Is it worth stopping at the Portland, OR Metropolitan Club?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phila 30th St

Service Attendant
Next week I'm riding the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Portland, OR. As I'm in a sleeping car I know I have access to the Portland Metropolitan Club. After arrival at Portland is it worth popping in? I will have a few hours to kill unless the train is grossly late. Thank you!

Last time I went, I stopped in the lounge then went for a walking tour of the city. If you have to wait at the station, that would be a nice spot to hang out.

Next week I'm riding the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Portland, OR. As I'm in a sleeping car I know I have access to the Portland Metropolitan Club. After arrival at Portland is it worth popping in? I will have a few hours to kill unless the train is grossly late. Thank you!
It's a quiet surroundings compared to the main terminal. You will have soft drinks and coffe available as well as local newpapers and TV. There is luggage storage if you wish to take a stroll. The Byways diner is a short distance away and is

very good.

#1 - You're entitled to use it.

#2 - You need to check in at PDX for all trains, and the place for sleeping car passengers to check in - is the Metropolitan Lounge!

Are you starting in PDX or connecting off the EB? :huh: If connecting, why not use it - at least part of the time? :huh: If you are just leaving from there, as I said you need to check in there anyway. I have friends in PDX, so between arriving on the EB in the morning and departing on the CS in the afternoon, I went to visit them. Upon my return to Union Station, I had to check in at the Lounge - but then I went right out the door to the CS!

#2 - You need to check in at PDX for all trains, and the place for sleeping car passengers to check in - is the Metropolitan Lounge!

Are you starting in PDX or connecting off the EB? :huh: If connecting, why not use it - at least part of the time? :huh: If you are just leaving from there, as I said you need to check in there anyway. I have friends in PDX, so between arriving on the EB in the morning and departing on the CS in the afternoon, I went to visit them. Upon my return to Union Station, I had to check in at the Lounge - but then I went right out the door to the CS!
I concur.

If you choose to explore downtown you can leave your carry-ons free and safely in the Club. The Club is comfortably furnished with television to watch and non-alcoholic beverages served.

A grand old station, the lounge is small but as the other members have said definitely worth checking out while you wait! Downtown Portland is a nice place to walk around in (if its not raining! :lol: ), and the local transportation is first rate (light rail/busses and trolleys!)! Google Portland, its a neat place!

(and youre riding a great train for sure! :cool: )

The lounge in Portland is well worth checking out. It's small but comfortable. If you're up for a walk and a good meal, check out Jake's Crawfish House. Excellent food and a great price. Neat history, too, if you like that sort of thing. It's a few short blocks from the station. (But then I walk a lot due to diabetes and the need to exercise. What might be a short walk for me could well be a long one for someone else!).

One thing to consider: When does the Metropolitan Lounge in Portland close? Presumably, it exists primarily/only for sleeping car passengers (and, maybe, the few SelectPlus members traveling to/from Portland). If the lounge's hours are based around the schedule of sleeping car passengers, then the lounge probably closes when the Empire Builder leaves at 4:45 pm. The northbound Coast Starlight doesn't arrive too much earlier than that (only an hour). So, if you wanted to check in, leave your stuff at the lounge and walk around Portland, you'd probably only have an hour to do so.

I do believe there is WiFi available.

The OP said he was arriving in PDX from LAX. I don't think there is any connection involved.

Thank you for all the replies! I am indeed arriving on the Coast Starlight and terminating in Portland. I have a 6 PM dinner reservation at Huber's (anyone a fan of that place?) and wouldn't mind a place to check my email, grab a newspaper and relax before heading into the city. Can't wait for the trip!

Sometimes Amtrak wi-fi can be hit-or-miss in the lounges. I had WiFi available back in September when I was there.

Thank you for all the replies! I am indeed arriving on the Coast Starlight and terminating in Portland. I have a 6 PM dinner reservation at Huber's (anyone a fan of that place?) and wouldn't mind a place to check my email, grab a newspaper and relax before heading into the city. Can't wait for the trip!

I'm currently wathching the History Channeel. Huber's is being featured as one of Portland's most famous underground (below street level)

illegal speakeasy and brothels of Portland! Portland Rose was the madamn. Very Interesting!!!

RF :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back