be also delayed?
It appears to be a guaranteed connection, for what it's worth. If it's missed, Amtrak would either put you up in hotel, or charter another bus to "catch" the Sunset. Most likely, Amtrak "knows" how many pax are connecting from the bus, and will simply hold the Sunset.
It's a close connection, but the Sunset has a ton of padding built into it's overall schedule.

I'd be a bit nervous about this connection. Yes, if the San Joaquin is late into Bakersfield, the bus will wait. If traffic is OK, the bus can make the trip to Los Angeles Union Station in two hours. But, if the freeways into LA are congested, then the trip could take longer. Thirty minutes is not much cushion. Since the Sunset runs only three days a week, a mis-connect is not easily rebooked.

Did you think about using bus 5872 at 8:35am out of BFD? I know that would give you over four hours to kill at LAX, but it would provide a little piece of mind over making your connection.

This is just speculation, but if the bus was late could they simply continue the bus on from LA Union Station and bus pax to catch up with the train? I know this is done in some other circumstances around the country, but I'm not familiar with this connection. If it were me, I'd do it since its a guaranteed connection. But I also tend to cut my connections very close and am willing to live a little on the 'edge.' So I would not necessarily advise others to do the same thing.

In fact, the SL's departure time was pushed back from 2:30 to 3:00 SPECIFICALLY to allow a connection with that thruway bus from BFD- to allow a connection - and a guaranteed connection at that!
cool.gif
The SL/TE will wait for the Thruway (if not to late) or Amtrak will make other arrangements.

There are two or three buses in Bakersfield. One is for passengers making a connecting train. This bus departs ASAP and goes non-stop to LAX. Make sure youre on it. It's always the first bus out.

The other one or two LA buses are for those terminating in LA, and these buses sometimes stop in Burbank.

Note that if the SJ is VERY late, then sometimes the buses will be dispatched if there are Bakersfield customers ready to go. This is rare, as the SJ has an excellent on time record. In my experience, the SJ usually pulls into Bakersfield 10 minutes early.

I've ridden the BFD-LAX buses a number of times. Even when I was on a bus making additional stops, I've always gotten in early.

Just make sure to get onto that direct bus, and you'll have plenty of time.

I'd be a bit nervous about this connection. Yes, if the San Joaquin is late into Bakersfield, the bus will wait. If traffic is OK, the bus can make the trip to Los Angeles Union Station in two hours. But, if the freeways into LA are congested, then the trip could take longer. Thirty minutes is not much cushion. Since the Sunset runs only three days a week, a mis-connect is not easily rebooked.

Did you think about using bus 5872 at 8:35am out of BFD? I know that would give you over four hours to kill at LAX, but it would provide a little piece of mind over making your connection.
Thank you for this useful info...........I was trying to find where the bus arrives at LAX............my booking only says LA, but I have a flight to catch from LAX back to Aus

This is just speculation, but if the bus was late could they simply continue the bus on from LA Union Station and bus pax to catch up with the train? I know this is done in some other circumstances around the country, but I'm not familiar with this connection. If it were me, I'd do it since its a guaranteed connection. But I also tend to cut my connections very close and am willing to live a little on the 'edge.' So I would not necessarily advise others to do the same thing.
I suppose it also depends on whether the bus is needed on some other service after that.

Otherwise they could get you a taxi to catch up with the train.

Thank you for this useful info...........I was trying to find where the bus arrives at LAX............my booking only says LA, but I have a flight to catch from LAX back to Aus
If you are on an Amtrak bus to Los Angeles, then it will arrive at LA Union Station, which is downtown. To get to LAX airport, your best bet will be to use the FlyAway bus, which runs nonstop between the two, for $7. However, do note that the Thruway bus terminal where Amtrak buses stop is not the same place where the Flyaway bus boards. You will need to walk through the station and along the tunnel leading to the various tracks (Amtrak/Metrolink trains). At the other end, go upstairs and you'll be in the transit bus terminal. The Flyaway departs from the far end of the transit terminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back