Just Curious.........

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Train Attendant
My family and I just completed a circle trip of sorts from Chicago to San Francisco, then on to Los Angeles, returning to the Chicago area. We had deluxe and family bedrooms the entire trip. I noticed that Amtrak is now running all sleepers to the front of the train where as in past years, sleepers were always to the rear. Why the change? Silly question perhaps, but I'm curious...thanks!

I'm sure there is a better explanation (or correct one), but here is my thought. Amtrak is wanting to use transition sleepers to earn some revenue. Since this has been right behind the baggage cars on every train that I've seen (although my exposure pales in comaparison to some here), it kind of makes sense putting all the sleepers together. It kind of gives more of a seperation between first class and coach and allows one half of the diner to service sleepers and the other have coach (cash). Also a benefit (to some anyway) of a shorter walk to the diner or lounge.

I don't know if sleepers were "always" on the rear. It really depends on the train and the specific situation.

The California Zephyr used to run with sleepers on the rear in one direction, and at the front in the other, because the train couldn't be wyed in Oakland.

Most trains today operate with sleepers at the front, but a few still operate them at the rear: The Portland section of the Empire Builder, the Texas Eagle, City of New Orleans are a couple of examples.

The move to place the sleepers at the head of the trains, by and large, seemed to occur around the time that Amtrak originally started carrying freight on the rear.

Since sleeper pax are paying premium prices, it makes sense to place those customers in what is esentially the smoothest riding area of the train. The farther back you go from the engine, the rougher the ride gets. It's kind of like the old game of crack the whip.

When they added freight, the extra length, not to mention the very nature of those cars, made for a rougher ride. So with few exceptions, as noted by Robert, Amtrak moved the sleepers to the front of the train in an attempt to provide the smoothest ride for its first class passengers.

AlanB said:
The move to place the sleepers at the head of the trains, by and large, seemed to occur around the time that Amtrak originally started carrying freight on the rear.
Since sleeper pax are paying premium prices, it makes sense to place those customers in what is esentially the smoothest riding area of the train. The farther back you go from the engine, the rougher the ride gets. It's kind of like the old game of crack the whip.

When they added freight, the extra length, not to mention the very nature of those cars, made for a rougher ride. So with few exceptions, as noted by Robert, Amtrak moved the sleepers to the front of the train in an attempt to provide the smoothest ride for its first class passengers.
On one trip, I was riding in the sleeper on #5 that was right in front of the freight cars. Coming through Nebreska and eastern colorado I experienced some pretty good side to side jerks. At one point my mini-disc player and speakers ended up on the floor. I suspect it was a combination of the freight cars and the tracks.

Steve4031 said:
On one trip, I was riding in the sleeper on #5 that was right in front of the freight cars. Coming through Nebreska and eastern colorado I experienced some pretty good side to side jerks. At one point my mini-disc player and speakers ended up on the floor. I suspect it was a combination of the freight cars and the tracks.
Yup.

The Zephyr line through Nebraska has always been rough (well, not "always," but for quite some time). The ride was horrible, even in the dining car that was towards the front of the train. The freight cars might have contributed something, but I'd wager that the tracks had a lot more to do with it.

Back